Possible future build. Need input, ideas, etc

Silverslk
Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Baur Bronco......GONE to a better home

Possible future build. Need input, ideas, etc

Post by Silverslk »

So, a l little background. My mom and dad moved to oklahoma many years ago. Then in 2010 my dad passed. His favorite van was left to me. I was visiting for the holidays (where it stays until my mom moves out here this year) and it hit me... This might be a great chase/Baja van. I'm not getting rid of it, so might as well make it useful to my lifestyle.

It's a 1995 E350 powerstroke diesel cargo van. It's got 156,000 on it and runs good. It has no interior in the back so it's a perfect canvas.... Thoughts?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (203.82 KiB) Viewed 687 times
Rmc
El Jefe
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

Re: Possible future build. Need input, ideas, etc

Post by Rmc »

I'd hit up a truck place that deals in bed tool boxes and van shelving interior, if it was me I'd do tool boxes/shelves down half and you could do 1-2 fold out cots on the other side. Fold the cots up and still plenty of room for dirtbikes or gear or whatever. I would probably see about a heater/ac unit for the roof if I was going to use it as my camp out/recon type vehicle.. You could add an rv side window too if you wanted.

Gas can racks on the rear bumper with a roof rack/ lightbar with aux side lights and an awning.
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

Camburg kit, 2 rows of removable sets and tons of gear. 33" BFGs and some Alcoas. Good lights all around and put a locker in the rear, use the hell out of it. Awesome that it's a diesel!
Silverslk

Post by Silverslk »

I'm trying to avoid making it more RV than multipurpose vehicle but thinking.. Cage, roof A.C./heat, bent beams, removable seats for rear that allows variations in seating capacity (using race seats) and fold down bunk beds built in to walls(cage).... Probably add passenger van side doors with Windows but wasn't security and privacy so maybe only that for Windows.
Silverslk

Post by Silverslk »

Awning sounds like a must have as does the locker
Rmc
El Jefe
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

Post by Rmc »

If you want to get it wired up for accessories, ac unit ect. My old neighbor ( 20 year vet from giant rv) does retrofits, conversions ect out of his house as side jobs. Dude knows his stuff, I saw him take a POS 60's trailer, strip it reframe and re-panel inside and out, adding windows, changing the floor plan, new kitchen and bath. Every facet or rv's is his business and he's super cheap. I can get roof ac units for around 4-500$. I'll send you his way if you want to make a self contained baja assault vehicle lol
damon1272

Post by damon1272 »

Contact Spirit. Jeremy and Steve have done TTB conversions and they work great off road!
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Andy, what's the plan/goal?

Vans can be cool as capable, mini RV type setups, but not sure I'm totally getting the cage or race seats. I assume this would be something to take camping & go spectate races in? If so cool, but for as big as this thing is I'm not sure you'll be hauling the mail in it & needing a cage.
I'm not normally one to try & talk someone out of caging something, but with something like this would you ever be running it at a speed to where it would be really needed?
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

Glen at Complete Fabrication that built the Yellow early Race Bronco with Chris Wilson has done a bunch of TTB van conversions. That would be a great addition. Also, put a full front to rear roof rack for additional storage.
Silverslk

Post by Silverslk »

The cage really just comes from the safety aspect of having family with me and never knowing what terrain you could end up in. As for 4wd conversion... Depends how much time I spend on a strap before I dump money into that type of thing.
Smart Alex
Bronco Info: 1991 351. lightweight special

Post by Smart Alex »

Chop the top, shorten the wheelbase, link it, tub it, I beams and a pissed off l.s. custom bad ass fiberglass and paint it tundra metallic hunter green. Finish it by 2018
yikes
Founder
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff

Post by yikes »

Just paint free candy on the sides and call it a day.
Silverslk

Post by Silverslk »

Both excellent ideas....
Cactus Cooler
Bronco Info: 90 Bronco EB EDITION

Post by Cactus Cooler »

I'm thinking something like this.... add some plush orange shag carpet inside, a neon oval Plexiglas bubble window in the rear panels and some sweet old school 5 spoke craigers and call it done ! And call it "The Mystery Machine" Ghhhrrrrrrr hhrrrrrr!
Attachments
the_real_scooby_doo_van.jpg
the_real_scooby_doo_van.jpg (60.26 KiB) Viewed 605 times
dtbback
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Post by dtbback »

6 inch lift, 35s, rooftop heater/ac, full roof rack with 360* lighting built around heater/ac, I like the wall cot idea, super comfy removable seats, versatile cargo storage area. Drive and enjoy.
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Here is the setup.

<iframe width="860" height="524" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ecrc_d8u2ls" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="860" height="524" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/jDsWgpEpPog" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://agileoffroad.com/wordpress/4x4-van-conversion/
Wrightracing.net

I guess YouTube video does not embed on the forum, follow the link then.
Silverslk

Post by Silverslk »

Thanks!!! and I was about to give up on this thread. D50 conversion is cool. What trans and transfer case would I need with the powerstroke?
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Post by cs_drums »

I have spent entirely way to much time thinking about building a van! I toured the whole US in a e150 chateau back in my rockstar days. I would recommend you look for the 3panel sleeper bench out of chateau like we had. It's a regular bench or fold it out and it a big ass bed. I could go on and on with what I would do but the bench I felt I needed to share. For the susp etc I think gears, locker and bent beam kit will get you in all the trouble a van should do.
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Post by cs_drums »

Found some pics of one..
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420429496.235937.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420429496.235937.jpg (135.87 KiB) Viewed 566 times
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420429485.003090.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420429485.003090.jpg (142.7 KiB) Viewed 566 times