school me on two-ways

ocejo
Bronco Info: 89 eddie bauer 5.0

school me on two-ways

Post by ocejo »

I have been out with some buddies to the plaster city area and notice that I really need to get me one.

I see some on the classifieds but have no clue on what all is needed.

school me...
Rmc
El Jefe
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

Re: school me on two-ways

Post by Rmc »

2 way radios?
Kel Fab Creations
Bronco Info: 95 Bronco

Post by Kel Fab Creations »

A 2 way is standard operation where I come from. Now if you wanna get a little crazy you can try a 3 way... :lol:
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

as long as it's pickles < tacos. Otherwise things are too crazy. Well, unless you're into that sort of thing... haha
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

Good lord....
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

what? It's a slow day on the boards & a not so clear as mud question.
Kel Fab Creations
Bronco Info: 95 Bronco

Post by Kel Fab Creations »

You're so immature Steve. ;)
PBR
Founder

Post by PBR »

ocejo

Post by ocejo »

Whoa...

Yes I meant two way radios. Which are a good start, what works, what doesn't...
93Broncobuff
Bronco Info: 1993, 351w, K&N,4" Bilstein 5100 lift, procomp coils, SSFAB Beams, Giant R/A's

Post by 93Broncobuff »

Hahahahaha u guys......i just got off a long day at work n now catchin up on my favorite site while in math class..... There couldnt be a better convo out there right now hahahaha!!!!
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

Motorola makes some cheap ones that go pretty far. I was looking at them at Costco. Range was 3 or 7 miles I can't remember.
ocejo

Post by ocejo »

this is all I found

http://www.costco.com/Motorola-MD200TPR ... 64797.html

I'll have to go in to the store and look
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

I think those were them, I remember thinking when looking at them being amazed by technology. When I was a kid they were huge with 6 foot antennas to get a few mile range. I was shocked they would go so far and be so small.
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

I was thinking they would be handy for car to car in a caravan.
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

Ok, Here is basic answer, Radios come in several types and differ on the use for them.

First one is Citizen Band aka CB radios. Cheap but work ok car to car off road short distance. Con is that there is a lot of numb sculls out there that will interfere with your communication's. Legal limit on output is 4 watts. No license needed.

Also a Family Radio Handheld radio. These are the cheap walkie talkies you see in Walmart or Radio Shack. A little better than a CB radio but many of the same issues with interference.

Ham Radios, a bit more money to purchase but less interference then the first two options. Also you can get higher output radios more than 100 watts. The con is you have to pass a test and get a license to operate one.

VHF Race radios. These radios are Business band radios designed to be used on the 150-174MHz range. These radios are more durable and you can get them up to 110 watt versions. Pro's, you can choose a personal frequency away from others who would interfere with your communication's, good clean transmitting radios that are made to with stand
off-roading when prepped properly. Con's, These radio tend to cost more starting around $300 up to over $2000. Another con is you have to have the radio programmed and a computer, special software and a propitiatory programming cable is needed to reprogram the radio. To get a radio for less a used radio is a good way to go. I have refurbished many race radios for teams that can't afford to spend thousands for the radios their team needs. It can get pricey if you need 4 or 5 radio costing you $1500-$2000 per 110 watt radio.

VHF Handheld radio. These are walkie talkies that transmit on the same Business band as Race Radios. Many of the same pro's and con's. One major difference is the limited output wattage of 5 or 6 watts at most. They do work great for car to car or Bike to Bike. I use a Vertex Handheld in my backpack while riding my Quad in plaster City, Glamis and Baja. I have my helmet wired with a helmet kit from PCI just like what pro racers use in off road racing. I even have my cell phone hooked up to the wire harness. Music is a nice thing on a long ride.

UHF radio's, these radio's are much like the VHF for privacy and cost. These radios are used in Nascar, Circle track racing and is places where you have a lot of people using radios is a small area on different frequencies. The Band is higher than VHF and runs above 450MHz. These radios tend to be lower wattage and not used for long distance communication.

There are other Radio and communication types that are more technical like digital radios and satellite radio technology being used for long distance uninterrupted communication used by military and some race teams.

Most of the above radio setups are Line of Sight radios. This means if you have obstructions like mountain's between you and your friend the ability to get a strong signal or a signal at all is a problem. Now a satellite technology system and a repeater Ham radio station are much better because you do not have to have a line of sight to the person you are talking to.

Another thing people do and is controversial is modifying cheaper Ham 2 meter radios to operate on the Business band used in off road racing. Many argue they work the same as radios designed for business band frequencies. From years of using all kinds of radios it is best to run radios that are designed for your use. One of the issues those modified radios cause is they can interfere with other channels. Check out the write up from the owner of PCI and the well known Baja racing Weatherman. It is called (Weatherman Speaks). I think modified radios are not a great idea to use at the races. Lives are at stake if an accident happens and good communication is needed to get help.

That's my 2 cents..
Opinions are like farts, Some Stink and some don't.

I hope that help's a little.
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

I have stayed away from race radios for car to car chatter in the past due to being under the impression some kind of liscence was needed to operate similar to a Hamm. Is this not the case?
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

Rmc wrote:I have stayed away from race radios for car to car chatter in the past due to being under the impression some kind of license was needed to operate similar to a Hamm. Is this not the case?
You do not need a license to use a race radio.
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

Good to know thank you
Bronco Info: 1979 Class 3 Race Bronco. Built in 2000.

Post by 300 »

Wrightracing.net wrote:
Rmc wrote:I have stayed away from race radios for car to car chatter in the past due to being under the impression some kind of license was needed to operate similar to a Hamm. Is this not the case?
You do not need a license to use a race radio.
Don't need a license, but technically don't they frown on you using an owned frequency? I know most races are held way out away from any other business radio traffic. Used to get a kick out of hearing the employees at Lowes in Bullhead City on the "race" frequency when we used to race at Laughlin.
retroblazer

Post by retroblazer »

The question of who "owns" the channel is a good one. Up until a couple of years ago we used the same channel as the one that PCI called their ch. 2. We finally switched after the background noise during the race became too distracting.
My question is are the 110w radios worth the added cost in terms of any real range gain?