DUSY ERSHIM TRAIL - AUG '15

Races, meets, etc
Big Ed
Bronco Info: I don't have a Bronco, want to help with Dusy trail info. I'm in the Adopt A Trail Club.

Re: DUSY ERSHIM TRAIL - AUG '15

Post by Big Ed »

300 wrote:Hmm, I am going to get a tape measure and go out and measure the tires on the Bronco II....
On my rig the distance from outside of sidewall to outside of sidewall is 85 inches, and I make it. I have 14.5" tread width tires on 9" wide wheels, when I had 12.5" tread width tires on 10" wide wheels, it was a problem. I would end up with wood forced into the bead, and losing air. So you want some sidewall bulging out from the wheel, if your track width is as wide as mine.
Big Ed
Bronco Info: I don't have a Bronco, want to help with Dusy trail info. I'm in the Adopt A Trail Club.

Post by Big Ed »

Blazer that went through last year.
Big Ed

Post by Big Ed »

Big Ed wrote:Blazer that went through last year.
Big Ed

Post by Big Ed »

Big Ed

Post by Big Ed »

SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Big Ed wrote:I've driven my full size through the last six years, plus have done some shorter trips. The distance between the trees isn't too narrow, it's the rock on one side that dumps you into the tree on the other side. You need to be able to go slow to keep from getting too much bounce off the rock. Also the turns are really tight. The fact that I have a flat bed has been a big help, because it's thicker metal. It has taken a lot of abuse that a pickup bed wouldn't have.

The side by sides do have a tough time on the trail, there are videos on Youtube.
What's the minimum tire size and lift you recommend for the trail?
Big Ed

Post by Big Ed »

I used to run the trail with 36" tires, I wouldn't want to go any smaller than that. Remember the Forest Service rig recommendations are for a Jeep, with full size we need bigger tires. A full size can't bee bop around obstacles like a Jeep can. That means we have to go over stuff they don't, plus we might have bigger differentials to clear than they do. Of course you could do it with 35s, but would have to work harder. I think the Blazer above is on 35s, my truck is on 41s now.
Big Ed

Post by Big Ed »

Oh, and lift. Whatever is needed to clear the tires.
flyinbronco
HuckMASTER

Post by flyinbronco »

300 wrote:Hmm, I am going to get a tape measure and go out and measure the tires on the Bronco II....

Rick, you know the the race team has been reserving a campground in the Mammoth area for the past several years in July?
Oh crap that's right. Duh
Big Ed

Post by Big Ed »

Internet picture.
Dan90FSB
Bronco Info: 90 FSB on tons

Post by Dan90FSB »

Hi guys! I felt compelled to comment since my clubs been implicated in this.
As Ed has shared with you guys, a group of us from UC4x4 did the trail last summer in full sizes, including 3 FSB’s and of course the 4 door F-2/350 rock limo. We’re all SAS’d with the smallest tire being a 35. On that note, I can’t imagine running the trail in a full size on anything smaller than a 35, and really 37+ is the way to go. Flexy suspension is super helpful and body armor is a must, especially sliders.

The sole dana 44 in the group suffered a broken hub (shattered in 3 pieces) so spares like that are a must. Fortunately hubs are an easy trail fix so you almost want them to break if something’s gonna give in the front axle. With the TTB, the steering will be a weak link for sure. It hangs down low and is not very strong. I’d definitely carry spare steering components.

We all picked up some body damage, ranging from a little quarter panel dent to a broken window and matching bent up door. Most rigs had multiple instances of body damage. Most of us had body damage already and didn’t care that much though so we only went so far to stop additional damage. You can minimize body damage by taking your time, picking your line well and catching a little luck. I would definitely go into this trip expecting body damage though in a full size.

There was winching at times and a tow strap or two as well to get rigs through things. I know you don’t need a winch in the desert but you do out here, so make sure you’ve got a few in your group.

I don’t want to rain on your parade here too bad, just set a realistic expectation for TTB trucks on 35’s, which I have a lot of personal experience with. You can do this trail with a rig like that, but you will struggle at times, you’ll very likely winch, you may break weaker components like steering or hubs and you’ll be an absolute bad ass if you manage to escape with no body damage.

There’s a lot of sections like this, where a rock puts you sideways into a tree

Or this

And then there’s the trees you’ve heard all about. If you’re really careful and catch a little luck, you can probably get through the trees with no body damage. Most likely sections to hit are F/R fenders though I caught top of my A piller a little on one. If you’ve got expensive glass fenders on your rig, leave em at home!

Then there’s tight rock squeezes that the jeeps can go through, but as Ed said, the fullsizes have to go over. This is where big tires, suspension and sliders make the difference.

Thompson Hill is by far the hardest part. This is where we had the 44 hub break, and another truck lost a high pressure steering hose. Only 2 of our 5 trucks made it to the top of Thompson Hill. Unfortunately, it was getting dark and rigs were broken so we have very little pictures / videos of Thompson hill proper. With a 100:1 crawl, 39.5s, tons and detroits front and rear, Thompson was a challenge for me. Took multiple lines and a heavy foot at times to get through. In 10 years of wheeling, I’ve never pushed my truck as hard as I did to get up Thompson hill. Here’s a little video before Thompson Hill showing how much you can struggle over sections that don’t look that hard. Those are 39.5 IROK’s for reference

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmuPCCLelyo

I know people like to make the comparison to the Rubicon. I’ve done the Rubicon multiple times, in both directions, on smaller tires. It’s significantly easier. End of argument :)

So I’m not all doom and gloom… the fishing at courtright is great

And the scenery is beautiful!

All in all its an awesome trail. Great 4 wheeling, well maintained thanks to the likes of Ed and the Fresno 4WDC, beautiful scenery and way less crowded than the Rubicon.
yikes
Founder
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff

Post by yikes »

Thanks for the insight Dan. The video doesn't do justice to the obstacle for sure. I think I would plan to throw on junk yard fender skins, remove the glass and top. Maybe build some half doors. The biggest concern is getting through with 35's and my low swung Sterling. The front won't support 37's without blowing up parts for sure. Maybe I'll just get a golf cart and call it a day.
flyinbronco
HuckMASTER

Post by flyinbronco »

yikes wrote:Thanks for the insight Dan. The video doesn't do justice to the obstacle for sure. I think I would plan to throw on junk yard fender skins, remove the glass and top. Maybe build some half doors. The biggest concern is getting through with 35's and my low swung Sterling. The front won't support 37's without blowing up parts for sure. Maybe I'll just get a golf cart and call it a day.
Your you could just hike the trail with me and we can point and laugh at the golf carts.
yikes
Founder
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff

Post by yikes »

Haha! Sounds like a plan Rick!
Big Ed

Post by Big Ed »

I don't have videos of my rig on Dusy Ershim, seems we're always moving and don't stop to take videos. Here it is at Calico.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X_NeNdhZnR8
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

flyinbronco wrote:Your you could just hike the trail with me and we can point and laugh at the golf carts.
I'd be up for hiking the trail. All the same scenery minus breakage, trail repairs and fixing shtuff once you get home... sounds good to me. The elevation will take some getting used to, but it sounds like good livin' to me.
Big Ed

Post by Big Ed »

My sons and I have walked through for the last six years, and brought out pics like this. I take down notes about how big the tree is, and where it is so the club and Forest Service will know what we are in for to get the trail open to the public.
Big Ed

Post by Big Ed »

Big Ed

Post by Big Ed »

^My dogs pack is heavier on one side than the other, has to be pretty close to be balanced.

Big Ed

Post by Big Ed »

We usually spend 8 days, taking our time camping and fishing. We start at the North end, less climbing that way.