The Gun Thread

DKThree
Bronco Info: None yet

Re: Any IDPA or USPSA shooters here?

Post by DKThree »

damon1272 wrote:Steve,
Stay away from USPSA, idpa, or 3 gun. You will find out how quickly you will piss through money. It is a blast but then you start acquiring stuff fast. The biggest hold back from spending time and money on my Bronco is due to shooting. It is alot of fun and can be humbling, buy quality gear, GOOD sights, and spend some time dry firing and you will have a blast. I personally enjoy ISPSA or 3 gun more than IDPA but to each his own. Prepare to drain your wallet quickly.
Very true...

IDPA is cheap..er

USPSA is more fun but more $

3 gun is AWESOME! But I do have what would buy a nice Bronco wrapped up in 3 gun gear and ammo.

Have fun!
usmcgunrock
Bronco Info: No Bronco, just an Explorer

Post by usmcgunrock »

I enjoy shooting but other then my yearly qual(which is a match course of fire) I don't shoot matches. My dad has been trying to get me to. He even has a rifle for me. Between work and the race program I don't have much free time. So my shooting is out in the hills and going threw shooting drills for work.
Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons
Blueblood

Post by Blueblood »

Get an AR that shoots .22 cost about $500 at big 5 and the ammo
Is super cheap you will have fun- mike
johncharlesb
Bronco Info: 1962 f100, 1995 Bronco

Post by johncharlesb »

Blueblood wrote:Get an AR that shoots .22 cost about $500 at big 5 and the ammo
X2 on cheap rounds at the range. It can get pricey.

One of my friends is big on shooting and we have "matches" using pellet guns. The Crossman 2600 Classic, or 760 depending on vintage, can be a pretty cheap fun. We have offhand, sitting, and quickdraw shooting improvised targets from the recycle bin - good times.
usmcgunrock
Bronco Info: No Bronco, just an Explorer

Post by usmcgunrock »

Well I would like to thank all of you since my ammo is tax payer funded.
Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Blueblood wrote:Get an AR that shoots .22 cost about $500 at big 5 and the ammo
Word on the street is that I'll be able to get a .22 conversion for the M&P 9mm I just bought... I'll probably get one.
johncharlesb wrote:One of my friends is big on shooting and we have "matches" using pellet guns. The Crossman 2600 Classic, or 760 depending on vintage, can be a pretty cheap fun. We have offhand, sitting, and quickdraw shooting improvised targets from the recycle bin - good times.
I have a Crossman 1377 and a "sem-auto" pistol. Both see tons of use when we have company. We have makeshift targets set up about 80 feet away and spend afternoons eating, B.S.'ing and shooting... great times.
usmcgunrock wrote:Well I would like to thank all of you since my ammo is tax payer funded.
You guys deserve all the ammo you want. You're welcome!
Sho nuff,
SteveG
Blueblood

Post by Blueblood »

.22 conv for you m&p should be nice i know you can get them for glocks i have not shot one ( .22 glock) but cheap ammo= fun- mike
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

So the wife and I took a handgun class this morning. We shot 250 rounds (Kelci shot most of them) and enjoyed every minute of it. She got a fair amount of brass in the face and a few down the shirt but laughed it off. I thought she did well considering it was her first time firing anything other than a pellet gun.

The instructor told us to practice, practice, practice... Without hesitation, Kelci says "so we we should go to the range at least once a month?" OK, OK. Twist my arm!

And, yeah, Ive been looking at the 10-22's. I see one in my future but I think I'll be getting something for CCW first. Maybe a baby Glock.

Good times!
Sho nuff,
SteveG
AussieRod
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.

Re: The Gun Thread (Formally-Any IDPA or USPSA shooters here?)

Post by AussieRod »

Steve, I might b e biased here, but buy a CCW with an exposed hammer and a manual safety. It only takes a glance to see if its ready or not. In poor light, a cocked hammer is clearly visible and the manual type safety prevents AD's. I carried a Hi Power for 3 yrs in the army, best handgun Ive ever used in 9mm. The visible hammer and manual safety is a must.
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

AusBroncodoc wrote:Steve, I might b e biased here, but buy a CCW with an exposed hammer and a manual safety. It only takes a glance to see if its ready or not. In poor light, a cocked hammer is clearly visible and the manual type safety prevents AD's. I carried a Hi Power for 3 yrs in the army, best handgun Ive ever used in 9mm. The visible hammer and manual safety is a must.
I carry a Steyr M9A1 which has a small nub that is pushed out on the back of the slide to indicate a bullet in the chamber and has a ambidextrous safety above the trigger. This gun is safe to carry with one in the chamber and it only takes about a second to check if a round is ready to fire and disable the safety... with either hand. I don't have to look at it to do this.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

That looks like a nice gun, Philo. I looked at a few that had external chamber indicators. I liked the physical indicator but they all seemed to have a lot going on. You know me, Mr. Safe & Simple.... The M&P we bought has no external safety. Only a magazine disconnect. I even wondered if I wanted that feature but after taking a look at the mechanism I was OK with it.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
valor100
Bronco Info: 1992 Ford Bronco 5.8 had Pro Comp lift, know it sits on top of Solo 4 over cut and turned TTB's

Post by valor100 »

just a couple of mine. It's a M4 AR 15 style rifle. 5.56mm 223 round. it's a lot of fun to shot. Only thing California only allows for a 10 round clip. Not the thirty round shown in the image.
Attachments
S&W 9mm.jpg
S&W 9mm.jpg (193.55 KiB) Viewed 1163 times
M&P 15.jpg
M&P 15.jpg (222.56 KiB) Viewed 1163 times
STswmp15_122106inset.jpg
STswmp15_122106inset.jpg (102.07 KiB) Viewed 1163 times
Blueblood

Post by Blueblood »

I haven't checked in awhile but you should still be able to
Shoot on USFS land a long as you don't shoot across any roads
if you don't want to pay to go a range- mike
valor100
Bronco Info: 1992 Ford Bronco 5.8 had Pro Comp lift, know it sits on top of Solo 4 over cut and turned TTB's

Post by valor100 »

Blueblood wrote:I haven't checked in awhile but you should still be able to
Shoot on USFS land a long as you don't shoot across any roads
if you don't want to pay to go a range- mike

I know it is still legal to shoot where we go camp in Ocotillo. You have to be on the other side of the railroad tracks and shoot towards the mountain. After some time riding and driving, It's nice to be able to let off a few rounds. I'm also told but don't have any facts on this but out in Wine country somewhere it is legal to shoot too. Just havan't been out that way before and not sure where to go.
flyinbronco
HuckMASTER

Post by flyinbronco »

philofab wrote:
SteveG wrote:I can't think of any time I've ever felt like I needed to carry, but our current sheriff is pro-CCW, so while it's available, I'll probably take the class and get a permit.
Funny, I feel I need my gun every time I'm in Torrance/Long Beach/Surrounding area and when in Stockton.

When were you in Stockton and why didn't you call me?

Yeah Stockton is a sh#t hole. I don't go out after dark. :lol:
Proud member of Moss Brothers Racing Score class 3 Champions
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

valor100 wrote:just a couple of mine. It's a M4 AR 15 style rifle. 5.56mm 223 round. it's a lot of fun to shot. Only thing California only allows for a 10 round clip. Not the thirty round shown in the image.
An M&P man, huh? The M&P15-22 seems like a cool rifle.
flyinbronco wrote:
philofab wrote:
SteveG wrote:I can't think of any time I've ever felt like I needed to carry, but our current sheriff is pro-CCW, so while it's available, I'll probably take the class and get a permit.
Funny, I feel I need my gun every time I'm in Torrance/Long Beach/Surrounding area and when in Stockton.

When were you in Stockton and why didn't you call me?

Yeah Stockton is a sh#t hole. I don't go out after dark. :lol:
It's not Stockton, but it's getting close... When we were in Antioch, there were definitely some places where having a gun would have been a good idea. What's funny is, my brothers and I were talking to a cop one evening and telling him where we picked up pizza and beer for dinner that night. He looked down and shook his head... said, "Yeah, don't go back there. Go to Straw Hat on blah blah street. It's more money but you'll come back alive."
Sho nuff,
SteveG
flyinbronco
HuckMASTER

Post by flyinbronco »

Proud member of Moss Brothers Racing Score class 3 Champions
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

flyinbronco wrote:http://www.kimberamerica.com/1911/ultra ... a-carry-ii

Here's what I'm saving up for.
25oz unloaded... nice. I like it.

I say we all get together and have a good old fashioned gun fight!
Sho nuff,
SteveG
valor100

Post by valor100 »

Have you had a chance to shoot one. Just wondering if it has a bit of a hit when fired. I like it!
Bondobob
Bronco Info: 1987 XLT 5.0 in the family since new in May of 1987

Post by Bondobob »

Ok you and the wife need to make a semi-valley trip (west side)and shoot in afew of the places we can still outdoor shoot. I can bring a few fun toys. I have a cool mod'd 10-22 that is a hoot and very cheap to shoot 1-1.5" groups at 90-100 yards
"And God bless the United States of America!"
Elwood Blues -1980