ATTN: Skaters-Where to buy a new complete board

SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

ATTN: Skaters-Where to buy a new complete board

Post by SteveG »

So Bella wants to try skating. I spent a lot of time on a board back in the day (was never great, though!). I'm totally out of the loop. Where's a good place to buy a complete without breaking the bank.

BTW: A cheapo will do for Bella. Papa needs a good deck, though!
Nick
Founder
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target

Re: ATTN: Skaters-Where to buy a new complete board

Post by Nick »

Jake may have one for you. He's gonna check.
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Sweet!
Rmc
El Jefe
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

Post by Rmc »

A while back I had to show my nephew how it's done and got myself a board, independent trucks, bones wheels, and most importantly Swiss bearings. Now I'd recommend don't get Swiss bearings, it was so fast in comparison to any board of my nephews I about broke my ass, hips, elbow, wrist ect.. Run the cheapest bearings you can buy till you regain your balance ( just my 2 cents)
I got my board at a local shop. Zooyork deck this time around and a birdhouse before that one. What's cool is back in the day you'd have to ride a board till it broke or started splitting up at the ends. As soon as mine chipped I'd hand it down to my nephew ( he loved it) anyway a blank ( no brand name) deck is 20-40$ As for trucks you don't have to get big dollar either. I wanna say you can get a non " pro board" for 60$ complete and a "pro board " ( nephews terminology not mine) for around 120$ with brand name everything. Most shops are pretty competitive price wise as well. Sport chalet of all places has a huge selection but there expensive like with everything else. Out my way there's a skate shop in the outlets that's dirt cheap so that may be something for you to look into locally in your area.
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

Rmc wrote:Now I'd recommend don't get Swiss bearings, it was so fast in comparison to any board of my nephews I about broke my ass, hips, elbow, wrist ect.. Run the cheapest bearings you can buy till you regain your balance ( just my 2 cents)
Ha! Well my pride says I just gotta have the Swiss bearings but your advise is sound! My ass would probably appreciate the cheap bearings.

Let me ask you ex-skaters this, Who remembers Gordon and Smith trucks?
Nick
Founder

Post by Nick »

Believe it or not. I skated back in the hay day of skating. I'm talking Tony Alva, Stacey Perallta, The Z boys, etc...
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

Nick wrote:Believe it or not. I skated back in the hay day of skating. I'm talking Tony Alva, Stacey Perallta, The Z boys, etc...
Maybe it's time to take it up again!

GFB skate crew, yo!
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

Hmmm, a GFB deck for a Christmas auction?
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

I'd like to see Nick on a skateboard. That'd be awesosome.
Nick
Founder

Post by Nick »

hobbyturnedobsession wrote:I'd like to see Nick on a skateboard. That'd be awesosome.
F you, Randy! LOL!
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

Nick wrote:
hobbyturnedobsession wrote:I'd like to see Nick on a skateboard. That'd be awesosome.
F you, Randy! LOL!
Ha! One of the upsides to having a board on hand is retaining the opportunity to deliver a board to the back the the head!
Nick
Founder

Post by Nick »

SteveG wrote:
Nick wrote:
F you, Randy! LOL!
Ha! One of the upsides to having a board on hand is retaining the opportunity to deliver a board to the back the the head!
LOL.
Nick
Founder

Post by Nick »

Man, you got me reminiscing over here. That was another big drought era in california. There were empty pools everywhere! We'd have some awesome sessions. There were skate parks all over the place. I'm not talking about what they have today, a little postage stamp sized park. I'm talking acres, half pipes, full pipes, crazy bowls...good times!
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

They skating hay day was a little before my time but I lived it through my older brother and skated a lot just after it... it was good times. I grew up in a small town and it was just what everyone did. If you weren't on a board, it was just weird!

A fond skating memory.... A little while after the hay day of the skate, one of my best friends and I are goofing off on our boards on school grounds (after hours). One of the local GOOD skaters from back in the day sees us and walks over. mind you, he's past his prime, has really let himself go and does not look like someone that could throw down on a board... back to the story. He comes over and tells us we're doing it wrong. He sees we're struggling and tells us to practice in the grass before moving to pavement... good advice. Then he says, "like this." and proceeds to make my board do things I didn't know were possible, makes several perfect landings and says, "later!" and walks away... cue jaw drop.
Nick
Founder

Post by Nick »

[youtube][youtube]www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbWomrZXIus[/youtube][/youtube]
Nick
Founder

Post by Nick »

Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

Old dude still puts it down! Can't do flip tricks anymore but I can still rail slide, crooked grind, 50 grind, tail slide ect. It's good exercise though. My hayday was when tony hawk was 12-13. The search for animal chin era. I used to ride all the g&s stuffback then.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (27.95 KiB) Viewed 369 times
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

What's crazy is the old pros names are still ingrained in my mind. Steve Alva, lance mountain, Kevin stab, Klaus grabkey, tony hawk, Steve cabilero, Christian hasoi, mike McGill, natas kapas, billy ruff, mike vallaley.... Who can you guys remember?
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Don't forget the Hawk!

I've still got a couple of my old Powell boards in the garage. Just put them up yesterday. I've also got a few of the new fangled ones with the tail kick on both ends lying around... Ones I use most now-a-days are the longboard type though & get me from point A to point B
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

When I was into skateboarding I rode world industries slick decks. Heavy but a good deck none the less.