Bad TIG welder but not to bad with a stick welder :-)

Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Bad TIG welder but not to bad with a stick welder :-)

Post by Wrightracing.net »

My tig welds are crappy but I did these with the stick welder years ago. I remodeled my pool and the pool contractor would not install a new diving board because in CA they don't want to open them to liability if someone is hurt. So I had a diving board that was good but the pedestal's needed to be replaced. So this is what I did. I don't weld for a living and don't get to do it as much as I like. These have worked great now for over a decade.
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1398144317579.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1398144317579.jpg (191.92 KiB) Viewed 212 times
uploadfromtaptalk1398144157413.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1398144157413.jpg (49.1 KiB) Viewed 212 times
Rmc
El Jefe
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

Re: Bad TIG welder but not to bad with a stick welder :-)

Post by Rmc »

Your a damn fine stick welder my friend! My dad used to bust beads like that with a stick. I tried 100s of times but stuck over and over till I said gimmie the mig. He used to tell me "ya but you can't weld everything with a mig like you can with a stick" I believe him... Cast iron jobs ect. That's back when aluminum was alot more rare in cars.
Kinda crazy when you think about it actually, how far things have progressed in a short time with metals and their processes. Many industries still require stick only. 55$ per hr is what a friend was paid as a welder for Union Pacific. Career change?
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

Thanks. I built and did much of the welding on my class 12 car 20 years ago with a stick welder and they lasted, but I don't think I would do that now days. :-)
4x4_mafia_jon
Bronco Info: all stock on some 33s.. just crossed over from the rock crawler dackside

Post by 4x4_mafia_jon »

i had alot of the welds on my rig done with a stick.. they are not the best looking wlds but hold..