The Gun Thread

yikes
Founder
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff

Re: The Gun Thread

Post by yikes »

PaleRider wrote:Have you Thought of Winchester.300?
Sorry, missed this. Yes! and here's why I selected the 308. The 300 win mag, although superior in ballistics to the 308, is much more expensive in general. I considered 6.5 Creedmoor as well, but I feel like it's more of a target round and again, much more costly. The 308/7.62 is everywhere and will be for some time. FMJ reloads can be purchased for as low as .051/rd for plinking and at the other end of the spectrum, there are bullets available at around $1.30/rd with ballistic coefficients pushing .650 that will reach out to 1500 yds without going subsonic; which competes with the 6.5's. My ultimate goal will be to hit steel at 1 mile. There's certainly a lot to learn before that will happen. All said, it's a great all around performer that fits my range and budget objectives.
PaleRider
Bronco Info: 1994 Bronco with aftermarket lift, BroncoAir bumpers

The Gun Thread

Post by PaleRider »

Great argument for the 308. What glass are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PaleRider
Bronco Info: 1994 Bronco with aftermarket lift, BroncoAir bumpers

The Gun Thread

Post by PaleRider »

Great argument for the 308. What glass are you using?

yikes
Founder

Post by yikes »

PaleRider wrote:Great argument for the 308. What glass are you using?
The Vortex Viper HS-T SFP 6-24 x 50. It's certainly not optimal for long range shooting, but again, it was a budget based decision. FFP scopes are expensive. I originally ordered the PST, but it was backordered and the illuminated retical was not a necessity.
THEJESUS
Bronco Info: WHITE 1992 BRONCO XLT w/ 4" LIFT ON 35" TOYO OPEN COUNTRY'S

The Gun Thread

Post by THEJESUS »

Made up some hex mag skins for my magazine. I have about 15 left I will sell if anyone wants one I'll be making other designs soon. Depending how it goes.

Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

The Gun Thread

Post by Wrightracing.net »

Looks cool Jesus. I like the FDE.

My new Christmas toy is FDE. I just got in my
Spectre Glock 80% kit with all my lower parts
To do the build. I already have a .40 cal slide and a
.22lr upper conversion for the Glock lower.

David...
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Interesting! Details?
Sho nuff,
SteveG
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

It is a Polymer Glock 17 9mm or 22, .40SW lower. It is made by Polymer 80.
They had a sale on them before Christmas for $99 with free shipping. They are back up to $150 now.
They come with a jig and tooling to finish the lower. It can be finished with a drill press or a hand drill,
But for a better result, a vertical mill is the best way to finish it. I have a small mill that I have used to
Make an AR15 and will use it for this build also.

I have two upper slides for my new lower. One is a OEM Glock 22, .40 Cal complete slide, I got on Ebay
For cheap. I also picked up a .22LR slide kit, that also fits on the same lower with magazines specifically
for .22LR ammunition. I plan on using a Green laser sight-flash light sight on the rail. The .40 call slide has night sites and
I am thinking of rounding off the grip a little below the tail, but we will see after I shoot it.

I don't have to, but I will be adding a personal Serial Number on the home built lower. It is a percussion, just
In case the gun is ever stolen an can be identified. I am going to have it Laser ingraved before it is finished as a firearm.
I will post some pictures when finished.

David...
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Very cool. Thanks for the info.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
THEJESUS

Post by THEJESUS »

Nice! I been wanting to do a 80% Glock build. Can't wait to see what the finished product will look like!
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough!
yikes
Founder

Post by yikes »

Love those hex mags!

Heading out to Lytle Creek to sight-in with the new scope mount in the morning if anyone is interested.

THEJESUS

Post by THEJESUS »

Yikes If you would like one DM me I have about 15 still i'll sell for about $10 shipped
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough!
Wrightracing.net

The Gun Thread

It's Christmas on Monday and the mail man is Santa.

I just go in my new OD Green 16" Keymod Rail.
It is going on my new 16" 5.56/.223 upper.

David...
yikes
Founder

Post by yikes »

That rail looks light!
yikes
Founder

Post by yikes »

Thoughts: Shooting has become a form of stress release. Not in a Rambo way, as you might think. It's more similar to riding a bike through mountain single track for 20 miles on a weekend. All worries and cares just dissipate. I can return home, kick back, have a couple beers and just be content that I'm alive. Not sure why that is, but it is. Unlike the Bronco, where after returning home from a great trip there's rattles and vibration and all sorts of maintenance to do before the next trip that stresses me and my wallet. The adrenaline spikes were great, but coming down off the high? Not so much. Yeah, guns have to be maintained as well, but it doesn't require long hours on the concrete and even if it's a 338 or bigger, it doesn't eat as much as the Bronco. Quite honestly however, the best days do revolve around the big three. Broncos, bullets and beer. Typically in that order. Why? Because after a good shoot and a beer, I don't care that the ol' Bronco is about to fall apart. Hahaha!
Wrightracing.net

Well said yikes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
XTate
Bronco Info: 95 Bronco stock not for long

Post by XTate »

All of the big three, Broncos, bullets and beer , are essential to creating Space, room, freedom to getting your mind right, to be happy in your own skin, to be a man and bond with other men.
yikes
Founder

Post by yikes »

Finally got a true 100 yard zero on the 308. Set up the 8" AR500 at 330 yards, dialed up 21 clicks and nailed it first shot and every shot after. Super excited. Can't wait to stretch this thing out and see what it can do. Just need to find a place to get out 500+ yards that isn't hours away.
yikes
Founder

Post by yikes »

Oh! ...and the Bourbon County stout was amazing after the session. Relaxing and cleaning the rifles now. Life is good! What's better? Gave the Bronco a workout in the mud and bumps just getting out there. What a mess, hahaha! Hard cases are definitely worth it for that part of the trifecta!
yikes
Founder

Post by yikes »

First time shooting long with the Savage. Found an amazing spot to shoot. 14" target was set at 963yds. Shot one was good on elevation, but about 18" left. Wind was moving all over the place. Took a few to get a on, but once it was dialed all 5 guys in my group got hits. Such an amazing time. Lot's of smiles. This rifle is much more precise than I am accurate for sure. Can't wait to stretch it out more. More of a challenge to find spots than I thought it would be.

Wind was blowing the silt all over the place....gun got really dirty.