Ford Diesel / Tow Rig section??

cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Post by cs_drums »

So I tried a few diesel forums and just haven't clicked with any of them. Any interest in having a Diesel/Tow rig section? Founding fathers could this happen? I'm gonna be doing a lot of work to my 7.3 soonish and would love to have and area to ask/share info with the other guys here.

Thoughts?
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Re: Ford Diesel / Tow Rig section??

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Which ones have you tried Brian? And not sure if you spend much time on the ladies social book (FaceBook) but there may be a group there. Seems lots of guys from different forum are ditching the forums for facebook from what I've heard.

I personally get some decent info on FTE (ford-trucks.com) on the 70's stuff & cummins swap info, but sub forum to sub forum can vary greatly on the quality of info and members on some of the huge pages like that.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

There are a couple of us F350 guys on here. There is a Non Bronco section in rides.
cwrisley
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco..........

Post by cwrisley »

I'd be interested in this too. I'm always looking for good info on my F250 tow pig.
Bondobob
Bronco Info: 1987 XLT 5.0 in the family since new in May of 1987

Post by Bondobob »

I'm in... here's my one owner '96 7.3 work truck. She would love a Baja F250 style suspension some day... Oh and I love the no smog status!
cs_drums

Post by cs_drums »

I waited years to get mine from my buddy. His dad bought it new every option available. I had tones of great memories before it was even mine. 99 F350 7.3 195k mi. Built tranny, tuner, 5" cat back, updated to 07 lights/grill. 2" springs in front and 315 BFG KO2. I have a 6.0 trans cooler waiting to go in and I'm going to be rebuilding the turbo with a wicked wheel and bearing upgrades. I didn't think I could love another truck as much as my bronco till I got this. Image
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Yard ornament that will one day be a tow rig. No 7.3 though. It's got a 5.9 instead.
0521131844a.jpg
0521131844a.jpg (85.06 KiB) Viewed 952 times
Tchajagos
Bronco Info: 1993 xlt stock on 33' BFGs

Post by Tchajagos »

Is the 5.9 in it yet?
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Yep, got to Love the F350. Mine is a 1999 also, 165,000 on it with Hummer recentered 24 bolt dual beadlocks and 37"x12.50"x16.5 BFG Baja TA tires. It has a ProComp 6in lift with some upgrades to the hardware and Bilstein dual shocks up front and single Bilstein shocks In the rear. The transmission is a complete upgrade and over built by Valley Transmissions after breaking down at the Baja 1000 a few years back up on San Telmo Road on the way up to the BFG pit. I have made a simple removable chase rack for it and an every swing away tire holder for it.

I just had 2 fuel injectors go bad, that was a rude awakening. $400 each for new Factory Injectors. Not like a Gas injector.

Ramsey and Josh on the strap at the 500 after the motor blew in the Class 8, Paul and Chris Wilson know this Chevy. Glen spent many hours on the truck.

cs_drums

Post by cs_drums »

My brother is interested in the wheel tire setup you have. Do you have the info?
tvoymang
Bronco Info: (Former) 90' Bronco 351W

Post by tvoymang »

I love my truck. 07 with 113k. Best diesel I've ever owned. I'd love to see a tow rig section.

1Hondalover
Bronco Info: Having so much fun with friends in Baja, we're not sure if we want to race NORRA.....

Post by 1Hondalover »

Love all these Fords! I wanted a V-10 Lariat on purpose for silence and simplicity, and since this tow truck is mostly dedicated to towing the Bronco it sits 90% of the time in the barn. Of course the mileage sucks and torque not near the 6.0, but a few 5 Star goodies should make the only downfall of this truck just fine. Like any other SD owner, I dream of having a full compliment of Carli suspension under it one of these days.

Like most everyone else we love the Super Duty. We searched specifically for an 05-07 white 350 short bed crew cab 4x4 with gray leather, loaded with the gas engine. Damn near every SD like this in CA is a 6.0, so we found this in Seattle with 105K for $17K. Hardly a scratch on it so a steal.....the only bad thing on the truck is the mirrors. They suck really bad but I have yet to replace them with the 08 up version.
IMG_2752.JPG
IMG_2752.JPG (758.94 KiB) Viewed 926 times
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Tchajagos wrote:Is the 5.9 in it yet?
Been sitting in it since '09 or so. Has not been fired up in it yet though.
The thing started out as just an engine swap & ended up as a most of the entire truck resto/rebuild. Knowing what I know now I shoulda pulled it down to the frame & started fresh, but I've almost done that at this point. Need to pull the cab & clean up the frame under it & then it'll be a clean/redone frame from tip to tip. All rivets are out of the truck aside from the ones under the cab too. I want to, but don't want to take the time to do that.
cwrisley
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco..........

Post by cwrisley »

I also love my 6.8L. Drinks like no other but sure does tow nice. Mine is ready for some 35" BFGs and a level kit.

Wrightracing.net

cs_drums wrote:My brother is interested in the wheel tire setup you have. Do you have the info?
Now I have the 24 Bolt military beadlocks from a Humvee. I went with the equally spaced version which is rated at 50 psi. I had the rims converted to 8x170mm 14mx2.0 lug nut holes. I got the pressed center section that put the back spacing to 3.5 from the Humvee 7 backspacing. It worked out well. The tire don't rub on the leaf springs like the OEM 16x7 rims did with 35" BFG AT 35x12.5 tires.
At full lock right or left the inner fender rubs but only if I hit a bump at the same time. I just need to move the inner fender back to the firewall and I will be good to go.

I went to Alpha Tread in Tuson. Prices on shipping to a local shipping terminal where I picked up was under $140 to San Diego for 5 tires and rims.

Rims were the expensive part at $250 each, but for a heavy duty dual beadlock, painted black, it was not a bad deal at $1800 total with 5 rims, 5 - 100% tread on 4 tires and one free spare with 90% tread. All mounted and balanced, which the balancing has been perfect for the last 5 months even at 90 mph on the freeway, contrary to many Other forum reports, no problem here and no stupid airsoft BB'S in my tires. The also put the insert in the tire to replace the heavy runflat to make it a true dual beadlock. I have heard a bunch of guys are getting ripped off when they blow a bead to find out there was nothing holding the bead in place after the runflat was removed.

I hope that helps. Oh and they are heavy tire and rim combos, but on the tow rig/chase truck diesel 7.3L Turbo, aftermarket intake and the computer program set the horse power around 395HP and 485FLBS
Of torque, it does well with 3.73-1 gears. I have been thinking of getting a big enclosed trailer, then I will need to upgrade my axle gears to 4.30-1 gears.

Great company to deal with
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

Speaking of wheel upgrades...
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
cs_drums

Post by cs_drums »

I love that truck! I was all lined up to get it form Willie but my buddy offered me the 7.3 and I couldn't turn it down. When is the supercharger going on
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

cs_drums wrote:I love that truck! I was all lined up to get it form Willie but my buddy offered me the 7.3 and I couldn't turn it down. When is the supercharger going on
The supercharger is going on my other F250.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
cs_drums

Post by cs_drums »

Nice!
funinthesun95
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco MAF UsShift

Post by funinthesun95 »

sweet truck.....
Good people + Great info = GFB