Firefighter Demolition Derby!

cwrisley
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco..........

Post by cwrisley »

I know this is early but I want to spread the word.

Mark your calendars for June 16th 2012 for the annual Firefighter Demolition Derby. This annual event is put on by the Burn Institute and caps the annual Fire Expo at the Del Mar Fair (SD County Fair).

All year, local fire departments are raising money to send kids who have been severly burned to "Camp Beyond the Scars" to help them build confidence and help to return to a normal life. You will see your local firefighters in April standing in the streets to "Fill the Boot" for the Burn Institute. The biggest fundraiser, however, is the demo derby. Local departments enter one or two cars sponsored by local businesses. This year I will be behind the wheel of a 1972 Chevy Bel Air. I know.....Chevy....but I got it cheap! Im gonna keep this thread as a "build" of sorts, with updates and info about the car and the derby.

I would be absolutely honored if GFB members could help contribute to the cause. If anyone is interested in personally donating or their business donating, PM me for info. OR, if we could get a group to go in on a GFB sponsorship, that would be awesome!! All money I recieve in donations GOES TO THE KIDS! Not one penny is kept by myself or the FD. Sponsorship benefits include tickets, t-shirts, logo on the car, sponsor booth, and recognition in the Burn Institute Newsletter.

Heres last years main event, won by a good friend of mine in the 2-20 car.

@cwriz
cwrisley

Re: Firefighter Demolition Derby!

Post by cwrisley »

Back to the car!

I picked up a 1972 Chevy Bel Air at the auction the other day. Its a 4 door sedan thats weighs just over 4,000 lbs! Should inflict some damage. It came with a running 350 and TH350 trans. As the derby rules state, I have to remove all glass, lights, lenses, interior, fuel tank, and anything else unnecessary. A 4" steel tube must be placed behind the driver seat and through-bolted at the B-pillar. A screen or mesh is also required for windshield. My immeadiate goal is to get her running smooth. I plan on doing an intake, 4 barrel carb, headers, and probably a spool in the rear among other things. Some stuff I will have keep secret in case spys happen upon this thread!! ;)

Here she is.....
Attachments
257_72_Chevy_Bel_Air.jpg
257_72_Chevy_Bel_Air.jpg (36.26 KiB) Viewed 2488 times
@cwriz
cwrisley

Post by cwrisley »

Went to the Big 3 Parts Exchange today and scored a few things for the derby car: Edelbrock performer intake, Holley 650 carb, and Delco distributor.

Good stuff at the Big 3 today. A pretty big turn out.

Im removing the all the AC stuff today. Anyone have old Edelbrock air cleaner tins laying around? I have the filter element.
@cwriz
rushcanuck
Bronco Info: 1995 Bronco XLT, 5.8L, E4OD, Limited Slip Diff's, 340,000km's

Post by rushcanuck »

thats a cool way to fund raise. all my departments do is pancake breakfasts, car washes, and calenders. good luck!
cwrisley

Post by cwrisley »

I wanted to post up the sponsorship levels in case anyone is interested in helping out with this awesome event and charity. The build has begun and were happily accepting donations from anyone! Your name or your company’s name would look great on our car that we’ll be smashing and crashing for this very meaningful cause. Yes, we need your sponsorship, not only to put together a competitive car and win but also to reach our minimum fundraising goal of at least $1000 for the Burn Institute. The Burn Institute is the nonprofit agency dedicated to reducing the impact of burn injuries and deaths in San Diego, Imperial, Riverside and San Bernardino counties. Founded in 1972, the Burn Institute funds vital burn research and treatment, reaches thousands of children and adults each year with fire and burn prevention education, and conducts burn survivor support programs such as the Camp Beyond the Scars for children recovering from severe burn injuries.

FIRE EXPO/Demo Derby is the only special event in San Diego County endorsed by the San Diego County Fire Chiefs' Association where every fire agency, association and union participates. The Fairgrounds offers us the opportunity to reach approximately 60,000 guests!

Levels:

Taladega - $1000

Large logo prominently displayed on the derby car
Sponsor Booth at Demo Derby ($400 Value)
Logo prominently displayed on commemorative Fire fighter Demo Derby T-shirts
Logo and company recognition on the Burn Institute website
Ten (10) complimentary tickets to the Fire EXPO/Firefighter Demo Derby
Ten (10 )complimentary commemorative Fire Fighter Demo Derby T-shirts
Special recognition in the Burn Institute Newsletter (firsthand readership of 29,000)

Daytona - $750

Large logo displayed on derby car
Logo and company recognition on the Burn Institute website
Logo prominently displayed on commemorative Fire Fighter Demo Derby T-shirts
Eight (8) complimentary tickets to the Fire EXPO/Firefighter Demo Derby
Eight (8) complimentary commemorative Fire Fighter Demo Derby T-shirts
Special recognition in the Burn Institute Newsletter (firsthand readership of 29,000)
Association with local firefighters and San Diego-based nonprofit organization with nearly four decades of service to the community

Darlington- $500

Company name or logo displayed on the derby car
Six (6) complimentary tickets to the Fire EXPO/Firefighter Demo Derby
Six (6) complimentary commemorative Fire Fighter Demo Derby T-shirts
Association with local firefighters and San Diego-based nonprofit organization with nearly four decades of service to the community

Brickyard - $250

Company name or logo prominently displayed on derby car panel
Four (4) complimentary tickets to the Fire EXPO/Firefighter Demo Derby
Four (4) complimentary commemorative Fire Fighter Demo Derby T-shirts

Bristol - $100

Company name or logo displayed on derby car
Two (2) complementary commemorative Fire Fighter Demo Derby T-shirts

Richmond - $50

Company name or logo displayed on derby car
@cwriz
cwrisley

Post by cwrisley »

The derby car is coming along nicely. The carb is out being rebuilt right now by one of our sponsors Jennings Automotive. Im getting really excited about this derby and hope some of you guys can make it out!

Progress.....

New goodies picked up today...

Seat and wheel going in...

....AND the Wrisley Family Pit crew practicing for the big day!!
...the number 210 Hello Kitty Chevrolet will be running strong come June! Haha
@cwriz
cwrisley

Post by cwrisley »

Been busy lately, but progress has been made. She's running really strong and should be a contender. My list is getting shorter for her to pass tech. The 3" cross tube has to be extended and fully welded, then through-bolted through the body. Im removing the fuel tank and installing the "cell" (marine style tank). Metal mesh screen replaces the windshield as well. If your going to the Del Mar Fair (SD County Fair), make it worth your while and come June 16th and watch the derby for free. This is gonna be a good time.

Pic of the cockpit, wiring is all coming out soon!

...and yes, the seat is mounted crooked! Its about 15 degrees right so I can look over my right shoulder easier while hard charging in reverse.
@cwriz
robertcrav
Let me google that for you
Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies

Post by robertcrav »

Awesome cause!! Good Luck!
cwrisley

Post by cwrisley »

Ive been busy working on the car. All the electrical has been yanked out and Im running all new wiring to a modified dash that will sit next to my seat. Paint is all but done and sponsor stickers are ready to go. My title sponsor ended up being my wife and her Mary Kay business. Her and some other Mary Kay girls stepped up and donated $1000!! So, the theme of the car is the Mary Kay Cadillac (even though its a Chevy!)......

Primered

Window screen started

First coat of pink

Final product
ImageImage

Sponsors stickers
@cwriz
scraptor
Bronco Info: 1994 f150 bronco wannabe

Post by scraptor »

If you want some advice, pull the distributor out and hammer the firewall in as far as you behind it, when you get slammed , the motor can slide back enough to hit and break the cap, also that Zgate might be a pain to shift from reverse to low and back, try it, you ll see, a lot of guys here just make up a rod off the leve of the tranny, also steal a sofa cushion to put against the drivers door, even if you don t get hit from that side, you still sort of rock into it, it ll soften the blow.
cwrisley

Post by cwrisley »

Thanks for tips. I never thought about the distributor hitting the fire wall. I did remove the gated parts on the shifter, so it all I do is slam up for reverse, slam down for low. I also did a parking gear lockout so I cant get stuck in park. I like the cushion idea, I was thinking of ways to do something similar. Gonna steal that idea for sure!!
@cwriz
cwrisley

Post by cwrisley »

The derby is just around the corner! Tying up all the loose ends this week and final prep next. Im gonna try to get it out to the El Cajon car show Wednesday the 13th (3 days before the derby). If any of our East County GFBers wanna come check it out, the support would be great. Also, Im thinking we could use an extra couple hands in the pits to prep the car and work on it between heats. If anyone wants in, shoot me a PM for details.

And a HUGE thank you to Cutting Edge Wood Floors Inc and fellow GFBer donncdrc for the sponsorship! We cant thank you enough for the support.
@cwriz
scraptor
Bronco Info: 1994 f150 bronco wannabe

Post by scraptor »

Try and get some video, and if you saved the grille and stuff, these guys will pay good beer money for it,
Think you could get a Camberg kit for those?
Good luck.
cwrisley

Post by cwrisley »

The big day is tomorrow! Im doing all the last minute tuning and testing today. The car turned out awesome. I hope to see some of you guys there, if not then standby for pics Saturday night.

Here she is while burning the midnight oil at the station. The stars on the hood arent stickers, their holes in case it catches fire! Fingers crossed! Not all the sponsor stickers are on yet, but you get the idea.....

Last edited by cwrisley on Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
@cwriz
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Looks good Chris! Have fun & be safe!
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
cwrisley

Post by cwrisley »

Well....the pink demon did me proud. We laid some good hits in our heat and advanced to the main. During the heat I lost all coolant and Im pretty sure all oil! Took a few good licks as well (in the vid, watch for the cross court tail-to-tail slam). After I lost my coolant, I saw my temp gauge pegged at 250 degrees! So, I gave it more skinny pedal! The right rear tire came off the wheel, good thing I welded the rear end. Between the heat and main, we were able to get two spares on and beat the fenders back for clearance. She was still really hot and didnt want to start for the main, but was able to limp it in. I staled it out a few times but kept it running until she finally gave up. Fork lift put it back on the trailer. I got home and it fired right up and I drove it into the garage!! My partner Joe (in the 10 car) took the trophy so at least the trophy came home with us. He won it in 2010. He's the first two time winner.

Thanks to Donn and everyone else that came out and sponsored us. It was a great time.

Heat 1

Main Event
@cwriz
Agui-E7TE
Bronco Info: 89 Bronco w/ 6 in. skyjacker kit w/ dual Bilstein 5150 shocks up front and Deaver F53's in the rear

Post by Agui-E7TE »

That's F'n awesome!
cwrisley

Post by cwrisley »

Thanks man, it was a really good time. A lot of guys were smack talking about the pink car....kinda embarassing getting taken out by the pink demon!!

More pics of race day....

We had a GoPro but I took a pic instead of recording video..... :oops: :roll:

....and sadly, the frowny face bumper.....

@cwriz
Agui-E7TE
Bronco Info: 89 Bronco w/ 6 in. skyjacker kit w/ dual Bilstein 5150 shocks up front and Deaver F53's in the rear

Post by Agui-E7TE »

It looked like you had a blast out there. Car looked awesome and put on a hell of a show. As for the dudes talking smack.. at least you gave them a facelift for their troubles :lol:

Some of the guys on here and I have talked about possibly doing the 24 hours of lemons with a TTB Bronco but it looks like there's always a big race going on during the event.
cwrisley

Post by cwrisley »

Bumping this back up, cuz its time to get ready for this years derby!

We are still looking for a good car, seems like slim pickings this year for some reason. We are looking for an American made full sized sedan, 70's or 80's, preferably with a V8. If anyone has a lead on anything similar to this, please let me know. We are not picky, so any condition is OK. Its getting gutted anyways!!

I'll post up sponsor packets again as soon as I get them if anyone is interested this year. Great cause for burned children. Some of our guys went to the "Camp Beyond the Scars" this year and said it is a real life changer for these kids. Stay tuned for more!!