The Gun Thread

SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

The Gun Thread

Post by SteveG »

As if I need another hobby or place to spend money....

A friend and I went to the SLOSA.org EXPO in SLO today. I didn't know what to expect but their website said free shooting so I figured it couldn't be all that bad. I was right! It was a great event. Plenty of free shooting to be had and and a little of everything. Including some IDPA and USPSA demos and shooting. I have LOTS of fleeting obsessions and latest crazes but this was damn fun and just might stick! Everyone working the event was super friendly, welcoming and eager to help. Best of all, they handed over loaded firearms and said, "go to town!" Next year, I plan to take the whole family to the Expo and make a day of it.

Some time in the next couple months, my buddy and I are going to give an IDPA or USPSA competition a try... looking forward to it!

Anyone here into shooting competitions?
Sho nuff,
SteveG
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Any IDPA or USPSA shooters here?

Post by philofab »

I don't know if you know him but Kartman is.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
Andy Jones
Bronco Info: In the Works!

Re: Any IDPA or USPSA shooters here?

Post by Andy Jones »

Im into shooting! No so much comp. My father and I have a good size arsenal!!
dont PM me.. I don't get them on Taptalk
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Andy Jones wrote:Im into shooting! No so much comp. My father and I have a good size arsenal!!
Cool. Shooting has always been something fun for me, but the competitions seemed interesting because it was more than just standing there shooting at a static target. I can't commit enough time to become competitive, but I think a weekend here or there would be a blast.

No arsenal here. I'll be picking up my first gun next week. Looking forward to it!
Sho nuff,
SteveG
Bondobob
Bronco Info: 1987 XLT 5.0 in the family since new in May of 1987

Post by Bondobob »

Oh man you are stepping off on a very slippery slope......., wait until you homebrew your own rounds and tune with powder weights and chronograph to really get dialed in.

If starting with long guns try to get a Ruger 10-22 do a trigger kit on it put a bull barrel on it and a good 3x9 40 scope and blast away.

The IDF has been using this "Hush Puppy" platform for awhile.
http://www.ruger1022.com/docs/israeli_sniper.htm

My son and I have more fun with that set-up(minus the suppressor)than anything and bricks of 22lr are cheap at Dick's or Wally World.
"And God bless the United States of America!"
Elwood Blues -1980
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

Bondobob wrote:Oh man you are stepping off on a very slippery slope......., wait until you homebrew your own rounds and tune with powder weights and chronograph to really get dialed in.
I won't be going that far. I'm all about EASY hobbies. I bore easily, so if there's too much work involved, I'm out!
Bondobob wrote:If starting with long guns try to get a Ruger 10-22 do a trigger kit on it put a bull barrel on it and a good 3x9 40 scope and blast away.

The IDF has been using this "Hush Puppy" platform for awhile.
http://www.ruger1022.com/docs/israeli_sniper.htm

My son and I have more fun with that set-up(minus the suppressor)than anything and bricks of 22lr are cheap at Dick's or Wally World.
I already ordered a handgun last week. It's probably already there but my 10 days aren't up. I"ll probably get a long gun at some point but I want the wife and I to get proficient with a handgun first then move on from there.

I'm pretty sure I can get a .22 conversion barrel for my gun which would be super cheap and fun for plinking.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
johncharlesb
Bronco Info: 1962 f100, 1995 Bronco

Post by johncharlesb »

Bondobob wrote:If starting with long guns try to get a Ruger 10-22...

Truer words are rarely spoken.
PBR
Founder

Post by PBR »

sean's brother and tom (coming to pismo with me) both shoot western competitions, not really sure what it's called. sean's brother spence is the world record holder for quick shot something or other. basically he shoots guns really fast!
Ollie Penchansky
Penchansky Brothers Racing.
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

PBR wrote:sean's brother and tom (coming to pismo with me) both shoot western competitions, not really sure what it's called. sean's brother spence is the world record holder for quick shot something or other. basically he shoots guns really fast!
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I won't be setting any records!
Sho nuff,
SteveG
Nick
Founder
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target

Post by Nick »

SteveG wrote:As if I need another hobby or place to spend money....

A friend and I went to the SLOSA.org EXPO in SLO today. I didn't know what to expect but their website said free shooting so I figured it couldn't be all that bad. I was right! It was a great event. Plenty of free shooting to be had and and a little of everything. Including some IDPA and USPSA demos and shooting. I have LOTS of fleeting obsessions and latest crazes but this was damn fun and just might stick! Everyone working the event was super friendly, welcoming and eager to help. Best of all, they handed over loaded firearms and said, "go to town!" Next year, I plan to take the whole family to the Expo and make a day of it.

Some time in the next couple months, my buddy and I are going to give an IDPA or USPSA competition a try... looking forward to it!

You Bastard! I finally get an RC truck, and now you've moved on?!
pbr wrote:sean's brother spence is the world record holder for quick shot something or other. basically he shoots guns really fast!
I saw him on last seasons Top Shot.
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

Nick wrote:
SteveG wrote:As if I need another hobby or place to spend money....

You Bastard! I finally get an RC truck, and now you've moved on?!
What can I say? You're late to the party! Now all the cool kids are going to be packing heat and using your RC car for target practice!
Nick wrote:
pbr wrote:sean's brother spence is the world record holder for quick shot something or other. basically he shoots guns really fast!
I saw him on last seasons Top Shot.
Cool!
Sho nuff,
SteveG
yikes
Founder
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff

Post by yikes »

SteveG wrote:What can I say? You're late to the party! Now all the cool kids are going to be packing heat and using your RC car for target practice!
LOL! You crack me up Steve. I can see you strapped with ammo, a cigar in your mouth and a sombrero en tu cabeza. "Broncos?! We doen need no steenkeeng Broncos!"
damon1272

Post by damon1272 »

Steve,
Stay away from USPSA, idpa, or 3 gun. You will find out how quickly you will piss through money. It is a blast but then you start acquiring stuff fast. The biggest hold back from spending time and money on my Bronco is due to shooting. It is alot of fun and can be humbling, buy quality gear, GOOD sights, and spend some time dry firing and you will have a blast. I personally enjoy ISPSA or 3 gun more than IDPA but to each his own. Prepare to drain your wallet quickly.
AussieRod
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.

Post by AussieRod »

yikes wrote:
SteveG wrote:What can I say? You're late to the party! Now all the cool kids are going to be packing heat and using your RC car for target practice!
LOL! You crack me up Steve. I can see you strapped with ammo, a cigar in your mouth and a sombrero en tu cabeza. "RC cars?! We doen need no steenkeeng RC cars!"
Fixed :lol: :lol:
guard
Bronco Info: 1996 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by guard »

I've not done any competition with handguns, always been more of a shotgun guy. I grew up shooting in Skeet and Sporting Clay local and state competitions though. My father was a certified NSCA instructor, so learning was a requirement. I'm down to just one handgun...a Sigarms P239 SAS 9mm. Just received my Florida and Arizona concealed carry permits! Unfortunately California sucks for us 2nd amendment guys.
Last edited by guard on Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

damon1272 wrote:Steve,
Stay away from USPSA, idpa, or 3 gun. You will find out how quickly you will piss through money. It is a blast but then you start acquiring stuff fast. The biggest hold back from spending time and money on my Bronco is due to shooting. It is alot of fun and can be humbling, buy quality gear, GOOD sights, and spend some time dry firing and you will have a blast. I personally enjoy ISPSA or 3 gun more than IDPA but to each his own. Prepare to drain your wallet quickly.
The good news is I'm coming into this with a drained wallet, so really, a new hobby can't squeeze that much out of me. If I enjoy doing this, I'll follow my K.I.S.S. mantra. I'm all about cheap thrills.

I don't really know the difference between all the different organizations. What do the ISPSA competitions consist of?
guard wrote:I've not done any competition with handguns, always been more of a shotgun guy. I grew up shooting in Skeet and Sporting Clay local and state competitions though. My father was a certified NSCA instructor, so I learning was a requirement. I'm down to just one handgun...a Sigarms P239 SAS 9mm. Just received my Florida and Arizona concealed carry permits! Unfortunately California sucks for us 2nd amendment guys.
I can't think of any time I've ever felt like I needed to carry, but our current sheriff is supposedly pro-CCW.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
guard
Bronco Info: 1996 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by guard »

SteveG wrote:
guard wrote:I've not done any competition with handguns, always been more of a shotgun guy. I grew up shooting in Skeet and Sporting Clay local and state competitions though. My father was a certified NSCA instructor, so I learning was a requirement. I'm down to just one handgun...a Sigarms P239 SAS 9mm. Just received my Florida and Arizona concealed carry permits! Unfortunately California sucks for us 2nd amendment guys.
I can't think of any time I've ever felt like I needed to carry, but our current sheriff is supposedly pro-CCW.
Never pass up an opportunity like that, you never know when it will expire. Remember, you never need to carry a gun until you do ;)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45853756/ns ... scue-kids/
damon1272

Post by damon1272 »

Steve,
IDPA is more defensive and geared towards concealed carry. Shooting must be done behind barriers and most stages must be done in a retreating fashion to simulate a real world gun fight.

USPSA/IPSC - pure run and gun fast and fun and many less rules. Still concentrates on speed and accuracy and in my opinion more fun.

3 gun - Rifle, shotgun, pistol. Run and gun and alot of fun the bad part is you need all three weapons.

If you are looking to keep it cheaper then I would go for a 9mm and do USPSA/IPSC to start. 9mm in IDPA is scored as a minor caliber but it is easier to shoot and much cheaper. Just buy a quality weapon and have fun. If you down San Diego way some time I could run you through a course. Can't go wrong with any of the organizations it really is just what appeals to you.
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

SteveG wrote:I can't think of any time I've ever felt like I needed to carry, but our current sheriff is supposedly pro-CCW.
Funny, I feel I need my gun every time I'm in Torrance/Long Beach/Surrounding area and when in Stockton.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

philofab wrote:
SteveG wrote:I can't think of any time I've ever felt like I needed to carry, but our current sheriff is pro-CCW, so while it's available, I'll probably take the class and get a permit.
Funny, I feel I need my gun every time I'm in Torrance/Long Beach/Surrounding area and when in Stockton.
Maybe the central coast is making me soft.
Sho nuff,
SteveG