DUSY ERSHIM TRAIL - AUG '15

Races, meets, etc
Big Ed
Bronco Info: I don't have a Bronco, want to help with Dusy trail info. I'm in the Adopt A Trail Club.

Re: DUSY ERSHIM TRAIL - AUG '15

Post by Big Ed »

For me it's a lot less stress, don't have to worry about the truck, just put one foot in front of the other.
dtbback
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Post by dtbback »

That sounds like a great hike!! I'd be up for that!!!
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Big Ed wrote:For me it's a lot less stress, don't have to worry about the truck, just put one foot in front of the other.
Absolutely! Thank you so much for the insight into this trail... great info!

I'd love to drive this trail but it looks to be beyond the capabilities of my Explorer.
Big Ed
Bronco Info: I don't have a Bronco, want to help with Dusy trail info. I'm in the Adopt A Trail Club.

Post by Big Ed »

I haven't seen an Explorer on the trail. It's mostly Jeeps, then Toyotas, anything else is rare. I've seen early Broncos, 2 Mitsubishi, 1 Scout II (other than my friends Scout IIs), I've seen pictures/videos of Land Rovers, pictures/videos of 1 Dodge pickup. I've only seen side by sides and quads on the ends, or in pictures/videos. I've seen dirt bikes through out the trail, in small numbers. It's quite a challenge for them, takes quite a rider.
Big Ed

Post by Big Ed »

My sons on the John Muir Trail last year, I'm taking the video.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bF2pYPO5ZMg
fomoco51
Bronco Info: 1992 bronco project

Post by fomoco51 »

Dusy is about an hour from me. I've been wanting to hit it, but haven't had a capable vehicle to do so. I've heard its harder then the Rubicon. A few friends of mine from monterey county do it every year but they are over equipped and running 40"+ tires.
Big Ed

Post by Big Ed »

Where do you live, Shaver Lake?
Broncodawg
Bronco Info: Ole Yeller- 89 Bronco prerunner, 77 Bronco rock rig, 79 F100 prerunner barn find

Post by Broncodawg »

Shame seeing the before and after shots of that nice old Blazer!
fomoco51
Bronco Info: 1992 bronco project

Post by fomoco51 »

Big ed. No I live down in sanger. Im actually close to a hour in a half. I can make it to bald in an hour if I stay on the beaten path. But most of the time I take the fire roads up behind pine flat.
Big Ed

Post by Big Ed »

Broncodawg wrote:Shame seeing the before and after shots of that nice old Blazer!
I know some Chevy guys that know the owner of that Blazer, they basically think he's an idiot for taking it through Dusy Ershim. They know how hard it is to find one that nice.
Big Ed

Re:

Post by Big Ed »

fomoco51 wrote:Big ed. No I live down in sanger. Im actually close to a hour in a half. I can make it to bald in an hour if I stay on the beaten path. But most of the time I take the fire roads up behind pine flat.
You're flying low to make it that fast, so you take 10S69 to Bald?
PaleRider
Bronco Info: 1994 Bronco with aftermarket lift, BroncoAir bumpers

Post by PaleRider »

What week in August? If MonsterB is rolling by then it'll be great to hit the trails.
blazin
Bronco Info: no bronco yet

Post by blazin »

The rzrs will be fine. My buddy and I did the Dusy in september 2013 in our rzrs. We both have 2 seat XP900. I have a winch - never had to use it. Neither of us got stuck or broke down. Worst thing that happend is I almost floped my rzr on its side at the top of Thompson hill - other than that screw up, it drove right up. Chicken Rock was a non-issue even in a 2 seater. We did the entire trail from Courtrite to Kaiser in 8 hours. Yes we were hauling ass - almost no stops - we just wanted to see if we could do it and how long it would take. RZRs should bring extra fuel - we were both almost out of gas. 1000 4 seater will have some issues due to the extra lenth. Some people might think I'm full of crap but I promiss you this is the truth, just trying to give some helpful info for the rzrs.
Big Ed

Post by Big Ed »

Here are the opening dates and source.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOC ... 326322.pdf

Link to open/closed status page.
http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/sierra/ho ... rdb5315989
Big Ed

Post by Big Ed »

Are you guys still planning on walking this? When?
Big Ed

Post by Big Ed »

I didn't/don't get to walk through this year, had a surgery on my right eye and can't go above 2,500 feet until the end of July. I did it six years in a row.
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Bummer! I hope the recovery goes well.
Kartman
Bronco Info: 88 with big shocks and stuff.

Post by Kartman »

This sounds rad and the scenery looks amazing. However I am not a trail wrench or even a shop wrench, and my rock crawl days are long gone.

But if someone wants a non spotting media goon along in a spare sear Im interested
Big Ed

Post by Big Ed »

SteveG wrote:Bummer! I hope the recovery goes well.
So far so good, retina is reattached (June 16th), gas bubble is all gone. I do have full field of vision again, but pretty cloudy. They told me from the beginning the procedure to fix the retina would cause cataracts, so now I need cataract surgery. Don't know when.