Memorial Day thoughts

BajaF250
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250

Memorial Day thoughts

Post by BajaF250 »

All,

It's been a really long time since I've been on the board... but with Memorial Day approaching, I thought I'd provide some discussion for us all to ponder.

Throughout our nation's history, our service members have answered the call to protect and preserve the liberty and values we hold dear. Sometimes that call meant making the ultimate sacrifice for our country, during peace and war. The sheer scale of loss is sobering, but individual sacrifice can't be captured in numbers.

Nor can we measure the dedication of a young soldier preparing to spring from a trench into a hail of fire; or of a corpsman shielding a fallen comrade from a storm of bullets on a distant landing zone. We can't measure what it takes to charge into a raging flight deck fire or flooded compartment to rescue trapped shipmates. We can't measure the commitment required to keep fighting through a steaming jungle, scorching desert, or freezing mountain pass for weeks and months on end. We can't measure a single loss of father, mother, son or daughter to family left behind. We can't measure the loss of great Americans to their communities and to their nation.

None of these things can we measure, but we can remember, and honor those who have died while serving our nation.

As everyone gathers together with family and friends for the unofficial start of summer, please take a moment to honor those who have honored us with their sacrifice.
yikes
Founder
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff

Re: Memorial Day thoughts

Post by yikes »

Thank you Tom. It is always humbling to read your words of selfless patriotism and appreciation for those who have sacrificed to give us all that we so thoughtlessly enjoy in this still great country today. We all need to take time, if only in our quiet thoughts, to consider these sacrifices and give thanks. Many paid the ultimate price for that blank check they wrote when they made the decision to serve. A price that the majority of our people were not, or are not willing to pay. Thank you to all of our nations veterans, from today and throughout history... and thank you Tom for your dedication in continuing to serve this great nation.

United States of America...you don't have to like it, but you don't have to live here either. Freedom isn't free.
dtbback
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Post by dtbback »

X2
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Tom, I can't tell you how grew it is to see you here again. Things are not the same in your absence. Thank you for your post. I don't have time to post what I want at the moment but will absolutely keep the root of Memorial Day in my thoughts the entire weekend. My family will do its part to honor those that have given all for our freedoms. In my family, their sacrifices are not taken for granted.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

I agree with all. Great to have you back and as always humbling words that make us think.
robertcrav
Let me google that for you
Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies

Post by robertcrav »

X4 Thank you to all of those friends, family and servicemen/women that paid the ultimate price for our freedoms and liberties. You are not forgotten by so many of us.

Tom it is great to see you back
Randyg12
Bronco Info: I have a ford ranger, looking to upgrade to a bronco

Memorial Day thoughts

Post by Randyg12 »

Memorial Day hit me hard due to recent events. Vengeance 01, the uh-1y (Huey) that went down in Nepal. I was with Hmla-469 "Vengeance" for 4 years as a Ordnanceman. One of the crew chiefs on that flight I worked with. Even with humanitarian aid, the job is still dangerous.

During my time in the USMC, we lost 8 Marines in non combat operations. The memory of them will never leave my thoughts.

Thank you to whoever has served, is serving, and those willing to serve.
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

As we have for the past several years, the family and I spent Saturday morning placing flags at veteran tombstones. Every year, after we finish, we look across the cemetery and are amazed at how many service men and women lay rest there. Granted, not all of them died while in active duty. In fact, some lived long, and hopefully, full lives. Regardless, I imagine most of them carried the experiences, lessons and losses with them their whole lives. It's my family's pleasure, honor and duty to honor them now that they've passed.

In the past year or so, I've gotten to know more veterans and have participated in a few events that give a taste of what it's like to train and depend on another in trying times. Truly, they have been humbling and inspiring experiences. While my appreciation for what those that serve has always been great, these experiences and the people I've met along the way have given me some insight and new perspectives for so many things. The physical, metal and emotional hardships these men and women endure are unbelievable. While those that have made the ultimate sacrifice are now at rest, the surviving family carries the burdens. So, let's honor their memories and live life to it's fullest, with friends and family, enjoying the freedoms their sacrifice has afforded us.

What say you, GFB? How will you honor the men and women this Memorial Day is for?
BajaF250
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250

Post by BajaF250 »

Hey Steve,
Thanks for teaching your children the meaning of a nation. The commitment we all must make, in one way or another, to make a nation great. I went out to Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery yesterday. I drive by many times a week, but occasionally I will detour and drive into and walk among the headstones. I have been associated with the military all my life and it still sends chills down my spine realizing just the depth of sacrifices made. During armed conflict or not, it is irrelevant. Steve, you teach your children well. Thank you.
SteveG
Admin

Memorial Day thoughts

Post by SteveG »

Of course, Memorial Day and other similar holidays are designed to give us the opportunity to stop and appreciate what others have sacrificed on our behalf. I really do feel it's my duty to make sure my children know the importance of such holidays. I also feel, however, it's my duty to really enjoy such holidays. To me, it feels like such a waste and, really, a disservice and maybe so much as disrespect to not take the opportunity to enjoy our holidays. Today was no exception. Our Memorial Day was one filled with family, good friends, hiking, teamwork, reflection, guns, drinks and just plain good times. Thank you to those that have made this, all our holidays and freedoms possible. I promise that in my family and those dear to me, your gift to the U.S. and the world will NOT be forgotten.

While this may be off-topic, here is a small portion of our Memorial Day Celebration: On our hike, I gave the kids a challenge they willingly accepted. Hike back to the car, carrying a team weight (a 15lb kettle bell) in under 30 minutes with zero help and be rewarded with ice cream. Fail to to make it in 30 and do 10 burpees for every minute over the time.... Nearing the end, my youngest daughter yells , "Ice!" The other two kiddos immediately respond, "Cream!" They rinse and repeat, hustling to the end of the trail, beating their time hack by over 5 minutes. Again, I may be way off base with this, but I feel our Memorial Day was all it was intended to be. A day of remembrance, reflection and of enjoying the things so many have laid down their lives for. I hope everyone else's Memorial Day was just as good. And if it wasn't. get up tomorrow and make up for it!
Teamwork1.jpg