The Gun Thread

AussieRod
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.

Re: The Gun Thread

Post by AussieRod »

Picked up the 7615 tonight (finally). When I have time, I'll give it a good once over and take it down the block for a few shots. I found out the Aimpoint red dot on it is worth $800 here. I'll post some pics Sunday. Gonna be busy the next few days.
Cheers.

Edit: I haven't found NEW Pmag30's here locally or interstate without a D licence (yet). I can buy barely used Emag30's for the same price as the NEW Hexmag, but looking at the Hexmag, it seems not as well made as the Pmag. I'm converting some Pmag10's with an extender, so I might try to convert the Pmag10/30 with the bases off the 10's. I'm told they epoxy the base plate on in cuntstoms to make them non-removable. Nothing a Dremel and a steady hand can't fix ;) More soon.
damon1272

Post by damon1272 »

Why don't they install a rivet rather than the internal stops. Much easier to modify or fix.
AussieRod
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.

Post by AussieRod »

damon1272 wrote:Why don't they install a rivet rather than the internal stops. Much easier to modify or fix.
Apparently, Magpul makes these mags. In the US, they have a tongue that is part of the lock plate on the bottom of the spring to restrict the mag to 10 rds. I'm told that Aus cuntstoms uses epoxy to hold the baseplate on so that the restrictor can not be removed without destroying the mag. I have spare lock plates and baseplates, so all I need is some time with a Dremel and I have a 30 rd mag. I watched a video on Youtube showing how to remove the baseplate and just cut off the tongue that limits the follower travel. It was quite difficult for him to remove the baseplate, even though is wasn't glued on. I will buy one and see how easy it is to do, then decide which ones I will buy/convert. ;)
AussieRod

Post by AussieRod »

Stripped the 7615 down this morning and did a thorough clean up. It's been dunked in a river or dam at some stage, due to the red dirt inside the buffer tube and butt. The MORON that owned this previously used a rifle tube on the Mesa LEO adaptor and glued on a piece of rubber to use as a locator for the fixed stock, then wrapped a shit load of electrical tape around the rubber block and tube to stop the butt moving around. These fixed butt stocks must be used with a carbine buffer tube, which I just happened to have and once it was all cleaned up and assembled, fitted it up and tried it out. The length of pull was too short, so I reset it to where is suited me and then, after marking the tube, filed a groove to hold the screw tight. Now, it's just fine. I fitted the FDE Magpul fore end with Lumley adaptor, Magpul Mag catch extender, Fab Defense FDE grip and left the black buttstock on. :D The closest I'll get to an AR here ;) 8-)
I've found the mags go in best if the slide is open, otherwise the mag needs a pat to make it seat properly. I'm not a fan of smacking mags into the well, as this can damage the feed lips. If they don't go in clean and come out clean, there is a problem and it needs to be addressed. The mags (all of them) don't fall cleanly out if the bolt (slide) is closed. If the slide is open, they drop free nice and easy.
Next was try all the mags I had. I'd picked up a couple of boxes of Hornady steel case 55gn SP and loaded all the mags to capacity. First up, the Fab Defense Ultimag10. Grrrr! :evil: Jam city with multiple FTF's (failure to feed). Put that aside and tried my extended Pmag10 with extender. Perfect! Only had 1 FTF, due to short stroking the action. Next was the Emag30. Slick as a dick in a bum. All 30 went through clean as. Back to the Ultimag. Had a good look, compared it to both Pmags and decided it needed the rear groove enlarged, so out came the small round file. After a deburr, I refilled it and it was flawless. Clearly the bolt and feeder wasn't picking the round up cleanly out of the feed lips, and the file work made it work correctly. Ran 10 through it as fast as I could work the slide 5 times in a row and zero FTF's. The Aimpoint works, too. I'll run down to the block tomorrow with the case of FMJ and give it a workout. I'll take the camera and take some pics and report back.
AussieRod

Post by AussieRod »

Sunday arvo I went down the block to give the 7615 a workout. I also needed to try my handloads, as there are about 10 or so different headstamps and with differing case internal volumes, I had to check primers for excessive pressures. I sifted out 2 of every headstamp I had and then ran them through in succession, checking the primers as I went. All had moderate flattening, but they all went through without any issues, so that load will do for SHTF ammo and general plinking/practice. I loaded 5 Hornady steel cases in the factory metal mag and sighted at 25M. Wow, but those things have a hell muzzle flash (and a half). 5 careful shots and I had 3 virtually in the same hole with 2 flyers (my fault), so inherent accuracy is there, now just need to fine tune it. All the mags performed flawlessly and I had a blast (literally) :D .
I LIKE this little gun. It's not a lightweight, but it has a solid feel and I can pump them out almost as fast as a semi auto. Extraction and ejection was very positive and apart from a short stroke at first, ZERO issues.
IMG_20190602_163108_resized_20190605_065339199[6672].jpg
IMG_20190602_163108_resized_20190605_065339199[6672].jpg (409.12 KiB) Viewed 5200 times
Gonna take it to the range and test it properly, sight in the Aimpoint at 50M and go from there. :D :D
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

The Gun Thread

Post by cs_drums »

Assembled the pea shooter, should be fun and cheap haha

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
yikes
Founder
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff

Post by yikes »

Perfect! Super fun with a dueling tree.
Becks_Bronco
Bronco Info: 96 Eddie Bauer, 5.8

Post by Becks_Bronco »

cs_drums wrote:Just patiently waiting on my reciever. VA was so much easier being a gun owner....Image

What's the parts list on this? What barrel is that?

Did you order just the action from Remington?

I'd love to put together a camping gun like this, and have something to teach newbies with to help them get the fundamentals down without having to pull out the "scary" DD M4A1 lol.
Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

Not Remington... Ruger. I don't know anything about guns, just how to shoot lol
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

The Gun Thread

Post by cs_drums »

Brownell receiver and barrel, Titan stock, Ruger internals. I think Brownells is having a sale on there 10/22 stuff right now. I got a email today about it.

AussieRod

Post by AussieRod »

Had a small win tonight. I'd lashed out on one of the Magpul 10 rd restricted Pmagf30's and I picked it up tonight (with other stuff I'd ordered.) It's called the MAG557-10 here, and I sat down to have a close look at how it has been restricted. A press of the follower told me it had a full length spring, so that was promising. The base appeared to have been electronically welded in place, and epoxy had been used to bind the lock plate to the base plate. Next, I put on my readers and inspected the welding on the base. I could see a faint line in the weld, so I scraped around the baseplate and exposed the join:
P1010056.JPG
P1010056.JPG (183.16 KiB) Viewed 5108 times
Encouraged, I carefully used my knife to pry open the front and it popped open enough to show the weld was almost superficial. Up-ending the mag, I rested it on my thigh, took a screwdriver and placed it over the lockplate tab and gave it a rap with pliers. The second hit broke the epoxy bond and the lockplate was free of the base. Taking a deep breath, I placed the back of the mag against the edge of the bench just above the baseplate, and gave it a whack with the pliers, taking care to keep them square to the mag body. Sure enough, the baseplate broke loose. Wooppee!! :D So much for their "electronic welding". :P
Slid off the baseplate and this is what I found:
P1010057.JPG
P1010057.JPG (225.52 KiB) Viewed 5108 times
Epoxy use:
P1010058.JPG
P1010058.JPG (180.83 KiB) Viewed 5108 times
The insert is from Magblock. The lockplate area isn't exactly well made, but does the job. A quick cut with my woodsaw and no more blocker:
P1010059.JPG
P1010059.JPG (337.74 KiB) Viewed 5108 times
I assembled the mag and proceeded to load 30 Hornady Steel case rounds in. All good. Feeding through the 7615 is perfect. I'll need to use a Magpul lockplate, as the Magblock one is too short and allows the base to move back and forth almost an 1/8". Someone in Melbourne is selling M3 Pmag30's for $200 AU, so to get a new 30 rd mag for $75 + postage is the best deal around here in Aus, without an AG permit.
Now, I only bought this one to see if they were able to be unblocked, and it seems to be that it's an easy task, a lot easier than I'd expected. I really want the MAG556-10, with the window, but these were out of stock, so I opted for the non-window version. Once I have 6 Pmag30's, I'll get a few Pmag20's and see if they convert. The 20 rd mag is handier for shooting from prone, so I'll see how they go at a later date.
Later.
AussieRod

Post by AussieRod »

Yesterday (Sunday), I pulled out the gun collection from the safe and did a clean up and check of everything. The dessicant bags are doing a great job of keeping the moisture and rust under control, with no tell tale signs anywhere. Been trying to convince myself to keep the Savage 308, but due to the fragile factory 10 (9) round mag, and the non-availability of a replacement, I'm leaning towards offloading it and use the funds to buy other, more usable longarms. The later version uses the Magpul ACIS mag, but I can't find any info from Savage to see if they fit mine. If they do, I'll keep it, otherwise, it get's the old spanish archer. Trying to decide between another 7615 for a 300 Blackout conversion, or a 7600 Police, as well as a repeating lever shotgun. The old single Stevens I have is tight and reliable, but I really have no use for it, so a Pardus LAX 12 mag feed will suffice to replace the old girl.
After inspecting the family, I was looking at the two pump rifles and the spare Bushnell Trophy 6 - 18 x 50 I have spare and decided to do some swapping around. The black MOE+ grip went back onto the Mesa LEO adaptor and the set-up went onto the 7600, along with the big Bushnell. Well, I should have done this from the get-go. The pistol grip stock set-up works a treat, the rifle coming to my shoulder perfectly, the scope right at my eye length and not so far to reach as with the Remington Sureshot stock. I admit, I wasn't entirely happy with the shape of the Sureshot pistol grip, and the LOP was too long for my liking. Now, it is almost 100% perfect. The wide view of the 50mm Bushy's lense is fantastic, even at short range on 6X and I can fast cycle the pump without any issues. The scope is less than 1/8" from the barrel, keeping it nice and low, and I'm going to sight it in this weekend at the block for 150 gn PPU @100 yds. All it needs now is a slightly thicker butt pad and the Timney sear and spring conversion to improve the trigger let-off.
I put the standard butt from the 7600 onto the 7615 temporarily, until the Mesa high adaptor arrives, along with a new mil-spec tube and nut. The new buttstock will also arrive soon and I've already test fitted the halo sight and the mil-dot 3-9 from the 7600. Higher mounts might be needed for the scope, but it will all be set up and tested once the bits arrive. I'll post up pics next time I have the safe open.
Cheers.
AussieRod

Post by AussieRod »

New addition on order ;)
9ad7cad7-e9f6-4900-895a-141b90c19ea2_large.jpg
9ad7cad7-e9f6-4900-895a-141b90c19ea2_large.jpg (14.57 KiB) Viewed 5000 times
ntsqd
Bronco Info: '70 Early Bronco SuperCab Shortbed Pick-up "Bronc-up" aka "Frank(entruck)", '96 OJB "Blanc-Oh!"

Post by ntsqd »

oh boy!

Just spent a couple of days after finding this thread reading from the beginning. Last post date was Nov. of last year, still alive or gone dormant?
Cross-threaded is tighter than Lock-Tite.
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

Hiding from the gun grabbing government. Gun shops are non essential and close down. And they wonder why we want to be able to buy bulk ammo

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

ntsqd
Bronco Info: '70 Early Bronco SuperCab Shortbed Pick-up "Bronc-up" aka "Frank(entruck)", '96 OJB "Blanc-Oh!"

Post by ntsqd »

Gov. Nuisanse made an interesting comment a month ago or so. He said that people had a right to be able to buy firearms and ammunition during the lock-down and that gun stores should be considered to be essential business'. From an anti-gunner that was a very interesting comment.

Enough of politics. I made an impulse buy. Shame on me. Saw a pic and the guy wanted to sell it so I had to buy it. CZ 455 Varmint Trainer with a Lilja barrel and what appears to be a Manners T4 stock. Image
I added the Bushnell Forge scope & Magpul bipod (really like those!). The scope is an experiment. My normal scope would have been a Leupold, but the budget for the magnification range that I wanted on this rifle wasn't enough to swing a Leupold. Went with the Forge on the advice of a Long Range Comp shooting friend of mine.
It shoots OK, I guess. :) Image
The circled group is my final effort, all of the others are working with the scope and finding how the rifle wanted to be held on the bench. Ammo was CCI Std. Vel. because the PO reported that it shot the best with that. The CZ fanatics on rimfire central all think that I'm wasting my time with such mediocre ammo and that I should try SK and something else to tighten up those groups. At around $1.00 per round (of rimfire!) for some of that stuff I'll be shooting the CCI for while. I didn't tell them that I'll probably shoot Mini-Mags out of it too as I knew that would unnecessarily wind them up.

This is what sucked the budget dry:
Howa 1500 Mini re-barreled by Satern with one of their .224 Valkyrie chambered 1/7 twist 24" SS tubes contoured to my design. MDT chassis, Timney trigger, Vortex 6-20 scope, and another Magpul bipod. Scope mount rail was bedded to the action, rings were lapped, and the action was bedded to the chassis. I use Devcon AL putty for all of my bedding except for pillars. I find it easier to use JB Weld for those.
Cross-threaded is tighter than Lock-Tite.
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

ntsqd wrote:Gov. Nuisanse made an interesting comment a month ago or so. He said that people had a right to be able to buy firearms and ammunition during the lock-down and that gun stores should be considered to be essential business'. From an anti-gunner that was a very interesting comment.

Enough of politics. I made an impulse buy. Shame on me. Saw a pic and the guy wanted to sell it so I had to buy it. CZ 455 Varmint Trainer with a Lilja barrel and what appears to be a Manners T4 stock. Image
I added the Bushnell Forge scope & Magpul bipod (really like those!). The scope is an experiment. My normal scope would have been a Leupold, but the budget for the magnification range that I wanted on this rifle wasn't enough to swing a Leupold. Went with the Forge on the advice of a Long Range Comp shooting friend of mine.
It shoots OK, I guess. :) Image
The circled group is my final effort, all of the others are working with the scope and finding how the rifle wanted to be held on the bench. Ammo was CCI Std. Vel. because the PO reported that it shot the best with that. The CZ fanatics on rimfire central all think that I'm wasting my time with such mediocre ammo and that I should try SK and something else to tighten up those groups. At around $1.00 per round (of rimfire!) for some of that stuff I'll be shooting the CCI for while. I didn't tell them that I'll probably shoot Mini-Mags out of it too as I knew that would unnecessarily wind them up.

This is what sucked the budget dry:
Howa 1500 Mini re-barreled by Satern with one of their .224 Valkyrie chambered 1/7 twist 24" SS tubes contoured to my design. MDT chassis, Timney trigger, Vortex 6-20 scope, and another Magpul bipod. Scope mount rail was bedded to the action, rings were lapped, and the action was bedded to the chassis. I use Devcon AL putty for all of my bedding except for pillars. I find it easier to use JB Weld for those.
I Am with you on the Politics.

I like your Howa, I want to do something similar in .308 Winchester or .338 Lapua Magnum, but I will probably go with the .308 because it is a more common round.

I did pickup my Mom a mother son project. I got us both Glock 27 P80 PF940sc subcompact .40 cal, kits. It's that perfect Covid virus project. Only problem, both of us are still working. Image I will have her come over on the weekend and I can show her how to use the mill. Image She has been wanting to make her own gun for a while after I built my AR and My Glock 22 .40cal.

I did just get another P80 G22 frame and I have a .22 rim fire upper for it for a fun cheap target pistol.

Unfortunately, I still had to work when I was home during the shut down. I was helping all the dumb people get connected remotely, so they could do their jobs. The only issue, I'm a Head Studio Engineer. Double duty as a Network Administrator Image Atleast it's a Job.

I hope you guys are all doing ok. You are in my prayers. I pray you are Happy, healthy, wealthy and wise, oh and have 2 inch groupings always ImageImageImage

Talk to you later.
I have to get back to work.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

Nothing fancy, but i painted some Knights rail covers coyote to match the other tan furniture i have. Just making my workhorse rifle more durable.

AussieRod

Post by AussieRod »

AussieRod wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:13 am
So, my conclusion at the end of the day, I will build a Urban Defence Rifle. I'm going to stick with .308W due to it's ability to overcome barricades and vehicles and more stopping power per shot fired. Sure, .223 will also do the job, but my experiences say otherwise. Planning to source a used 7600 Police, preferably pre Rem-lin or a used 7600 22" bbl and shorten it to 18". My choice is dictated by the fact we can't have any semi-auto rifles here unless we go through a lot of BS paperwork and it's virtually impossible for mere mortals like me anyway. So pump action it is.
Lumley Ordinance adaptor and Magpul FDE fore end
CDW pic rail.
Mesa Tactical High adaptor. (I already have tubes and parts for the stock)
Fab Defense Desert Tan butt and grip (have those already too).
I will try the new Lucky13 10 shot alloy mag and the KKK 10 rd-er as well and decide which I prefer.
Optics will be Bushnell 3 - 9X Mildot and some form of CQB sight, interchangable as required and ammo will be 150gn FMJ or Hornady SST, depending on situation.

If funds allow, I will buy and assemble a 7615 clone to match, except with OD green furniture.
Cheers.
So, I did built Big brother and little brother:
IMG20211025102336.jpg
IMG20211025102336.jpg (44.69 KiB) Viewed 2745 times
I used the Mesa LEO adaptor off the 7615 on the 7600 and fiited the High adaptor to the .223. The machinist at work did the barrel for me after I cut it off. He crowned it with a 1/2" end mill and squared it up. With the Nikko Stirling Blackout scope on top, my FMJ handloaded ammo will easily shoot under an inch at 100 yds. The 7615 with the $28 Halo sight can put 5 shots under 2" at 100 yds. Both of them are loads of fun to shoot, with the .308 having beautiful fireballs with each shot.
My 4 go-to guns:
IMG20211025102546.jpg
IMG20211025102546.jpg (48.78 KiB) Viewed 2745 times
I fitted the #5 barrel to the #4 and used the old ATI butt stock and the Bushnell Trophy 3 -9X Mildot on the Addeley Precision mount. It can shoot 1" at 100yds with Sierra 150 Pro hunters, due to the epoxy bedded fore end. The Boito rounds out the line up (usually loaded with Winchester Defenders in the lower and black Ranger 00 in the top.) I've decided to keep the Savage .308, however I am upgrading to the MDT XRS stock to gain accuracy and get rid of the shit factory rubbish they call a magazine. The Tikka T3x in 300 WSM handles the long range needs.(not shown).
decker
Bronco Info: 1996 5.8/E40d lifted and beat

Post by decker »

Firearms are why my Bronco doesnt have a stage 5 kit. :) Between long range shooting, pistol practice, and silhouette shooting I go through a bunch of ammo. Before the 'vid, I'd go through 1-2k rounds per month.

As far as what I'm shooting, I've got everything from a $7,000 fully custom M40 replica in .338LM down to a box standard 10/22 and a 460V down to a out of the box M&P22 (with the same ergos as my Shield 9mm carry gun), I reach the most for my 10/22 on a magpul stock and xring barrel. It's got 50K+ rounds through the receiver, which is the only thing left!

But I do love my suppressed SBR .300blk AR.