Random updates... what are you working on?

SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Re: Random updates... what are you working on?

Post by SteveG »

Nice!

I remember when the whole UTV thing started. I thought they were such a joke! Why would anyone spend that kind of money on them!? I have to say, I am amazed at what they can do. right out of the box they're insane. At the 1000, one of our team drivers took his old, stock 800 RZR for prerun and chase duty. The night before the race, Greg and I did a quick and dirty intercom and radio install in it and it logged 500 miles on a damn rough course with no appreciable wear. Pretty freakin' impressive.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
RyanDS650X
Bronco Info: Autofab '96 XLT 5.8

Post by RyanDS650X »

They are a ton of fun. I want one too.
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Post by cs_drums »

I have mixed feeling on side by sides. They have come along way since the original rhino craze that started it all. Amazingly capable. If never disagree that the are tons of fun.
I'm just jaded. I feel the same way about RTR RC cars/planes. It takes away half the hobby by making it to easy haha. Back in the day you had to build it yourself and pick what parts were gonna work well with others etc. Now drop a few hundred buck, open a box and you are race ready.
Side by sides are in the same boat. You don't have to figure anything out just go write a check.

I'm not bashing. It's great for people that want to just turn a key, just not for me. I enjoy knowing every square inch of my bronco cause I built it. I have pride in it cause I put blood sweat and tears (lots of tears) into it. It's a different hobby when it's all play and no work.
hollandermotorsports
Bronco Info: 1990 Bronco lifted, 1995 Centurian F-150 with body lift delete

Post by hollandermotorsports »

cs_drums wrote:I have mixed feeling on side by sides. They have come along way since the original rhino craze that started it all. Amazingly capable. If never disagree that the are tons of fun.
I'm just jaded. I feel the same way about RTR RC cars/planes. It takes away half the hobby by making it to easy haha. Back in the day you had to build it yourself and pick what parts were gonna work well with others etc. Now drop a few hundred buck, open a box and you are race ready.
Side by sides are in the same boat. You don't have to figure anything out just go write a check.

I'm not bashing. It's great for people that want to just turn a key, just not for me. I enjoy knowing every square inch of my bronco cause I built it. I have pride in it cause I put blood sweat and tears (lots of tears) into it. It's a different hobby when it's all play and no work.
I hear you trust me. I have a bronco I did the same with and I just have to turn a key on that and go and I only have $120k into it so technically its kinda the same although Richer Racing did the fab I was still very involved and I have gone through every nut and bolt personally. But the difference is the RZR anyone can drive including my GF, friends ect. The Bronco was built for me and around me not for anyone else to drive. Also the bronco will be used for pre-running races throughout 2016 so I don't want to wear it out at Glamis or the desert in general for the weekend. Also Broncos will not dune very well in big bowls they are a little heavy lol. The RZR has a bumper to bumper warranty that covers everything except brake pads, tires, belts, and modified parts so no prep bill in my eyes for 3 years. After putting about 100 miles on it I would say that out of the box these RZR's are dam impressive for $16k and that pretty much buys you a good rear end and shocks for your bronco. I have always been against UTVs ever since I had a rhino with long travel until now. If you get the opportunity to go rip a RZR 1000 do it trust me it will change your thoughts at least a little.
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

hollandermotorsports wrote:
cs_drums wrote:I have mixed feeling on side by sides. They have come along way since the original rhino craze that started it all. Amazingly capable. If never disagree that the are tons of fun.

I hear you trust me. I have a bronco I did the same with and I just have to turn a key on that and go and I only have $120k into it so technically its kinda the same although Richer Racing did the fab I was still very involved and I have gone through every nut and bolt personally. But the difference is the RZR anyone can drive including my GF, friends ect. The Bronco was built for me and around me not for anyone else to drive. Also the bronco will be used for pre-running races throughout 2016 so I don't want to wear it out at Glamis or the desert in general for the weekend. Also Broncos will not dune very well in big bowls they are a little heavy lol. The RZR has a bumper to bumper warranty that covers everything except brake pads, tires, belts, and modified parts so no prep bill in my eyes for 3 years. After putting about 100 miles on it I would say that out of the box these RZR's are dam impressive for $16k and that pretty much buys you a good rear end and shocks for your bronco. I have always been against UTVs ever since I had a rhino with long travel until now. If you get the opportunity to go rip a RZR 1000 do it trust me it will change your thoughts at least a little.
I beg to differ on the notion that the Bronco is not good for big dunes at Glamis. This was with a 302 and only mid wheel travel. No cage

RyanDS650X

Post by RyanDS650X »

It can be done, I've done it many times but it's no where near as fun as a golfcart. Dollar for dollar they are great recreational vehicles.
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

I love it in mine, I just want more Horse Power and Paddles. Got to love AC and Heating, with really comfortable Custom +4 wider Mastercraft seats. I guess I love comfort and my days of Buggies and cramped smaller vehicles are in the past. My Bronco back then, I only had about $5000 into it back in the 1990's.

To each their own...
hollandermotorsports
Bronco Info: 1990 Bronco lifted, 1995 Centurian F-150 with body lift delete

Re:

Post by hollandermotorsports »

RyanDS650X wrote:They are a ton of fun. I want one too.
Let me know when you want one I can get you set up with Coyne for a killer deal. So far no one could touch their price.
RyanDS650X

Re: Re:

Post by RyanDS650X »

hollandermotorsports wrote:
RyanDS650X wrote:They are a ton of fun. I want one too.
Let me know when you want one I can get you set up with Coyne for a killer deal. So far no one could touch their price.
I will, thanks for the offer. Oh ya and congrats on the new toy!
'96 XLT 5.8l lil edelbrock, lil Autofab, LOTTA fun.

"I wouldnt even call adding beer as part of a prep...its like putting tires on the vehicle, you just do it."
-shockseals.com
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Post by cs_drums »

Just passed a huge inspection at work. 3 years of work picked apart and I passed with flying colors. Now that it's over I can relax and actually think sour my bronco guilt free
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Congrats!
Sho nuff,
SteveG
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

Image Well the wife's Bronco will eventually get a lift with some mild stuff but it'll have to wait for this to be finished.
hobbyturnedobsession

Alright Nick here you go. Reviving an old thread. My girls are running these little 170s and competition is tight. So trying to keep up with the big money I’ve discovered the physics of rotating mass. I am now shaving tires. I now own a groover and other tools that are helping out. So far I’ve been able to see a mph difference and grunt out of the hole. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
dtbback
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Post by dtbback »

Very cool!
Nick
Founder
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target

Post by Nick »

That's awesome!
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
hobbyturnedobsession

Its been a blast. I got laughed at asking if i was headed to glamis. They werent laughing when they finished .

ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

hobbyturnedobsession wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:48 am
Its been a blast. I got laughed at asking if i was headed to glamis. They werent laughing when they finished Image.
And THAT is even awesomer!!!

dtbback wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:46 pm
Very cool!
What you workin on lurker ;)
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
hobbyturnedobsession

ChaseTruck754 wrote:
Its been a blast. I got laughed at asking if i was headed to glamis. They werent laughing when they finished Image.

dtbback wrote:
Very cool!
Yeah we discovered a 2 lb difference per tire from the ones i shaved to the hoosiers we typically run. Its funny how many people start watching.

dtbback
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Post by dtbback »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:24 am

dtbback wrote:
Very cool!

Lurking! :lol: :lol: Scheming! ;)
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

I guess I'll play too... I'm working on fixing this mess... 1st time to bust out the fab tools in a while, but nothing too fun :roll:
IMG_6952 small.jpg
IMG_6952 small.jpg (321.59 KiB) Viewed 1997 times
Apparently the mother board in my garage door opener went haywire and it wasn't thinking it was closing. kept trying to push the door closed after the door was already closed. The rail running from the motor to this header over the door bowed like a rainbow then a big POP and it sheared the lag bolts out of the header.
Nothing an L bent piece of steel can't fix.

On a more fun note - I busted out the fab tools for real a few months back. 1st time building something in years and finally got to put some now outdated parts I've been hoarding to use...
IMG_6720 small.jpg
IMG_6720 small.jpg (305.04 KiB) Viewed 1997 times
5-12-22 small.jpg
5-12-22 small.jpg (292.4 KiB) Viewed 1997 times
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects