Firefighter Demolition Derby!

Bronco Info: 1979 Class 3 Race Bronco. Built in 2000.

Re: Firefighter Demolition Derby!

Post by 300 »

At first I thought it was sad you were cutting up such a cherry classic, then I saw the red interior. Holy crap, the world will not miss that!

Let us know if the rear is a 28 or 31 spline, might have a mini spool to throw at it.
cwrisley
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco..........

Post by cwrisley »

Rmc wrote:I hope your wearing gloves pre bleach bath, keep in mind the hanta virus, spray her down good. Don't forget to let us know what parts you hunting to get her ready. Nice progress.
Gloves, mask, long sleeves.... I had hanta exactly in mind while shoveling crap out of the trunk. Nasty back there.
300 wrote:Let us know if the rear is a 28 or 31 spline, might have a mini spool to throw at it.
It's a 28 spline. Ive heard good things about the mini, as long as the pin holds. I saw Jegs sells a "more-bitchin" chromoly pin that will "most likely not break"! I appreciate the words and offers. Any help we can get is awesome and goes a long way. If anyone is in East SD county, stop by to check her out and have a beer. Im less than 10 min from AutoFab.

Post by 300 »

I do have a 28 spline mini spool. Since you are close to Autofab, I will send it with John or Tiffany and they should have it at the shop next week.

I never had a problem with the stock pin even running on pavement with a pretty healthy 383 for several seasons. I wouldn't try drag racing with it.
cwrisley

Post by cwrisley »

300 wrote:I do have a 28 spline mini spool. Since you are close to Autofab, I will send it with John or Tiffany and they should have it at the shop next week.

I never had a problem with the stock pin even running on pavement with a pretty healthy 383 for several seasons. I wouldn't try drag racing with it.
Thank you very much Don! It shouldnt be an issue on a stock 460, especially in the mud we run in. I'll keep you posted on the install results. You can receive sponsorship credit for donated parts and be recognized by the Burn Institute. If your interested in any of that, PM me.

Post by 300 »

John has the mini spool as of a week ago and hopefully he brought it back from San Felipe. I told him there would likely only be one guy coming in and looking for it. Let me know if you have any trouble tracking it down. Good Luck!
cwrisley

Post by cwrisley »

Thanks again. Im on a bit of a stretch at work, hopefully I can swing by next week and grab it.
cwrisley

Post by cwrisley »

Updates:

Car is almost 100% torn down. A few small trim pieces left. I got my cable shifter in finally. The biggest upgrade is the HEI distributor. I was a little hesitant to pull the trigger on this one, but for the price I couldn't pass it up. I have to dial in the timing, but from TDC at 0*, she lit right off and revs great after a little advance. Its just timed by ear right now. I ran out of time and beer last night.
cwrisley

Post by cwrisley »

I wanted to pick your brains about exhaust. The car came equipped with fairly new exhaust from the manifolds back, h-pipe into dual magnaflow mufflers. It is all clean and straight, but obviously the mufflers have to go, cuz 'Murica. My question is should I cut the exhaust before or after the h-pipe? Ive read the h-pipe will make more power, less sound. Any truth to this? I have to keep reminding myself that Im not building a race car...she's still a '75 Lincoln that deserves wrecking!!
Rmc
El Jefe
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

Post by Rmc »

My 2 cents is cut the exhaust post h pipe, reason being there's what I recall reading years ago anyway is called valvolic repercussion or a vacume created by the dwell or pressure variation between each valves opening to release exhaust pressures. So in reality the exhaust pushes and pulls on a small scales constantly. So with the h pipe intact this would help reduce the momentary vacuum due to the opposing side of the engine keeping the in tube pressure up reducing the pull effect right before valve closure. This ensures little back flow of exhaust gasses into the exhausting cylinder. The same effect applies when talking intakes and this is the reason for crossover tubes in high performance dual carb set ups. The crossover on the intake side equalizes the pressure on each side of the engine so the atomized fuel has a place to go and will greatly reduce throttle lag because the atomized mixture is already at hand and follows the path of least resistance to which ever side is drawing.
cwrisley

Post by cwrisley »

Im banging my head against the wall.

I just timed the motor, and she was runnin' great. The secondary bowl suddenly overflowed and puked fuel from around the bowl gasket. I assumed the needle was stuck open, so I swaped both out with a new ones and cleaned out both bowls. Still overflowed. I figured return line must be clogged, since there was no filter from the stock tank and some crud was found in the bowls. I blew out the hard line and replace the soft. Still overflowed. I guessed the return must be clogged on the mechanical fuel pump. Replaced the pump, still overflowed. Am I dealing with a carb issue Im somehow overlooking? Bowls are adjusted low to help prevent overflow, but fuel is still somehow pushing through.

Im ready to get out the matches and bbq me a Lincoln.....lol
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

Factory fuel pump?
What about an inline fuel regulator? Sounds to me like either its not restricting or bypassing depending on the type. Generally a leaking needle and seat causes flooding not overflow. Also ( not sure what kind of carb were talking about here) but a few things to eyeball inside the carb when your looking.
Cracks in float inside bowl, if the float gets cracked it will fill up and not float causing overflow.
Check the small silver square thingy with the rubber tit, that is the input fuel stop when the bowl raises the rubber tit stops or corks the in coming fuel supply. Hang on ill google a pick as the names of the stopper is eluding me.
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

Ya I'm confusing my carb parts. I was thinking of the float needle.
cwrisley

Post by cwrisley »

I guess I forgot to mention it's a Holley 600cfm with vacuum secondaries.

So I pulled the secondary bowl off last night. Gave it another thorough cleaning and checked the needle. Everything appeared fine. I started the motor, no overflow but sounded like it wasnt getting enough fuel, so I gave it some throttle. Instant overflow followed by a backfire = not a good situation in my garage.

BTW, I need a new fire extinguisher now. This carb is dead to me....
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

Backfire out the intake or out the exhaust? If intake primary or secondary is too lean. If out the exhaust too rich. My advise shit can the vacuum type and go mechanical. I have the carb you need. It mechanical secondary 650cfm. The issue I've always had was being able to wrap my head around the vacuum type due to the accelerator pump being vacuum controlled. I'm far from an expert on the vacuum type I only worked on the mechanical secondary type. Ill call a friend of mine who's an expert on that stuff ill pick his brain. Ill get back to you in a few.
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

cwrisley

Post by cwrisley »

Thanks for the info. Back fire came out the carb, followed by instant vehicle fire inside my garage. Not good when the firefighter burns his own house down. Luckily I had several extinguishers nearby. No damage to anything.

I did, however, score a rebuild from a reputable carb shop here in SD. He doing it for free as an anonymous donor.
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

Sweet! Anonymous is cool but free is cooler. Hope this does the trick for you.
cwrisley

Post by cwrisley »

Quick update: The car is coming along great, running awesome! I'll post up some pics after paint and stickers.

I wanted invite everyone to a Pre-Demo Derby rally at BNS Brewery in Santee, May 30th at 4pm. A lot of the cars will be there. BNS has a great band lined up, awesome food, raffles, car judging, and a lot more. If you cant make the actually derby, make it to this event. Its gonna be a lot of fun. BNS is donating a portion of its proceeds to the Burn Institute. Again, this whole event is to raise money for burn survivor children to go to "Camp Beyond the Scars". Lets get some GFB representation there!!
cwrisley

Post by cwrisley »

We won best in show at BNS Brewery's pre-derby rally!
Attachments
10384306_783237601699997_5966003832048815347_n.jpg
10384306_783237601699997_5966003832048815347_n.jpg (77.06 KiB) Viewed 666 times
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

She looks ready to smash. Ask your Mary Kay rep when it's all smashed up if her make up can make it look new again, surely she has a miracle consealer. :lol: