Dual sport??

95bronco12
Bronco Info: 1995 bronco 5.8 4inch lift on 33's

Dual sport??

Post by 95bronco12 »

Been looking for a dual sport. Looking at the Honda 650. I have ridden Honda pretty much my whole life (but dirt bikes) and was just wondering if any of you had first hand experience with this specific bike. Are there any known troubles with them? Anything should keep an eye out for looking to buy new so I wont have to worry about buying anybody else's troubles. Just wondering about long term and if I should buy an extended warranty. Thanks for your time guys.
billy1911

Re: Dual sport??

Post by billy1911 »

I have a 2005 XR650L love it. Have about 14,000 miles on it. I ride it on the street and in the dirt. Only problem I have had is the threads for the spark plug stripped, but I had a insert installed for $80. The bike is heavy and can be a handful in the dirt. It handles good on the freeway and is great for cutting lanes. Here is a little info on the LA, Barstow to Vegas ride I did on my XR650.
95bronco12
Bronco Info: 1995 bronco 5.8 4inch lift on 33's

Post by 95bronco12 »

Sweet looks like fun. Looking to ride this bike almost daily about 40 miles. And of course have some fun on the weekends. Mainly looking to give the bronco some rest and scratch my itch for riding on a daily basis instead of only in the dirt.
D1cker1
Bronco Info: 93 EB Bronco 12"Over 40" BFG projects 5.13 gears in a 8.8... 1 seat and stripped Interior

Post by D1cker1 »

Xr650L for the electric start

Xr650r
Nick
Founder
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target

Post by Nick »

They don't call it the big red pig for nothing.

I'd look for a plated xr400.
Smart Alex
Bronco Info: 1991 351. lightweight special

Post by Smart Alex »

I x2 on the xr400
I own one and its an awesome machine. Still heavy as far as comparison to MX bikes. But the bike feels and rides like a light weight bike to me.
ESHALLBETTER
Bronco Info: 85 class 3, 70's somthing trail bronco.

Post by ESHALLBETTER »

I've also ridden Honda my whole life, but when I get a dual sport I'll be looking at KTM's. They have some bitchen dual sport offerings in a couple sizes.
Rmc
El Jefe
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

Post by Rmc »

One thing to consider when looking at these bikes used is check for the foot peg through hole or reinforcement plating. My friend was in a lawsuit with Honda because his foot peg sheared from the frame and he was 40 lbs below the maximum rider weight. After 2 frames a broken shoulder, a busted collar bone the second time Honda has changed the foot peg attachment system. Not sure what you weigh but google it I'm sure you'll find before and after pics of Hondas frame improvements and to my knowledge they are required to modify them for free. As I recall they changed it to a through frame bolt design to stop the shearing. Just an FYI. Good luck with purchase.
donncdrc
Bronco Info: 1996 fullsize

Post by donncdrc »

Finally something on this site I know a little something about. I have owned a few of all the bikes mentioned. I too rode Hondas whenever possible throughout my life and being 6'2" 250lbs I can't say I have experienced anything but normal problems with any of them. The XR400 is a bullet proof nimble bike that has always been my favorite "trail" bike. I have owned 3 of them over a 20 year span and they didn't change much. Not the best for a 40 mile freeway commute being air cooled and not a lot of power. The 650 is buy far the biggest, heaviest bike I have ever owned and the best high speed desert bike period. With that said I have also spent some time on the freeways and it's not bad however kicking them over can sometimes be a challenge. I never wanted to ride an orange bike but after getting a 525 exc in 2004 I sold all my Honda's in 2010 I got the 530 and It doesn't get any better!
donncdrc
Bronco Info: 1996 fullsize

Post by donncdrc »

I just re read your post and I have to follow up. If you are buying new you are stuck with the 650 "L" ,If you can find one, Don't waste your money! Also as far as buying new I would look hard at used bikes. Lots of people buy bikes and then are afraid to ride them or don't ride enough (me in recent years). Look for one of these they are everywhere.
Cactus Cooler
Bronco Info: 90 Bronco EB EDITION

Post by Cactus Cooler »

I have a buddy selling a nice Yami 426 that's a dual sport, Baja Design light kit, comes with both plastics dirt & street, desert tank 3.1L slimline ( think its a Clark ) INDEPENDENT Suspension set for a 210" guy. Nice bike! think he wants $3200.
bajabuck
Bronco Info: 87 Bronco with some Autofab parts held on with bailing wire and duct tape

Post by bajabuck »

Both the 650 R and L are excellent bikes for their intended purposes. With a couple minor up grades both are totally bullet proof. If I was getting something for knocking out 40 miles every day on pavement I would be looking at the L for sure. If you want the uber Baja sled the R is the ticket. Of course you have to find a used one with a plate if you want to dual sport it here Ca. I have found as I have gotten a little older (and slower) I get tired of wrestling the bigger bikes around. Not a factor on the pavement. I currently have a KTM 450 EXC that is plated. I still miss my XR at times but the KTM is a pleasure to ride everywhere and it doesn't wear me out quite so much. Man do I miss the XR seat though. Just ordered a soft seat for my KTM.

Agreed on the XR 400. Never owned one but I have ridden several. Excellent bike for all around use.

If I could get one plated I think my next bike would be a CRF 450X.

Anyway, I don't think you can wrong with a big Honda either way. You just have to get the one that suits your purpose.
Silverslk
Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Baur Bronco......GONE to a better home

Post by Silverslk »

Don't know pricing but just checked craigslist and found a plated legal crf450x for $5100 in Carlsbad....
PBR
Founder

Post by PBR »

I have a KTM 530 dual sport that I love!

If you're really going to up 40 miles a day on your bike I would seriously consider buying a set of supermoto rims/tires for whatever bike you get. My friend has this on his plated Honda 450x and he can swap everything out in about 30 minutes from street to dirt. Knobbies suck on the street for anything other then getting from one trail to the next.

I wouldn't go near a Honda 650 but that's just me. If you want a big machine like that go for the KTM 690 enduro, that is one bad ass machine!
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Post by cs_drums »

Honestly, I have commuted via bike for the last 6 months until just recently, 80 mi, a day. I would seriously consider getting a regular sport standard or cruiser. High way commuting on a dual sport in CA is no fun. If you are going to skoot across town to and from work is one thing but 30 mi. I think you'll enjoy it much less than you think. I understand trying to kill 2 birds with one stone but riding on the street scetch and even more so when freeway riding on a light bike.
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Post by cs_drums »

I am also a big fan of the DRZ 400. A family friend owns one and I have put a good amount of miles on it. Lighter and more nimble than my old xr600r.
Silverslk
Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Baur Bronco......GONE to a better home

Post by Silverslk »

cs_drums wrote:Honestly, I have commuted via bike for the last 6 months until just recently, 80 mi, a day. I would seriously consider getting a regular sport standard or cruiser. High way commuting on a dual sport in CA is no fun. If you are going to skoot across town to and from work is one thing but 30 mi. I think you'll enjoy it much less than you think. I understand trying to kill 2 birds with one stone but riding on the street scetch and even more so when freeway riding on a light bike.
I commute almost the same 80 miles a day (up and down the I-5, Glendale to Garden Grove) and do it on my 2005 ZX10 and 1995 FZR1000.... both not as bad as you would think. I dont think I'd want to commute on something that is down on power for getting out of trouble.... like a small displacement dual sport or Cruiser (Harley).
BDKW1
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!

Post by BDKW1 »

Anytime you run into traffic on the freeway, DS is where it's at. The upright position and visibility make lane splitting much safer than a crotch rocket. The KLR was a good freeway rig. It's fast enough to get out of the way and big enough not to get blown around much. Around town it rules.
BDKW1
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!

Post by BDKW1 »

Oh yeah, KTM's in general are not DS, they are dirt bikes with plates. Any amount of serious commuting would be cost prohibitive in maintenance.
PBR
Founder

Post by PBR »

BDKW1 wrote:Oh yeah, KTM's in general are not DS, they are dirt bikes with plates. Any amount of serious commuting would be cost prohibitive in maintenance.
I agree.