DUSY ERSHIM TRAIL - AUG '15

Races, meets, etc
dtbback
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Re: DUSY ERSHIM TRAIL - AUG '15

Post by dtbback »

flyinbronco wrote:I was thinking of a trip towards Mammoth/June Lake area this summer but body damage was not in the plan. Carry on.

That sounds like a lot of fun!!
yikes
Founder
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff

Post by yikes »

Nancies
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Just to be clear, you posted this so we could make fun of you. Right?
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

OK, making fun aside, this looks like an amazing trip. If I had 33's, I'd consider it. Even sans-lockers. But, for me, it would require at least 5 new tires plus a re-gear which is not going to happen this year... I'm out but it looks like an epic trail.
yikes
Founder

Post by yikes »

SteveG wrote:Just to be clear, you posted this so we could make fun of you. Right?
If nobody is making fun of me, then I'm doing something wrong. Haha!
flyinbronco
HuckMASTER

Post by flyinbronco »

1Hondalover wrote:
flyinbronco wrote:I was thinking of a trip towards Mammoth/June Lake area this summer but body damage was not in the plan. Carry on.
Don't say it unless you mean it Rick.....
Its been way too long since I was there. I'll start a feeler thread to see if there's interest.
Broncodawg
Bronco Info: Ole Yeller- 89 Bronco prerunner, 77 Bronco rock rig, 79 F100 prerunner barn find

Post by Broncodawg »

Last summers GFB run to the Eastern Sierra resulted in body damage, :( , so may not be safe here either!
Rick, happy to line out some great trails around Mammoth that are more go fast and less crawling and brush busting, so let me know.
Broncodawg
Bronco Info: Ole Yeller- 89 Bronco prerunner, 77 Bronco rock rig, 79 F100 prerunner barn find

Post by Broncodawg »

To get an idea of the run, Yikes pic with the white jeep in the rocks is on Thompson Hill and it's probably as rough as it gets on the trail!
Big Ed
Bronco Info: I don't have a Bronco, want to help with Dusy trail info. I'm in the Adopt A Trail Club.

Post by Big Ed »

I'm in the Adopt A Trail club, and communicate with a lot of groups planning trips on the trail. Last year there was a group of full size Broncos, and a 4 door pickup that did a trip. Here's a link.

http://www.uc4x4.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... rip+report
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

I told Kelci about this and she was immediately in... "OK. Let's do it. When?"
yikes
Founder

Post by yikes »

Thank you Kelci!
yikes
Founder

Post by yikes »

Big Ed wrote:I'm in the Adopt A Trail club, and communicate with a lot of groups planning trips on the trail. Last year there was a group of full size Broncos, and a 4 door pickup that did a trip. Here's a link.

http://www.uc4x4.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... rip+report
Awesome shots in there. Now I'm really getting anxious.
Broncodawg

Post by Broncodawg »

Good on you Yikes!, Anything can be fixed. From the looks of some of the war wounds, the straight axle guys on the above run weren't too worried about body damage.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Those pictures are cool. Beautiful country for sure.

Oh and dig that shorty crew.
Big Ed
Bronco Info: I don't have a Bronco, want to help with Dusy trail info. I'm in the Adopt A Trail Club.

Post by Big Ed »

I thought you guys would appreciate how another Bronco group did. They took a lot of wounds, but are determined to go back.
flyinbronco
HuckMASTER

Post by flyinbronco »

From what I know of the trail its not the rocks as much as the trees that get the full size rigs. Its simple math. Bronco is 6'6" wide trees are 6'0" apart with no bypasses. Just kind smash your way through in places I guess. I'm half tempted to back pack the trail just so I can watch. It can be the GFB go ruck challenge. I have no doubt Brian can do it its just the thought of trashing his Bronco to do it that freaks this Nancy out. The guys on the side by sides better have good winches because I think they'll have a tough time of it but then I'm a Nancy so what do I know.
Big Ed

Post by Big Ed »

I've driven my full size through the last six years, plus have done some shorter trips. The distance between the trees isn't too narrow, it's the rock on one side that dumps you into the tree on the other side. You need to be able to go slow to keep from getting too much bounce off the rock. Also the turns are really tight. The fact that I have a flat bed has been a big help, because it's thicker metal. It has taken a lot of abuse that a pickup bed wouldn't have.

The side by sides do have a tough time on the trail, there are videos on Youtube.
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

yikes wrote:Thank you Kelci!
To be clear, Kelci doesn't know there are mechanical limitations here. I'm told my 31" tires and single factory limited slip are not sufficient for this trail. I don't mind putting my car into places it shouldn't be but I do want to make it out and I HATE working on my car on the trail, so this trip is likely beyond anything I should attempt with my current vehicle configuration.
yikes
Founder

Post by yikes »

As long as the cab doesn't get smashed I'm good. If the fenders, quarters and/or top get munched, no big deal. Replacing a hub or u-joint on the trail, not a problem, but I really don't want to make any major repairs either. Regardless, I'll try to be prepared for the big one.
Bronco Info: 1979 Class 3 Race Bronco. Built in 2000.

Post by 300 »

Hmm, I am going to get a tape measure and go out and measure the tires on the Bronco II....

Rick, you know the the race team has been reserving a campground in the Mammoth area for the past several years in July?