Careers

cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Careers

Post by cs_drums »

Doing a little sole searching and figuring out what I want to do when I grow up (haha im 27) What do you do for a living? Do you like it?
bajascott
My belly is my best friend
Bronco Info: its black, its fun to drive,and i dont have enough money to build it the way i want to!:)

Re: Careers

Post by bajascott »

Funny post....I have been doing the same thing. I have been an hvac sheetmetal worker for 20 yrs,took some time off to try something new.I work as a millwright fabricator for a foundry that does sand casting and rotary casting. I build machines and make some.cool stuff,but.......it pays crappy and I am tired of giving my talent away.
I am ready to sign the union papers and go back on the road and earn a living doing what I know how to do......bang tin , build hospitals ,and industrial buildings......
Good luck in your search ......
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

I think there's a "what do you do for work" thread around here somewhere that already has a bunch of this in there. May be worth a search.

Aside from that - I'm a landscape architect and do enjoy it. Most of the time it doesn't pay very well though.
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

I work in telecommunications engineering. I work with 3d line design and pole loafing software. Im also a project manager. Work is busy and constantly changing so i love it.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Pole Loafing? Sounds interesting.... :shock:

:lol:
Rmc
El Jefe
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

Post by Rmc »

Field service engineer here for the machine tool industry. I do hydraulic, pneumatic, mechanical, electrical, electronic repairs and design. Along with that comes machining, fabrication, paint and body, Plc and CNC programming, fixture design, correct practices of mfg processes involving chip cutting in all forms. From geometric adjustments and verification to vibration analisys if a machine cuts parts my job is to know how, why, and why not. It's a cool job I guess cause every day is different and my boss is hundreds of miles away. At the end of the day it's a customer service/technitian gig. Kinda like a mobile millwright or maintenance mechanic.
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:Pole Loafing? Sounds interesting.... :shock:

:lol:
Hahah smart ass haha. Power poles. You know the hundreds of thousands of sticks no one looks at that keep people with lights and internet.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

yeah - the things I actually like the looks of (look "vintage" to me) and yuppies around here are always fighting to get rid of - I know those!

Now go loaf one for me - hahahahaha
yikes
Founder
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff

Post by yikes »

I work in the micro-machining industry. My company manufactures and assembles components for various industries, such as: "Aerospace, Electronic Interconnect, Military, Circuitboard Test Probe, Microwave Test Equipment, Telecommunications, Fiber Optics, Medical, Dental, Electronic Test Equipment, Computer, Automotive and Hydraulic." I'm the engineering and technology manager for our proprietary secondary operations machinery. I enjoy the work and the job most of the time, because I have a certain level of creative freedom that I never had in other production machining environments. This company is the definition of continuous improvement. It is rarely stagnant and always striving to be the best. It is recognized globally as one of the top 4 in it's industry and sole recognized manufacturer in the US. Reality? The "it's never good enough" approach can be frustrating and draining. I'm a problem solver and there are always problems. My last conversation with ownership ended with "it's your job to make things easier". I followed that up with a nice Smoked Porter. Haha!
ESHALLBETTER
Bronco Info: 85 class 3, 70's somthing trail bronco.

Post by ESHALLBETTER »

Manufacturing Engineer. I do a lot of design work and project management for off shore oil cranes and power generation projects. Some projects are much more fun than others, but I figure if it was always fun they would call it fun and not work! Haha!
96UAV
Bronco Info: 96 XLT --Under Construction--

Post by 96UAV »

Well if it makes you feel any better I just turned 31 and I'm a full-time college student. (freshman) HA! After the Marine Corps I worked my ass for a few years in the construction biz and bought a house. I'm a firm believer in the "do what makes you happy" theme. I still don't know what I want to be or do for the rest of my life. I just take on new adventures and see what happens. Good Luck!
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

I work for ADP, payroll company. I manage a national sales support team responsible for assisting selling a suite of products (we are basically closers.....haha). Fun stuff!
cwrisley
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco..........

Post by cwrisley »

Firefighter/Paramedic. I LOVE my job. I never have two days that are the same. Everyday we see different problems and challenges, both mental and physical. Its not all fires and blood/guts either. We work 10 days a month, but average a 56 hour work week (due to the 24 hour shifts). Can't complain about the pay either (average starting pay in SD County is around 65-70k, after OT and step raises its not hard to hit 6 figures). No office, big red fire truck to ride around town all day, and (unlike the 5-0) people are happy when we show up!!

The bad part is how competitive it is to get a job. Nowadays, you must have your paramedic license and fire academy prior to applying. Experience with a volunteer dept or reserve time along with an AA in fire tech or emergency management is a must to be competitive.
Andy Jones
Bronco Info: In the Works!

Post by Andy Jones »

I'm a Land Surveyor, I travel all over California , Arizona , and Nevada.. breaking down boundaries, townships, and section lines. The company I work for, is in charge of building Edison's sub stations, Edison Redesign of power poles and towers, and Gas company Pipelines . I love my job! It's never the same day to day!.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21374635140.728021.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21374635140.728021.jpg (113.49 KiB) Viewed 890 times
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21374635172.624487.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21374635172.624487.jpg (81.04 KiB) Viewed 890 times
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21374635221.463449.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21374635221.463449.jpg (87.79 KiB) Viewed 890 times
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21374635245.573701.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21374635245.573701.jpg (101.75 KiB) Viewed 890 times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
robertcrav
Let me google that for you
Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies

Post by robertcrav »

Man your jobs are so much cooler than mine lol
yikes
Founder
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff

Post by yikes »

Andy Jones wrote:I'm a Land Surveyor
Best job ever.
Gregsbronco13
Bronco Info: 1992 5.8 white pretty stock for now

Post by Gregsbronco13 »

The best job I've done is what I do now I'm a lineman and I love it I've done a few things but this is by far the best!!!! I was a horse shoer and got laid up after a horse fell on me so I ran Equiptment for awhile and ended up starting out as a groundman and then apprentice and now I'm a journeyman and love it !!! It makes GOOD money and once you top out you can have a job anywhere in North America . I've been doing it for about 12yrs and have never been out of work and worked in all the states west of the Mississippi and some on the other side, I would recommend it to anyone who works hard and likes something new everyday
" god made lineman so cops and firefighters would have heroes "
Gregsbronco13

Post by Gregsbronco13 »

The one pic looks like whirl wind sub...right?
Gregsbronco13

Post by Gregsbronco13 »

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374637645.870300.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374637645.870300.jpg (95.58 KiB) Viewed 876 times
Agui-E7TE
Bronco Info: 89 Bronco w/ 6 in. skyjacker kit w/ dual Bilstein 5150 shocks up front and Deaver F53's in the rear

Post by Agui-E7TE »

I'm an Associate Online Editor (means I'm on the lower end of the totem pole) for more than a handful of Off-Road publications. I write stories and shoot photos to entertain people in the off-road community. I started as an intern after graduating college and then became a freelancer for just over three years and finally landed a job with the publishing company.

It's not a lucrative job by any means and there's never any real danger other than getting to stare down race trucks/fast prerunners at wide open throttle in the middle of the desert or trying to capture a cool shot of a gnarly trail rig clawing its way through a tight canyon.

I sit at a desk Monday-Friday (which isn't particularly exciting) unless there's a cool event going on in which case I might get to travel to cover it.

The perks of the job are getting to meet really cool people, many GFB members whom I've had the pleasure of meeting, I met thanks to my job. I get to check out awesome trucks (and sometimes ride in them) and occasionally work on my own projects when I have spare time.