Bishop to Bodie

Races, meets, etc
Becks_Bronco
Bronco Info: 96 Eddie Bauer, 5.8

Re: Bishop to Bodie

Post by Becks_Bronco »

Most definitely still on! My brother is coming down from WA for this, so he and i will be there regardless.
yikes
Founder
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff

Post by yikes »

Greg has unfortunately had to bow out for this trip, which means we will reschedule, because this is definitely worth doing. I still plan to head up there if you guys are down for it and I can take you to Coyote flats to camp. We can hit some trails, do some fishing and possibly work on a day trip to Wheeler Crest. Let me know what you think and lets make something happen.
HotRod82
Bronco Info: 99 Explorer -Dixon Front, Giant 64 rear.

Post by HotRod82 »

Buck and I are committed to going, are you still looking at the same timeline Brian? Arrive Thursday PM and hit the trail early Friday OR will we drive up Friday and hit the trail later? As far as agenda goes, I'm open to anything as it will all be new to me. Last, are we still planning on camping both Friday and Saturday?
yikes
Founder

Post by yikes »

Meet Thursday afternoon. If early enough, we can head up to Coyote flats and set up camp Thursday night. Otherwise we can stay in Bishop for the night and head up first thing Friday. Camp Friday and Saturday night. There's a nice area at Baker Creek to set up at, or we can explore some other options.
yikes
Founder

Post by yikes »

BTW - I spoke with Greg about parking trailers and such. He offered up his property in Bishop, so that should be covered. He can't make the full trip, but he is planning to meet up with us one day.
yikes
Founder

Post by yikes »

I booked a room at the Vagabond in Bishop for Thursday night. If anyone else needs a room Thursday, I suggest you book it asap, as Bishop fills up quick in the Summer.
HotRod82

Post by HotRod82 »

yikes wrote:BTW - I spoke with Greg about parking trailers and such. He offered up his property in Bishop, so that should be covered. He can't make the full trip, but he is planning to meet up with us one day.
That would be great, I'd hate to park my rig on the street unattended for two days. Does that area require any additional stamps on your fishing license or does the basic CA fishing license cover it? I haven't fresh water fished in forever!
yikes
Founder

Post by yikes »

No stamps required. If you're willing to hike over some boulders for a 1/4 mile there's a great little lake to fish at.
bajabuck
Bronco Info: 87 Bronco with some Autofab parts held on with bailing wire and duct tape

Post by bajabuck »

Looking forward to this trip. Hey Brian is this the place you went summer 2014?
yikes
Founder

Post by yikes »

bajabuck wrote:Looking forward to this trip. Hey Brian is this the place you went summer 2014?
Yes....and many other times since 1975.
Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

I'm still in for sure! We'll plan on meeting up Thursday afternoon, and camping Thursday night, Friday night and Saturday night.
Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

Brian, shoot me a text when you see this, 714-369-5957
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Does someone want to give me details on this and I'll update the first post?
Sho nuff,
SteveG
Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

Yikes and I were planning to meet in Bishop around noon Thursday
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Any Thursday in particular?
Sho nuff,
SteveG
HotRod82

Post by HotRod82 »

SteveG wrote:Any Thursday in particular?
This coming Thursday the 16th.....
yikes
Founder

Post by yikes »

SteveG wrote:Any Thursday in particular?
Thursday the 16th we'll meet up in Bishop around noon to early afternoon. Fill up with gas, grab a fire permit at the ranger station, ice, Schat's and any other essentials...like browsing some of the bad-ass tackle shops in town. Camp up on Coyote flats is anywhere from 17-22 miles off-road, depending on where we decide to set up. Some of it is slow due to rocky terrain, so it could take a couple hours to get there. Funny that we used to do it in 4hrs back in the day. Times have changed for sure. Low range will be beneficial in spots to keep trans temps under control and make it easier to navigate rocks into Funnel Lake. I smoked my trans coming up the hill one year due to steep switchbacks, heavy right foot and no horsepower. Anyway, need to head up early enough to find and set up camp before sundown. Will likely still be quite cold in the evenings with the snow pack just above us on the peaks. Bring warm gear. Camp is at or above 10,000ft.

Plan to monitor Kaveman frequency 154.625 (61 on Maratrac) and BFG Relay 151.715 (6 on Maratrac) as a secondary.
yikes
Founder

Post by yikes »

Just a heads up for everyone - Night time temperatures will likely be in the mid to low 30's. They could possibly dip into the 20's, depending on how much snow pack remains at the peaks. Remember, we're camping above at or around 10k ft.
Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

roger roger. See you guys tomorrow!
Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

Also, planning on being fully self sufficient after leaving town Thursday afternoon. Not planning to run down the hill for anything, but we can.