Post by funinthesun95 »

Copy ...all good easy to add something if needed

I don't think you will need it I am only running upper and side flaps
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Re: EBAY 4 Row Radiators...?

Post by tcm glx »

Ok, so here is a quick and dirty update. Put the radiator in on Friday. Drove it around all day friday and saturday, AC blasting. Added a Autometer electric gauge as well. Pretty much stayed stopped at 190 all weekend, regardless of where I was with the exception of driving up the grade to my house. It climbed to about 195-198 when doing that, and then dropped right back down to 190. Only drove around 100-150 miles, all city stop and go. More details to come.
Seabass
Bronco Info: 96 bronco

Post by Seabass »

Tony the wording on your previous post has me concerned. Did you add a port on the radiator or the block?
tcm glx
Peanut Butter

Post by tcm glx »

Radiator
Seabass

Post by Seabass »

You traditionally would want numbers from the other side of the t-stat. You could overheat and have no idea with the probe in the radiator.
tcm glx
Peanut Butter

Post by tcm glx »

On the inlet side?
Seabass

Post by Seabass »

Inlet of the radiator? That wouldn't get warm until the t-stat opens. There's a couple ports you can use. There's ports on the intake manifold I think that will give you a good average number. I've found temp senders in the block or head can give spiked readings.

http://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.ford-tr ... b2a4b9.jpg
tcm glx
Peanut Butter

Post by tcm glx »

That makes sense. Interestingly enough when it's cold I basically don't get a reading until it warms up.

I may look into some other port options. I have a spare sender.
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

My experience
Stock HD trailer cooling from Ford, stock pump, stock stat. Shroud the has close to 1" clearance to the fan all around. You all know where I drive. In the sand washes in high or low range at 100+ ambient the temp gauge never moves. That rad is a single core 2" thick with plastic tanks. And yes I had to add pepper once about 3 years ago because of a small weep on one tank.
So whats new? Added the super hd motor mounts and it raised the motor 3/4" measured at a pulley so I modified the shroud by raising it 1.5" I reshaped the bottom of the shroud and I did not get it as good as I would like because it came out 1.5" clearance. I hope it will be as good as before. Right now I have a 3/4" fan spacer and it looks like it should be 1.5"???
Bottom line recommendation for you all is spend the bucks and keep the cooling system stock. Mods are questionable. Wish me luck.
Paul
VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

My personal experience is this - I was hauling an early bronco last summer at the end of August in AZ with my 96 bronco with a 5.8 and it was getting hot! Like almost to AL in normal and that's too hot. I put a 3 core Champion and its between NO at the same time of year doing the same types of things. I'm not sure if it was just an old radiator or the champion unit but per the gauge it's a dramatic difference. As far as the Ron Davis stuff goes-- I've had a friend with a 69 bronco go thru numerous RD units and do everything to a T to make it happy per RD and they leaked- eventually RD said tough shit. So while the TIG welds at RA are nicer than those on the Champion- when comparing $500 vs $220 shipped and a warranty I'm sticking with Champion or stock. If a known EB guy who lives in Phoenix can't get help from RA then I'm sure as hell not getting any either.
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

Yup I had that story above as well.
Another good reason to choose carefully. Also as I said stock before works with no issues. I have NOT heard bad things about Champion.
Its a good point that if a stock system is running hot then the issue may not even be the radiator. Lots of other issues need to be investigated. The biggest issue would probably be crud in the system and can be easily be remedied.
I wonder who makes the Howe radiators? Anybody have one?
VintageIronFab

Post by VintageIronFab »

I will say though that 3 out of 4 vehicles that did run hot were remedied by a radiator as there was no audible bearing issues, leaking or hard time spinning the water pump. Just crud gets built up and it's just an easy place for deposits to stick and grow.
tcm glx
Peanut Butter

Post by tcm glx »

Well, took the Bronco out to Ocotillo last weekend.

The Truck ran 195 degrees virtually ALL WEEKEND in 100-102 degree weather. AC running, 4 wheel drive turning. Twice a small jump to 200, and then right back down to 195, that was in SOFT SOFT sand with the AC on Max. Happened twice, on the way east bound on that sandy patch and then again on the way west bound. Overall, very pleased so far.
funinthesun95
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco MAF UsShift

Post by funinthesun95 »

good to hear T

did you look at griffin by chance? when shopping

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/gri-1 ... /overview/
VintageIronFab

Post by VintageIronFab »

When you can buy a Champion 3 core off EBay for $205 shipped or $255 shipped I couldnt see using the griffin personally
mobil1syn
Bronco Info: 1996 - operation mijo hauler

Post by mobil1syn »

a tank is leaking on my 96, so time to replace it. so how the champion one holding up?
VintageIronFab

Post by VintageIronFab »

I can only speak about the 3 core -- it works great-- I bought a 4 core for my truck. They literally all come out of CA so if you order tomorrow you will easily see it in 2 days. You might look around and find a seller that's out of CA to avoid the Peoples Republic of CA tax though :-)
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)