ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Re: KOH 2016

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

53688 Pioneertown Rd, Pioneertown, CA 92268
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
1Hondalover
Bronco Info: Having so much fun with friends in Baja, we're not sure if we want to race NORRA.....

Post by 1Hondalover »

Back at P Town in a warm room getting ready for more Pappy & Harriets grub and a show tonight. Great to feast with the GFB crew last night and see eveyone on course this morning. Can't wait to see the pics.

We flat hammered (no pun intended) Jim & Paiges Bronco today. All working perfectly as we raced back and forth across the valley between viewing spots. Damn it's working good. Hope everyone had a fantastic KOH day today.
dtbback
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Post by dtbback »

Spotted a herd of Broncos this morning at race marker 69.5. I had a great time meeting everyone. A big thank you to Nick for some loner tools and some zip ties when I needed to secure stuff down.
20160205_101131-1600x900.jpg
20160205_101131-1600x900.jpg (286.75 KiB) Viewed 786 times
robertcrav
Let me google that for you
Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies

Post by robertcrav »

There's a bunch of pics and video, terrestrial and drone on fb...if you are on find us so we can tag everyone
Nick
Founder
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target

Post by Nick »

It was great to see you all!
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
BajaF250
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250

Post by BajaF250 »

It sure was great to see everyone and catch up. Dinner at Pappy and Harriet's was awesome... the Rib eye steak was out of this world... I think we had 26 or 27 people all crowded around two tables. Nate, David and Chris showed from BFG which was a real treat, what fantastic folks!

A big thanks to Nick and Brian for ferrying Jules and me to dinner in Pioneertown. It was nice to catch up!
robertcrav
Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies

Post by robertcrav »

My first KOH

Forgive the essay...I can't thank all of the guys that helped me out, trying to get my truck running again enough...Nick, Brian, Will Beck for picking up a fuel pump, Will Dtbback for wrenching so hard he got a bloody nose, Tony, Dale, Rob (hope he joins GFB), Ryan...and I apologize if I didn't individually call anyone out...but this group, the GFB community is truly awesome...

After dinner, and following Nick and Brian dropping off Tom and Lucy at their trailer, we were trying to locate camp, in the pitch black middle of the lake bed. My fault for not confirming radio channels before leaving the restaurant, but as we are zigzagging, Nick stops for a second and then takes off....my truck dies. I try to flash lights at him, scan radio channels...he's gone. At this point in the night it felt like it was well into the 30s, my son was thankfully asleep in his seat, truck would turn over but wouldn't start.

Thankfully after what was probably 1/2 hr a couple of Jeep guys stopped and checked on me...pulled me closer to their camp and had enough cell reception to get ahold of Brian and Nick.

Will Beck offered to pick up a fuel pump on the way in, as we couldn't hear it prime and determined it had probably failed...after watching some racing we start to tear into a pump swap in camp on the lake bed...would've been easier if I had an access panel (if you ever drop your tank, cut the panel, you will thank yourself later)...and literally everyone offered help in some way, either wrenching, handing tools, safety glasses, suggestions, advice...truly humbled...we took out what looked like the original pump and nasty/dirty filter, and got it put all back together...but still no start. We check the fuses and try to find the fuel pump relay, and I notice a 30 amp maxi fuse that's black/blown. Looking in the manual, it's for the fuel pump relay and power train control module. No one had the giant maxi fuses so Dtbback and I rigged up little jumpers with some wire and spade connectors so we could try a standard fuse. Truck fires!! Joy! Truck idles...I put the truck in gear to move it closer to camp and it immediately dies again...wtf...Nick and Will Beck run into hammertown and find Steve G to see if he has fuses, they return with a badass, heat shrinked jumper and a bag of fuses...we try another fuse and it pops..disgusted and ready to use my truck for firewood we eat and I head to sleep...angry. AM comes and we put another fuse in it and it pops immediately.

Nick shuttles Jacob and I to find a blue spaceship, and we come back to find Brian had my hood up and tarp underneath wiping his hands as he calls me a summama bisch as he located the short....a chassis harness running inside the driver side framerail had fallen into contact with the front driveshaft yoke and worn thru the shielding exposing 2 wires...damn!!! With cold hands and Brian's electrical tape I get the exposed wires wrapped, covered and zip tied out of the way...replace the fuse again, she fires....revs...blows ice out the side exhaust....humbled...then we packed up camp a bit and headed out to explore, go fast and check out some of the obstacles we missed on race day.

I'm humbled by the experience as it has reinforced how great our community is, taught me that I need to verify radio channels before heading into the dark, to carry a few more tools in my bags, I need to cut the access panel, I need to pick up a bunch of maxi fuses, and always look for the simple root cause...

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you
1Hondalover
Bronco Info: Having so much fun with friends in Baja, we're not sure if we want to race NORRA.....

Post by 1Hondalover »

Sorry you had to go through this Robert. I hate the story as such, but at the same time love it because of the GFB team effort and support part. Let's use this experience to tell everyone who hasn't already, that they need to cut a fuel pump access panel BEFORE it comes time to change a pump. Seems like they never fail near home and tools.....obviously wasn't your root cause though.

The best part of the story is Yikes with the hood up on your return. The guy just goes for it. We've seen him tear into a hub at Huckfest without blinking an eye. He obviously knows the Bronco well. Brian you're an animal.

Glad everything turned out OK.
Cactus Cooler
Bronco Info: 90 Bronco EB EDITION

Re:

Post by Cactus Cooler »

robertcrav wrote:My first KOH

Forgive the essay...I can't thank all of the guys that helped me out, trying to get my truck running again enough...Nick, Brian, Will Beck for picking up a fuel pump, Will Dtbback for wrenching so hard he got a bloody nose, Tony, Dale, Rob (hope he joins GFB), Ryan...and I apologize if I didn't individually call anyone out...but this group, the GFB community is truly awesome...

After dinner, and following Nick and Brian dropping off Tom and Lucy at their trailer, we were trying to locate camp, in the pitch black middle of the lake bed. My fault for not confirming radio channels before leaving the restaurant, but as we are zigzagging, Nick stops for a second and then takes off....my truck dies. I try to flash lights at him, scan radio channels...he's gone. At this point in the night it felt like it was well into the 30s, my son was thankfully asleep in his seat, truck would turn over but wouldn't start.

Thankfully after what was probably 1/2 hr a couple of Jeep guys stopped and checked on me...pulled me closer to their camp and had enough cell reception to get ahold of Brian and Nick.

Will Beck offered to pick up a fuel pump on the way in, as we couldn't hear it prime and determined it had probably failed...after watching some racing we start to tear into a pump swap in camp on the lake bed...would've been easier if I had an access panel (if you ever drop your tank, cut the panel, you will thank yourself later)...and literally everyone offered help in some way, either wrenching, handing tools, safety glasses, suggestions, advice...truly humbled...we took out what looked like the original pump and nasty/dirty filter, and got it put all back together...but still no start. We check the fuses and try to find the fuel pump relay, and I notice a 30 amp maxi fuse that's black/blown. Looking in the manual, it's for the fuel pump relay and power train control module. No one had the giant maxi fuses so Dtbback and I rigged up little jumpers with some wire and spade connectors so we could try a standard fuse. Truck fires!! Joy! Truck idles...I put the truck in gear to move it closer to camp and it immediately dies again...wtf...Nick and Will Beck run into hammertown and find Steve G to see if he has fuses, they return with a badass, heat shrinked jumper and a bag of fuses...we try another fuse and it pops..disgusted and ready to use my truck for firewood we eat and I head to sleep...angry. AM comes and we put another fuse in it and it pops immediately.

Nick shuttles Jacob and I to find a blue spaceship, and we come back to find Brian had my hood up and tarp underneath wiping his hands as he calls me a summama bisch as he located the short....a chassis harness running inside the driver side framerail had fallen into contact with the front driveshaft yoke and worn thru the shielding exposing 2 wires...damn!!! With cold hands and Brian's electrical tape I get the exposed wires wrapped, covered and zip tied out of the way...replace the fuse again, she fires....revs...blows ice out the side exhaust....humbled...then we packed up camp a bit and headed out to explore, go fast and check out some of the obstacles we missed on race day.

I'm humbled by the experience as it has reinforced how great our community is, taught me that I need to verify radio channels before heading into the dark, to carry a few more tools in my bags, I need to cut the access panel, I need to pick up a bunch of maxi fuses, and always look for the simple root cause...

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you
Its always the things you don't see that are the most obvious, I cant tell you how many times thing like that has happened to me. Chased a short in the Bronco seemed to be forever, replaced everything that I thought it could be. Come to find out it was one of those special half ass repair from the previous owners. I guess you can look at like this, you don't have to worry about replacing your fuel pump ,fuel filter or fuses for a good 100k miles.hahaha
I'M ALL JACKED UP ON MOUNTIN DEWwwwww!
Cactus Cooler
Bronco Info: 90 Bronco EB EDITION

Post by Cactus Cooler »

Looks like fun, one of these days I'm gonna make one of these trips.
I'M ALL JACKED UP ON MOUNTIN DEWwwwww!
Nick
Founder
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target

Post by Nick »

The funny thing is, there were 4-5 people crawling under Rob's truck, and none of us saw it...
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
robertcrav

Post by robertcrav »

We were all looking on the back side of the tcase.... :-/ lessons learned, stories accumulated, friendships grown
yikes
Founder
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff

Post by yikes »

The most rewarding part of this trip was when big Rob gave me a hug and grabbed my ass. I'll cherish that forever.
robertcrav

Post by robertcrav »

yikes wrote:The most rewarding part of this trip was when big Rob gave me a hug and grabbed my ass. I'll cherish that forever.
What can I say...I got carried away with gratitude and couldn't help myself
Tchajagos
Bronco Info: 1993 xlt stock on 33' BFGs

KOH 2016

Post by Tchajagos »

I didn't see anyone else there :(

There was so many people out there this year. We pulled in Thursday night and the place looked like Vegas. We set up camp with Bray and his dad Mark who are such awesome people!

robertcrav

Post by robertcrav »

Tchajagos wrote:I didn't see anyone else there :(

There was so many people out there this year. We pulled in Thursday night and the place looked like Vegas. We set up camp with Bray and his dad Mark who are such awesome people!

Dang...if I didn't have my troubles I wanted to track them down for sure
Tchajagos

KOH 2016

Post by Tchajagos »

We were driving around a bit on Saturday and there was a huge sand dune mountain that some trucks were trying to make it up. A Toyota on 37s, a raptor and a UTV were all having trouble making it up this dune. They just couldn't make it up. I aired down my bald 33 bfg a/t tires and gave it full throttle. Made it to the top first try! Take that raptor!

Tchajagos

KOH 2016

Post by Tchajagos »

Becks_Bronco
Bronco Info: 96 Eddie Bauer, 5.8

Post by Becks_Bronco »

Good seeing you guys out there!

I need to check the trips page more often so i can start heading out.

And Robert, no thanks needed brother, you would do the same for any of us in a heartbeat.