The Gun Thread

dtbback
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Re: The Gun Thread

Post by dtbback »

SteveG wrote:I'm not embarassed to say I've spent about 30 minutes tonight working on this with my girls singing along. Will do soon with live ammunition.

One of the most entertaining videos Ive seen in a while... fun, impressive handgun manipulation and a catchy tune to boot.

http://youtu.be/0QtM7X0xYN8
Hilarious!
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Post by cs_drums »

So I'm reworking my AR. Before I start taking it apart I figure is see if anyone is interested in the whole upper for sale or trade.

I initially built it with the intent of a scope and bipod but now I want to play more shoot and move. It has a 14" Troy quad rail w/16" barrel. I want to go with 14" barrel and 10" rail system.

I willing to trade parts or whole upper if comparable parts or cash either way.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421332314.665067.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421332314.665067.jpg (247.21 KiB) Viewed 815 times
The nikon p-223 scope is possible to go with it if interested.

PM or call text 760-419-094three
scraptor
Bronco Info: 1994 f150 bronco wannabe

Post by scraptor »

What can you tell me about Winchester Defender shotguns?
My cousin has one, it jams if rapid fired, either not feeding, or failing to eject.
Google tells me that they were prone to bent ejectors and breaking ejector springs.
Anyone ever had one apart?
Rmc
El Jefe
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

Post by Rmc »

I've had a Winchester defender for 15 years never had any issues. What length shells are you trying to shoot? I'd start by checking shell length and compare it to spec sheet by the mfg. I would also oil it really well with rem oil or Lucas firearm lube. Check eBay for the ejector assembly parts.
scraptor
Bronco Info: 1994 f150 bronco wannabe

Post by scraptor »

Rmc wrote:I've had a Winchester defender for 15 years never had any issues. What length shells are you trying to shoot? I'd start by checking shell length and compare it to spec sheet by the mfg. I would also oil it really well with rem oil or Lucas firearm lube. Check eBay for the ejector assembly parts.
You may be on to something, he keeps his guns really clean and dry.
I might over oil mine. I stopped in at his place last night and came home with two chainsaws, and never checked out the guns.
AussieRod
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.

Post by AussieRod »

AussieRod wrote:So, the Mossberg Patrol I ordered in 300 Blackout wont be released from Cuntstoms until the New Year some time. I've spoken to the gunshop on several occasions, but the hold-up on delivery is being blamed on Obutthead's visit to the G20. For almost a month, Customs has cited " security concerns for the G20" as the reasons for delaying the release of about 4,000 firearms. The gun is definately in Customs, we (the dealer and I) are just waiting for the beurocratic BS to abate and for the gates to open for it's release. Until then, I'm playing the waiting game. In the meantime, I am downsizing dramatically at home, selling off ALL my un-needed stuff on Ebay. I'm also giving the pistol licence idea the flick, as I am required to buy a new safe ($700+) to store the pistol inside it's own seperate lockbox, plus a whole bunch of new security rules are coming. I just don't have time for this bullshit. I'm going to add a Baikal coach gun, a MVP .223 Flex tactical and a Remington 7600 in 30-06 to my current collection and thats it. In the meantime, a merry and safe Xmas to all my fellow Bronco bretheren.
Cheers :D
Time for an update, now I've been out of hospital for a week and haven't died. The Mossberg was a waste of time (almost 4 months). It seems the importer wasn't exactly being honest. Apparently, the 80 or so MVP's in 300 blk turned out to be 5.56 Patrol rifles when customs finally got around to releasing them. With no date (not even a guess) as to when they might turn up (and EVERYTHING going up 20% in price next month due to our South Pacific Peso going through the floor again) I made an executive decision and exchanged it for a Remington 700 AAC SC in 300 BLK. That was picked up the day after I got out of Hospital, and is locked in the safe, already assembled with a Weaver Tactical pic rail, 1" Weaver rings and the Tasco Tactical 2.5 - 10 x 42 Mildot. It is a well balanced little package, and points like a good scattergun, so I'm going to the range on sunday to try it out and see if it was worth all the trouble. I'll update on sunday with pics. Cheers.
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

The Gun Thread

Post by Wrightracing.net »

Sweet. Good to hear you didn't die in the Hospital.

I have been thinking of getting a 308 or other large caliber for hunting. I am not sure what platform I want in 308. Maybe an AR10 but maybe a thumbhole stock Model 700? I have a Remington Model 700 in 50 caliber Muzzleloader, which I have not shot yet.

We will see, I have been picking up parts for my AR15 Pistol. I got my Troy Battle sights and X2 Scorpion Recoil Pistol Grip. I am just about to pull the trigger on a 7.5" complete upper with a X3 flash can to redirect the sound down range. I have also been thinking of going the gas piston conversion route to make the pistol more reliable.
AussieRod
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.

Post by AussieRod »

Wrightracing.net wrote:Sweet. Good to hear you didn't die in the Hospital.

I have been thinking of getting a 308 or other large caliber for hunting. I am not sure what platform I want in 308. Maybe an AR10 but maybe a thumbhole stock Model 700? I have a Remington Model 700 in 50 caliber Muzzleloader, which I have not shot yet.

We will see, I have been picking up parts for my AR15 Pistol. I got my Troy Battle sights and X2 Scorpion Recoil Pistol Grip. I am just about to pull the trigger on a 7.5" complete upper with a X3 flash can to redirect the sound down range. I have also been thinking of going the gas piston conversion route to make the pistol more reliable.
Thanks. I actually "died" at work a few weeks ago, collapsing on the staircase going up to the smoko room. The boys at work hooked me up to a AED and it keep me running until I reached the ICU. Apparently, I had suffered "water poisoning" caused by too much water hydration and my electrolytes falling to almost zero. That caused the system to go into shock and shut down, basically killing me. A very close call. I was sweating buckets that day and was drinking plenty of water to stay hydrated, but water isnt enough, as it dilutes the body's minerals and salts if overdone. I overdid it. So, waking up in ICU several hours later, I have 9 more stitches in my scalp along with a shocking headache, several cracked ribs and a cracked collarbone (my bad one), a bruised sternum (from CPR) and enough bruising to make me black and blue all over from falling down the stairs. I have to take salt tablets every day and an electrolyte drink if I start to sweat too much. Anyway, I'm still here, and looking forward to hitting the range with the Remington to put it through its paces.
The gas piston conversion is expensive for the AR platform, but IMHO a good investment if ones has the funds and need. I'm interested to see the end result. :D
AussieRod

Post by AussieRod »

Range day didnt happen on Sunday, as I mis-read the calendar, thinking it was the 3rd Sunday of the month (public practice is every 1st and 3rd Sunday) but only 4 members were there planning a rimfire shoot. However, as it was furnace hot, it turned into practice but the butthead in charge wouldnt let me use a centrefire. So, down the block I went, set up a rusty old 5 gal drum we use as a shotgun target and proceeded to zero in the Remington. Once zero'd at 25m, I started getting serious and using my home-made cases from range pick-ups, 30 yo ADI2205 (W296 and H110 equiv.) and Sierra 110gn M1 Carbine Rn FMJ, I shot 2 4 shot groups with each group all 4 going clean through the same hole. My home-mades with 130gn Taipan HP's did exactly the same. Next was some Remington factory 125gn Accu-tip. Repeat performance, 5 shots in a nickle sized hole. The Hordady subsonic 208gn Vmax group of 5 was slightly bigger and in a vertical line, as expected. It seems I might be on to something with this newfangled Blackout thingy, but a proper test at the range this coming sunday (confirmed) will tell a real story as I shoot at 25m, 50m and 100m to see how different loads group and to fine tune the sight-in. So far, I'm quietly impressed. I'll keep you informed.
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

Picked this up today...
AussieRod

Post by AussieRod »

AussieRod wrote:Range day didnt happen on Sunday, as I mis-read the calendar, thinking it was the 3rd Sunday of the month (public practice is every 1st and 3rd Sunday) but only 4 members were there planning a rimfire shoot. However, as it was furnace hot, it turned into practice but the butthead in charge wouldnt let me use a centrefire. So, down the block I went, set up a rusty old 5 gal drum we use as a shotgun target and proceeded to zero in the Remington. Once zero'd at 25m, I started getting serious and using my home-made cases from range pick-ups, 30 yo ADI2205 (W296 and H110 equiv.) and Sierra 110gn M1 Carbine Rn FMJ, I shot 2 4 shot groups with each group all 4 going clean through the same hole. My home-mades with 130gn Taipan HP's did exactly the same. Next was some Remington factory 125gn Accu-tip. Repeat performance, 5 shots in a nickle sized hole. The Hordady subsonic 208gn Vmax group of 5 was slightly bigger and in a vertical line, as expected. It seems I might be on to something with this newfangled Blackout thingy, but a proper test at the range this coming sunday (confirmed) will tell a real story as I shoot at 25m, 50m and 100m to see how different loads group and to fine tune the sight-in. So far, I'm quietly impressed. I'll keep you informed.

Well, a few range days have passed and been put to good use and I've come to the conclusion i LIKE the Blackout! :D I can put 3 shots thru the same hole @ 100M easily with Taipan 130 gn HP's and home-made cases. Winchester primers (30 y.o.) and ADI 2205 @ 18.2 gns make a nice accurate load for the 700. I also have a heap of 110 gn Sierra RNFMJ M1 carbine bullets that do well, going inside an inch at 100M. Ideal for "plinking".
A few observations for those who MIGHT consider a 700 in Blackout:
It seems to be case INsensitive, as it prints the same using factory Remington brass or my home-mades from range pick-ups.
The Hogue overmould stock is a useless POS. Forget trying to use a bipod. The fore end flexs to buggery and shooting from a bag or bipod, my groups open up to 1" - 1 1/4". If I hold the stock tight down just in front of the mag well and shoot, it shoots thru the same hole at any range. An MDT LSS stock upgrade is on the cards.
The factory mag well is a right royal PITA to feed rounds into. A DBM conversion with the MDT stock is a MUST.
Other than that, it's a nice piece of kit, and it's going on the next hunting trip to blood it.
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

Rod, Will the new stock supply mechanical bedding or will you epoxy bed the stock after you get it? Would this be a viable solution to help with the accuracy issues?
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

I have always been told that a floating barrel is best for accuracy. My Model 700 in .50 cal muzzle loader is not a floating barrel where my AR 15 20" bull barrel in 5.56mm / .223 is a floating barrel. Obviously the AR is more accurate than the 700, so would a floating barrel stock on the 700 make it more accurate. I have the factory polymer stock and I have been thinking of getting a laminate thumbhole stock with a floating barrel. Would this make the 700 more accurate?
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

To my understanding a free float barrel is what you want but the actual " gun" mechanism of the bolt/ reciever ect should be properly bedded to provide increased accuracy. Basically I'm not familiar with the stock he's talking about. More or less if the bolt area of the rifle is not bound into the stock it can shift around from shot to shot so your grouping goes to hell. Once bedded and scope adjusted to the bedded position it should no longer be able to shit from shot to shot if done correctly and repeatability drastically improved.
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

An at is a different type of beast completely because the upper is mechanically bound to the lower providing this repeatability of the bolt carrier group.
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

AR* sorry typo above
AussieRod

Post by AussieRod »

Rmc wrote:Rod, Will the new stock supply mechanical bedding or will you epoxy bed the stock after you get it? Would this be a viable solution to help with the accuracy issues?
Rob, the MDT stock is billet alloy, anodised and ceracoated, it wont need bedding. It also takes AI compatible mags, so that fixes 2 problems in one hit. I already have the M4 buffer tube and nut, butt and grip, just saving up for the stock itself. MDT garantee an accuracy increase of up to 20%.
b5c6e565-aec7-4268-9182-99e20c8c1a38_large.jpg
b5c6e565-aec7-4268-9182-99e20c8c1a38_large.jpg (15.81 KiB) Viewed 590 times
9095_1.jpg
9095_1.jpg (9.08 KiB) Viewed 590 times
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

That stock is beautiful!
dtbback
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Post by dtbback »

Added a plinker to my SHTF arsenal. A Marlin 795 .22lr with red dot site. One heck of a deal too. Picked up the rifle with 775 rounds and 300 of 5.56 for a whopping 220$!
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Damn it! Bargain!