ford CARB legal crate motor

mobil1syn
Bronco Info: 1996 - operation mijo hauler

ford CARB legal crate motor

Post by mobil1syn »

ford really needs to make this a CARB legal crate motor for the 1/2 ton GVWR.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/engines/#godzilla
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Re: ford CARB legal crate motor

Post by Wrightracing.net »

I like the Idea of that engine with the 10 speed transmission in my Bronco.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

Or you need to figure out how to register a modified Bronco/pickup that does no have a CARB legal motor.
Sure enough it is being done.
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

Ha ha, my Bronco is going to be Registered as a 1972, so I think I am good

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

mobil1syn

Post by mobil1syn »

PaulW wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:13 am
Or you need to figure out how to register a modified Bronco/pickup that does no have a CARB legal motor.
Sure enough it is being done.
there are plenty of ways around the emission side of things, but they take time and not every paper pusher is aware of the rules, which means arguing and taking up more of my time. if FORD offered an engine swap kit with the CARB EO then there is no argument. meet the requirements, get sticker, be on my merry way. gm had a CARB legal 5.3 for GVWR up to 7200lbs but discontinued it. the current selction of ERODs are only good for up to a GVWR of 5700lbs.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

mobil1syn wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:10 pm
there are plenty of ways around the emission side of things, but they take time and not every paper pusher is aware of the rules, which means arguing and taking up more of my time. if FORD offered an engine swap kit with the CARB EO then there is no argument. meet the requirements, get sticker, be on my merry way. gm had a CARB legal 5.3 for GVWR up to 7200lbs but discontinued it. the current selction of ERODs are only good for up to a GVWR of 5700lbs.
Random, but it seems you have some knowledge here, so I'll ask. Do you know what GVRW the LS3 Erod chevy motor is good to? This whole motor having to be same class or GVRW thing is frustrating. I used to know the smog rules, but everything has changed so much in the last 15+ years. When I put the supercharged 3.8L Ford in my ranger back in 2001 or so none of this same vehicle class BS existed. I'd now love to shove a 5.3L LS in a 1st gen exploder but I don't think I can.

And yes, as you mention the work of trying to work through/around the alternate registration procedures are annoying and super time consuming. As it was when I tried to smog my ranger I'd get sent to a BAR referee just for a basic, annual smog as none of the regular smog guys wanted to touch it with the CARB sticker on it. Sounds like some of that fear of the CARB sticker is going away, but maybe not enough.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
mobil1syn

Post by mobil1syn »

Attachments
erod.jpg
erod.jpg (321.4 KiB) Viewed 3542 times
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Thank you! I thought the EROD was good, but hadn't found confirming info yet. I really want a cheap swap, meaning a junkyard LS series I swap in, but it seems like that's a no go from what I've been reading due to it not coming in a light enough vehicle that is comparable to the 1st gen exploder. Found something on the EROD and it seemed good - so thanks for verifying that. Now just to get over the sticker shock of the thing lol...
mobil1syn

Post by mobil1syn »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:19 pm
Thank you! I thought the EROD was good, but hadn't found confirming info yet. I really want a cheap swap, meaning a junkyard LS series I swap in, but it seems like that's a no go from what I've been reading due to it not coming in a light enough vehicle that is comparable to the 1st gen exploder. Found something on the EROD and it seemed good - so thanks for verifying that. Now just to get over the sticker shock of the thing lol...
if you wanted to try the junkyard angle, h3 alpha and trailblazer SS might be the ticket.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Awesome - thanks. I was racking my brain trying to think what would have come with a v8 in the smaller package. I Thought of the S-10 typhoon, but that's a truck. This while "same platform, same GVWR" BS kills a lot of the fun.
mobil1syn

Post by mobil1syn »

ooh and colorados as well.
24hours
Bronco Info: looking for a white, ex-police 5.8 with brown interior (Found!) 1996, 5.8 XL

Post by 24hours »

GMC cyclone too.
24hours
Bronco Info: looking for a white, ex-police 5.8 with brown interior (Found!) 1996, 5.8 XL

Post by 24hours »

Nevermind. The cyclone and typhoon both had v6’s.
24hours

Post by 24hours »

No edit sucks. Chasetruck can’t you swap in a V8 into a first Gen Explorer since the second Gen Explorers had the v-8 option?
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

I'd want an LS series, not the 302 that came in the 2nd gen. With the way the current rules were reading I wasn't sure that was possible as the motor being used for the swap has to come from a vehicle in the same class and weight / same GVWR.
mobil1syn

Post by mobil1syn »

24hours wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:20 pm
No edit sucks. Chasetruck can’t you swap in a V8 into a first Gen Explorer since the second Gen Explorers had the v-8 option?
buddy had one of those in his exploder and it was not impressive and had almost no aftermarket support
24hours

Post by 24hours »

Gotcha