Tent

hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Tent

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

Okay my wife and i were looking at a tent that attaches to the back of the bronco. Does anyone have any insight or have any experience with one? Do they even make one that will work with the bronco?
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Re: Tent

Post by SteveG »

I don't know if anyone makes one for Broncos but I recently slept in the back of mine on an air mattress and it wasn't bad at all. In fact, it was pretty nice. I left the tailgate down, put a sheet over the back of the car and called it good. If you can't find something specific for the Bronco, I would consider making your own with a couple tent bows, canvas (or other good tent material) and some snaps on the roof to keep it in place.
hobbyturnedobsession

Thanks Steve Ive been considering that. I've been doing some research and to my dismay there really isnt much insight at all on the web. Cabellas makes a really nice suv tent but not too sure 330 dollars is in my price range. Ive been debating giving them a call to find out if itd fit.
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

I think you could make something that would work well enough for really cheap. I used a spare bed sheet and some firewood on the roof. You could just use rope by adding some tie-down anchors on the frame . It really doesn't take much. You don't need to make it air tight. You just need something to keep the wind out and add a bit of privacy.

Or, you could always just use a tent next to the car and retain the ability to drive away from your sleeping quarters....

Along the same lines, I've always wanted a roof top tent simply because they look so f'ing cool. In reality, though, I think it's kinda dumb to have your vehicle incapacitated by your tent.
hobbyturnedobsession

Man theyve got one thats on stilts Steve and you park underneath it. Overland makes it. The Cabella unit can be detached from the truck in minutes and can be used as a regular tent if need be. I hats sleeping on the ground and as we all know sleeping in the back is cramped for one person let alone two along with gear. Also having the ability to get up and get dressed is a huge plus for my wife.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

I was looking at a bed tent for the truck and was having a hard time biting at $200-300+. Then I got a tent for my birthday a couple years back & haven't thought about it since. This tent was maybe $50, but it's easy to set up & works really well for what it is.

I get the not sleeping on the ground, and that's why when Karen camps with me the air mattress come out. Still $$ well ahead.

Oh and don't underestimate the sleepability of the back of the bronco - especially with the tailgate down. My buddy & I (he's about 6'-2") crashed in the back of my old exploder at Mike sky rancho one night at the 1k (coldest I've ever been on a "camping" trip). It was tight but it worked.

Same buddy & his wide & I all slept in the back of the Expedition at Pete's camp for the SF race. Another "let's just wing it" run that ended up working out quite fine. It was tight (yes, she slept in the middle), but hey - it worked. Has an air mattress for that one to get us somewhat up & over the wheel wells.

You're not huge & Carly is very petite, so unless the pooches are in on this mix you should have plenty of room back there. Even if the pooches are they - each one can get a seat up front to sleep in!

This doesn't solve the getting dressed issue for Carly though - so I'm thinking maybe get a bigger on ground tent with a big door & back the bronco into it - flex the door out & around the tailgate & make a half bronco half tent deal - haha
hobbyturnedobsession

Thanks Steve! I was having a hard time with the price tag until i hit up amazon. They have em for under 200 that can be unattached and have a little porch. I agree about the back of the bronco being roomy we're just tall. Im 6'2 and Carly is 5'10".
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

no problem. Tailgate down adds a lot of room!
Rmc
El Jefe
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

Post by Rmc »

You guys just made me think of something. There's a company in hemet that makes a hand press that installs snaps and grommets in tarps. I had a conversation with the guy while I was repairing his machines and basically Bimini tops and that kind of stuff are made with well..... Here's the skinny, you could get a piece of any material cut it to size, fold over the edges and sew them and install snaps across the sides. you could then ad snaps to the top ( just out if the line of site) sides if the tail gate and so on. basically make your own bronco camper bed fly. The guy was saying that 90% of upolstery shops shops use a much higher dollar press. I have one of his tools and I've never used it but ill throw a link to his site if any of you guys wanna get ambitious. It makes very short work of tarp making.

http://www.hooverproducts.com/
DMbronco
Bronco Info: 96 XLT 351

Post by DMbronco »

just for fun, check this one out Randy!

http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/news ... nco-bronco
BajaBronco13
Bronco Broker
Bronco Info: Bronco AKA The Silver Bullet

Post by BajaBronco13 »

Silverslk
Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Baur Bronco......GONE to a better home

Post by Silverslk »

I bought a 10 man tent (20'x10') that I can stand up straight in the center of. I got it on Craigslist for $50 (I think) and I use cots as I hate the ground too. Best thing ever in my opinion. You can borrow it for the trip if you want (see what you think)... I'm not going. You'll need to buy a cot somewhere though (look for a 2 man cot) as I don't have mine anymore.
hobbyturnedobsession

Thanks Anduly i appreciate the gesture but im not goin either. Were talkijg about a few trips like big sur and a few other places. By the way thats an awesome camper bronco.
hobbyturnedobsession

Oops i dont know how i got the extra letters.... Andy
RyanDS650X
Bronco Info: Autofab '96 XLT 5.8

Post by RyanDS650X »

I have this one which has a 6' center height.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004E4ERH ... SY165_QL70

I have the 8 person one also that has a center hight of 7'. These are great tents and setup and breakdown is less than a minute after youve done it a few times.
Dust
Bronco Info: Go Slow Ford's From 1957 to 1994

Post by Dust »

SteveG wrote: I've always wanted a roof top tent simply because they look so f'ing cool. In reality, though, I think it's kinda dumb to have your vehicle incapacitated by your tent.
We spent 21 out of 23 nights and covered near 6000-miles with our RTT in June.
Once or twice we stayed put with the tent really that was lazyness.
We can set of brake our complete camp in under half an hour. and if it is just the tent that takes less then 10-Min.
D1cker1
Bronco Info: 93 EB Bronco 12"Over 40" BFG projects 5.13 gears in a 8.8... 1 seat and stripped Interior

Post by D1cker1 »

Roof top tents gets my vote
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380240706.061643.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380240706.061643.jpg (210.76 KiB) Viewed 1704 times
7D6F250
Bronco Info: i drive a 76' F250 and a 09' F350

Post by 7D6F250 »

dig that doodie! (Duty haha!)
Cactus Cooler
Bronco Info: 90 Bronco EB EDITION

Post by Cactus Cooler »

D1cker1 wrote:Roof top tents gets my vote
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380240706.061643.jpg

Someone on RDC had two of these for sale , brand new I think.

I myself like the mini camper thing, pretty cool. 20 years ago I almost thought of buying one for my old 78 bronco.
96UAV
Bronco Info: 96 XLT --Under Construction--

Post by 96UAV »

I've also wanted to figure out a way for on-vehicle tent camping. Although this set-up is likely out of your budget (as well as mine..) it's definitely a clean and efficient way to go.

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/sho ... 13&page=51