The Gun Thread

Blueblood

Re: The Gun Thread (Formally-Any IDPA or USPSA shooters here?)

Post by Blueblood »

Five dog is a fun place to shoot in the valley if it's still open
but it's kinda of a long drive from bako i haven't been there
in years- mike
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Bondobob wrote:Ok you and the wife need to make a semi-valley trip (west side)and shoot in afew of the places we can still outdoor shoot. I can bring a few fun toys. I have a cool mod'd 10-22 that is a hoot and very cheap to shoot 1-1.5" groups at 90-100 yards
Sounds good to me.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

As I said earlier, I'm going to apply for a CCW permit. You have to apply for and qualify with the specific guns you wish to carry. If you want to add another gun later, you need to qualify with that one as well. In other words, this is a great excuse for me to get another handgun. I can't carry a gun with me and leave my wife at home with no protection! So, I did some more shopping over the weekend. Again, I really wanted to like the Glocks. On paper, the subcompacts are great and seem to fit the bill. But, in reality and in the hand, the M&P just feels so much better. So far the only Glock I've really liked the feel of was a G17 with a heavily modified grip and I'm not quite ready to start filing and stippling.... I think I'm going to end up with the compact version of what I already have.
mp9c.jpg
mp9c.jpg (41.75 KiB) Viewed 1271 times
Sho nuff,
SteveG
Silverslk
Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Baur Bronco......GONE to a better home

Re: The Gun Thread

Post by Silverslk »

I loved my Glock but only with the Pachmayr grips on it. Otherwise it felt too flat in my hand.
SteveG wrote:The point? It's amazing these front ends go down the road straight in any form! The TTB is brute. A broad sword and not a scalpel. That's why I love it!
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

Silverslk wrote:I loved my Glock but only with the Pachmayr grips on it. Otherwise it felt too flat in my hand.
When I hold Glocks, I can distinctly feel the right front corner of the grip. I'm sure I would get used to it, but when I hold the M&P it immediately makes sweet, sweet love to my hand.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
guard
Bronco Info: 1996 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by guard »

I'm more of a shotgun guy, grew up shooting skeet and sporting clays in local and state competitions. Since I live in Anaheim currently and am not in government service, a California CCW is just a wishful item. I do have non-resident CCW's from both Florida and Arizona, which are recognized in many other states (not CA). At any rate, I've had multiple handguns but after several trips to a few different gun shops (several years back) and wrapping my hand around every gun I saw, I made a decision on one single handgun to represent me. My shotgun gloves are men's medium (not large), these grips feel like they were built just for me. For exactly what I wanted it was a 5 month special order process from the Sigarms custom shop... Anyway, I was happy with the outcome! Since then I've sold all my other handguns (H&K's and baby eagle) so there's only one I need to keep track of. It's a concealed carry handgun, I only practice semi-regularly. This is part of my "exit plan".

Sigarms P239 SAS custom 9mm (single stack)

Last edited by guard on Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

That looks like a great gun for CCW, Guard.

Maybe some of you ammo-savvy members can shed some light on the following for me.

Walmart sells cheap ammo for about $20/box of 100. "Remanufactured" ammo seems to be within one or two cents of that. Sooo, why bother with remanufactured ammo?
Sho nuff,
SteveG
1450ranger
Bronco Info: Ranger Prerunner Only

Post by 1450ranger »

I carry a .40 Sub-Compact GLOCK concealed and I feel its a great gun to carry concealed; night sights, double stack, full size caliber and reliable. The grip extension made a big difference in grip and added 2 rounds. The only times its tough to carry concealed is the T-short and shorts days.
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

1450ranger wrote:I carry a .40 Sub-Compact GLOCK concealed and I feel its a great gun to carry concealed; night sights, double stack, full size caliber and reliable. The grip extension made a big difference in grip and added 2 rounds. The only times its tough to carry concealed is the T-short and shorts days.
Very nice. I like the dimensions of the sub-compact Glocks but like the feel of the compact M&P. In size, it's somewhere between the G19/23 and the G26/27. And, to me, feels better in the hand.

How do you carry it? What type of holster?
Sho nuff,
SteveG
1450ranger
Bronco Info: Ranger Prerunner Only

Post by 1450ranger »

In the waistband holster that has a J-clip.
DKThree
Bronco Info: None yet

Post by DKThree »

Having large hands, I'm not much of a fan of the G26 or 27. I do really like the G36 however as it is fairly slim and compact but fills my hand much better than the small frame subs. There is the argument of using compact mags in the subcompact guns but then again, it becomes the same size above the belt line as a compact.

On a side note, a guy at a range I frequent has been doing a personal torture test on an M&P and is up to about 6k rounds without cleaning and no hiccups.
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

The Crosman 1377 got it's first blood today. I picked off a field mouse that had been taunting me while I cleaned up the brush and wood pile it was living in. Still no luck with the damn gophers, though.
Attachments
IMAG0005.jpg
IMAG0005.jpg (94.58 KiB) Viewed 1132 times
Sho nuff,
SteveG
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

Well it looks like the RC car will have to wait for its speed controller and motor.... I bought a compact M&P 9 today... pick it up in a week and a half.

The shop had a barely used G26 that I really wanted to buy but I just couldn't get past the comfort of the M&P. Now My ful size has a smaller sibling!
Sho nuff,
SteveG
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

So now I've got a 22 on the radar... got two at the top of the want list. M&P 15-22 & Ruger 10 22 takedown....
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1337314573406.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1337314573406.jpg (24.58 KiB) Viewed 1028 times
uploadfromtaptalk1337314537415.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1337314537415.jpg (8.54 KiB) Viewed 1028 times
Sho nuff,
SteveG
economig
Bronco Info: 1994 Eddie Bauer 5.8L

The Gun Thread

Post by economig »

SteveG wrote:So now I've got a 22 on the radar... got two at the top of the want list. M&P 15-22 & Ruger 10 22 takedown....
Like and L I K E ! ha ha

Never fails, every time we go shooting with fam & friends, the 22's gets the most use in the long run. Simple and fun... New shooters aren't scared of 'em and experienced shooters still enjoy target shooting with them. Always a good investment. m&p looks really cool. Just read some more about it. Gonna watch a couple videos when i get a minute
T H R E A T Motorsports
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

Both are getting raving reviews. I really like how compact the Takedown packs but the M&P is just freaking cool! The good news is I don't think I could regret buying either.

I'm thinking one of the above combined with some Varmint Grenade ammo and tomatoes for targets = GOOD TIMES!
Sho nuff,
SteveG
damon1272

Post by damon1272 »

Steve,
The ruger is a great rifle but the S&W is just plain fun and it too is a take down. I own both and the ruger never leaves the safe. Pop the two pins on the S&W and it is a instant take down rifle.
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

damon1272 wrote:Steve,
The ruger is a great rifle but the S&W is just plain fun and it too is a take down. I own both and the ruger never leaves the safe. Pop the two pins on the S&W and it is a instant take down rifle.
Interesting. I didn't know that about the M&P. Are tools required?
Sho nuff,
SteveG
damon1272

Post by damon1272 »

No tools required. The M&P breaks down just like an AR. The pins are captured. The upper is then pulled off the lower. The bolt assembly can slide out but use a rubber band for retention or a piece of tape on the upper. Like I said I have both and the 15/22 is way more fun.
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

Good to know. It was already edging out the 10-22. That seals the deal.

Thanks!
Sho nuff,
SteveG