Firefighter Demolition Derby!

cwrisley
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco..........

Re: Firefighter Demolition Derby!

Post by cwrisley »

Well fellas, Ive been off the board for awhile. Not havin' a Bronco and all. But....

I thought I'd throw out that we are doing the derby again this year. Im piloting the big bad Lincoln again. She faired pretty well last year so we are running her again. A buddy from work has an identical Lincoln, so we should be a force to be reckoned with. She's getting a fresh coat of "desert tan" and Donnie's is gonna be olive drab green. Hopefully this year one of these screamin' 460s takes the trophy home.

If anyone is interested in donating/sponsoring the cars, please PM me. As in all the years past, we are raising money for the Burn Institutes "Camp Beyond the Scars", a summer camp program for burn survivor children. June 6th is the Derby at the Del Mar Fair, and June 2nd is the pre-derby rally at Ballast Point Brewery in Mira Mesa. Both are gonna be a good time and Id love to see some GFB shirts in crowd, or better yet, bangin' out fenders with us in the pits. See ya there...
cwrisley

Post by cwrisley »

Well, here we go again. Getting geared up for this year's derby. Picked up a 72 Olds off Craigslist. It's got a 350 Rocket (which I learned means absolutely nothing) and a TH350 trans. Same deal as years past, getting this thing ready to smash. We've named her "Big Booty Judy"!
cwrisley

Post by cwrisley »

Started the tear down. I was told "some rust under the ragtop". They weren't lying....

Garlic Bronco
Bronco Info: currently just a group truck 89 bronco 351 c6 gutted for playing in the sand

Post by Garlic Bronco »

holy shit, thats a hell of a lot of "some"

they should have just told you there was no roof under it LOL
If you can't be fast, Look fast!
www.UC4X4.com
cwrisley

Post by cwrisley »

So, the redneck fix is I filled all the voids and holes with expanding foam. Shaving it smooth with a knife once it's cured. Then I'm gonna re-cover the top with a canvas painters drop cloth. Self tappers and some 3m adhesive spray...good to go. Well, good enough for a demo derby anyways.
cwrisley

Post by cwrisley »

Weird issue happening with the derby car. I'm getting about 25-30 volts at the battery when idling. My first thought was the alternator was the overcharging culprit, so I had it tested, it failed, I replaced it.

Same issue.

Voltage regulator was my next suspect. Replaced it.

Same issue.

Checked all grounds, cleaned and rechecked.

Same issue.

This is how I have it wired per the alt manual...

Any thoughts fellas??
Bronco Info: 1979 Class 3 Race Bronco. Built in 2000.

Post by 300 »

Somehow getting full voltage to the field? Put a volt meter on that and see what you get. That would be the F terminal in your drawing. Should drop down to way less than 12 volts when the output is 13 or 14 volts. Is that reference voltage connection in place as shown, terminal 3? Have you also tried a different battery? That can cause some odd problems. I have also used a Chrysler regulator with GM and Ford alternators. They just have two terminals, switched ignition power and field. Look for something from the late 60's vintage. I have seen some guys not even bother with a charging system but I never liked that idea.
cwrisley

Post by cwrisley »

Thanks for the info. I ended up swapping out the alt for a GM 1 wire. Self exciting, internally regulated. I don't know why I try bothering with external regulators. Lesson learned.
cwrisley

Post by cwrisley »

The car is running great and we're almost set for the Derby. Just picked up a set of Goodyear Wrangler tires from Discount Tire of El Cajon. Good dudes down there. Go see Dennis for your next set. I'll be painting the car this weekend, pics to follow.

If anyone in GFB land is interested in sponsoring the car this year, please let me know. Great event and a great cause. June 4th is quickly approaching. We'll be at the Del Mar Fairgrounds opening day in front of 60,000 fans. Every penny we raise goes directly to the Burn Institute specifically for their "Camp Beyond the Scars", a summer camp program for burn survivor children and teens. It's all a tax write off and comes with your logo on the car, tshirts, tickets, and more. Give me a call or text if you're interested.

cwrisley

Post by cwrisley »

Big Booty Judy...

cwrisley

Post by cwrisley »

Getting close. The car is coming together nicely. I lifted the rear end with a stock set of Bronco coils. Gave the car about 4 inches. The new problem is the socks are now too short. Anyone got a set of old crappy shocks laying around? The stockers on it are 21 inches extended, so I'm looking for something close to 24 inches or so. Axle wrap is gnarly when you stand on it. We tested her out at my buddies in Alpine. She hooks up, even with the open diff. I hope to have the 10 bolt welded up here this week.
cwrisley

Post by cwrisley »

I never finished updating on last year's car. Car came together nicely and we ended up 3rd overall. Best finish yet.

I am well underway on this year's rig. 1977 Oldsmobile 98. It's got a 6.6L 403, TH400 trans, GM 10 bolt rear end. This was the beginning of the smog/gas saver era, so it is pretty choked down. What little smog it had, has been removed, Holley 600vs replaced the leaky Quadrajet. Upgraded the ignition to an HEI dizzy. Not mention new water pump, fuel pump, starter, belts, wires, and hoses. She scoots now. Got her completely gutted and all my derby goodies installed.

Again, this is a charity event we do every year to raise money for the Burn Institute. The money we raise sends burn survivor kids to "Camp Beyond the Scars". A great time for a great cause. Any business owners out there in GFB-land interested in advertising by sponsoring the car, every penny goes to the Burn Institute. There are many different sponsor packages. Contact me if your interested.

Back to the car.....

Started out as rust free, damage free Olds

Stripped every bit of the interior out

Got all my parts installed and almost ready to smash it!

Paint and graphics coming in the next week.
cwrisley

Post by cwrisley »

Demo Derby Worldwide, wide, wide, wide.

Demo Derby Worldwide.
The first word in demolition derby
First word.
Management.
Financial portfolios.
Insurance.
Computers.
Black leather gloves.
Research and development.
Putting in the man-hours to study the science of what you need. Last week we put Liquid Paper on a bee... ...and it died.
Security.
Security.

And...
Investors?

Possibly you!ImageImage
cwrisley

Post by cwrisley »

Car is done! Look for us on a KUSI commercial promoting the event. Still time to sponsor the car and help send burned kids to camp!ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
hollandermotorsports
Bronco Info: 1990 Bronco lifted, 1995 Centurian F-150 with body lift delete

Post by hollandermotorsports »

Car looks killer bud. I cannot wait to see it in action.
cwrisley

Post by cwrisley »

Getting things moving again this year. Last year we had an amazing car and took home the championship! We raised almost $3500 for the Burn Institute with our great sponsors like Hollander Motorsports! Almost $70k total from all the cars. So rad. This event funds the "Camp Beyond the Scars" for burn survivor kids from So Cal. Give me a call or shoot me a PM if you want to get involved with the build, pits, or donate. It's all tax deductible.

This year I picked up a 1979 Lincoln, 400m C6 9". Should be a great combo. I've never run a 400 but heard they are torque monsters, which is good for demo derby. She's drove off the trailer and is gonna be a contender for (hopefully) back-to-back wins! Very little rust to speak of, it's a pretty solid car.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Needles929
Bronco Info: 95 Part Deux

Post by Needles929 »

Dang! There was a caprice on some mud tires listed on one of the FB pages not long ago. I will see if I can find it.
95 Part Deux. Starting from scratch.
Needles929
Bronco Info: 95 Part Deux

Post by Needles929 »

Nevermind. That was weird. The page didn't take me to the last post. I thought you were still looking for a car. Doh!
95 Part Deux. Starting from scratch.
hollandermotorsports
Bronco Info: 1990 Bronco lifted, 1995 Centurian F-150 with body lift delete

Post by hollandermotorsports »

We are in again this year. This is such an awesome event for a great cause. If you have an extra $10, $20, $100, $1000 or more I highly recommend being a part of this Camp Beyond the Scars event. These firefighters do an awesome job of giving the fans a show. We will be a part of this event as long as our budget supports it. I will make the GFB guys a deal any VSS kits bought from now 2-26-18 till 5-1-18 through Desolate Motorsports or Solo Motorsports I will personally kick in an extra $10 per a VSS kit sold out of my personal wallet and have my sticker guy cut your name into a sticker for Chris's Chariot. This will be over and above the Hollander Motorsports yearly contribution. So if you see this and buy a kit from Desolate Motorsports or Solo Motorsports Email me a copy of your receipt to Bhollander85@gmail.com please put Firefighter Derby Car in the subject and your name will be on a panel of this Hot Rod for an awesome cause. I may even have a few extra tickets we will do something fun with.
18765711_1650577664970018_8542282829306110770_n.jpg
18765711_1650577664970018_8542282829306110770_n.jpg (69.12 KiB) Viewed 546 times
cwrisley

Post by cwrisley »

Brandon you are the man! What an awesome deal! Thanks for being a part of the team.
@cwriz