Firefighter Demolition Derby!

cwrisley
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco..........

Re: Firefighter Demolition Derby!

Post by cwrisley »

A big thanks to Pick Your Part in Chula Vista for donating a 74 Caddy Coupe for this years derby. This tuna boat runs great and needs little to be a title contender. Big ole 472 big block should push some cars around! Im gonna keep the motor simple this year. I bought a 600 cfm vacuum Holley and a 650 double pumper at the Big 3 swap meet. Havent quite decided which I will run. Hell, i might just tune the Quadrajet thats already in it. A buddy has mentioned making some zoomie headers, but we'll see. This is gonna be another fun build!

hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

Awesome!!!
Becks_Bronco
Bronco Info: 96 Eddie Bauer, 5.8

Post by Becks_Bronco »

Beast mode engage!
cwrisley

Post by cwrisley »

Tear down begins tomorrow morning. The focus will be on the interior getting the seats, carpet, door panels, etc out so safety equipment can be installed. Ive decided that the Q-Jet is gonna stay. It runs too good to mess with another carb. Just gonna adjust the floats, increase the idle, and call it good. I cut the exhaust off last night, so the neighbors should love the test runs up and down the street!
cwrisley

Post by cwrisley »

All shined up, it's almost a shame to smash her up.....almost.

I need to get a lesson from Tony and REALLY bring out the shine!!
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

That thing is clean!
cwrisley

Post by cwrisley »

Small update:

The interior is stripped and seat/wheel installed. I put the seat at an angle to make it easier to look backwards. Crossbar is also in, through-bolted and plated on outside of car. Thats the only reinforcement we are allowed to do. Still working on the shifter. Im gonna fab a center console for it to sit on above the hump. Gauges, switches, and fuse block will stay on the aluminum console on the floor.

Not too much going on here. Just replaced cap, rotor, wires, plugs, and coil. Just making some fine tuning to the QJ instead of replacing it. It runs too good to mess with! One of our sponsors from last year is building us a set of custom zoomie headers! That should make this thing even louder!!

A lot more left on the check list, but its getting smaller. Im trying to hunt down a 5 gallon poly fuel cell. Rear end gets welded in the next few weeks as well. We are going to be showing my car and a couple others at the El Cajon car shows on Wednesday nights in May. Come check it out.

We are still looking for more sponsors if anyone is interested. Hit me up for details.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Not an 8 gal. cell - but a 12 gal on RDC
http://www.race-dezert.com/classifieds/ ... s&id=45357
cwrisley

Post by cwrisley »

Rules state we can only run a max 6 gallon cell, with no more than 4 gallons in it. The search continues....

Found out that Caddy made a bastard rear end for all 70-76 models. Cant weld it, no parts for it, no spools, lockers, posi, etc. It has 26 spline axels, no clue how its geared. I guess I'll be running a one-tire-fire this rear! Let's hope that I dont lose a rear tire.

And speaking of tires, a BIG shout out to Discount Tire of El Cajon for donating a new set of Goodyear Wranglers for the Caddy!
scraptor
Bronco Info: 1994 f150 bronco wannabe

Post by scraptor »

Why is the diff un weldable?
If you have a chainsaw I have a recipe for a sawdust posi.
Basically, cut up hardwood, gather shavings, dump in axle.
Works for a while.

Theres gotta be a way to weld that thing.
MOSS2

Post by MOSS2 »

We used to run tubes in the tires and sheet metal screw the beads to the rims. Also would weld a short pipe section over the valve stem to keep it from getting knocked off. Some guys would fill the tires with water like tractor style for extra traction that works but watch out for those forward reverse shifts while moving it will break stuff with all that weight in a tire. Kind of like running a 44 on stock drive train.
Rmc
El Jefe
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

Post by Rmc »

I suppose spinning blade hub caps like Ben hur and a reinforced front end ( battering ram style) are not within the rules either?
Bronco Info: 1979 Class 3 Race Bronco. Built in 2000.

Post by 300 »

If its metal, it should be weldable! Welded one once, but it didn't stay welded. Found it really didn't help that much, keeping the tires on the rims, even if flat, was worth much more than a locked axle. If you get hung up, you can use the brakes or e-brake to get the spinning wheel to slow down and spread some torque to the other wheel.

Post by 300 »

This one is a similar year, was used as an enduro car for races in Santa Maria and Roseville. Tech inspection consisted of jacking up one side of the car, putting it in gear, and if it drove off the jack, you put it back on the trailer! No locked rears allowed.
Attachments
CCI00014 (2).jpg
CCI00014 (2).jpg (127.9 KiB) Viewed 975 times
cwrisley

Post by cwrisley »

Technically, I can weld it. But getting to the spider gears is impossible without pulling the whole rear end apart...

I welded the GM 10 bolt on last years car and it saved my butt. I had a tire come completely off the wheel. Id really like to do it this year, but dont wanna hack into the diff. Our tech guys are pretty picky, any "rule bending" is usually picked apart. Im hoping they dont have an issue with the Goodyear Wranglers I just had mounted!! Nothin' like all terrains on a full sized Caddy!

Post by 300 »

That ring gear is kinda in the way for sure.
cwrisley

Post by cwrisley »

I haven't ruled out pulling the ring gear, but Im skeptical. Another guy last year had the same Caddy model, rumor is his was welded. Im prying for info!

....MEAT!

A shifter console any gun guy could appreciate!
cwrisley

Post by cwrisley »

Progress...

Rmc
El Jefe
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

Post by Rmc »

This thing is reminding me of the blues brothers cop car, loving it. You'll have to post up highlight smashes on YouTube after.
cwrisley

Post by cwrisley »

Rmc wrote:This thing is reminding me of the blues brothers cop car, loving it. You'll have to post up highlight smashes on YouTube after.
Im hoping to get a GoPro in the car with me.

My list is getting shorter. It will be ready by the begining of May.
....and yes...thats my radiator sitting on the left. Anyone have a spare 70-76 Caddy brass radiator lying around?! :roll: