DUSY ERSHIM TRAIL - AUG '15

Races, meets, etc
yikes
Founder
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff

Post by yikes »

Just posting this up to see if there is any other interest:

Putting plans together to give a go at the Dusy Ershim trail this coming August. It's not the norm for a GFB, but it's one I've wanted to do for the past decade. This is something that would take a big commitment and serious vehicle prep. You have to carry spares for everything that might break and then some (ie front/rear axles & driveshafts, ring and pinions, hubs, belts, hoses, etc, etc). You have to know how and be capable of working on every part of your vehicle for field repairs. Locked rear and LS front would be mandatory. Rock sliders and undercarriage protection mandatory. 35" tires are for kids here, but that's what I'll be rolling. This will be a 4 day trip start to finish, end to end through some beautiful, but tough country. .

1Hondalover
Bronco Info: Having so much fun with friends in Baja, we're not sure if we want to race NORRA.....

Re: DUSY ERSHIM TRAIL - AUG '15

Post by 1Hondalover »

This looks awesome Brian. Before we decided on a Bronco, we gave some serious consideration to building a big nasty rock Jeep. In the end I decided that I'd rather go fast than crawl, and here we are. Wish I had a Jeep or EB for this trip.....beautiful country I'm sure.

Please post lots of pics!
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

This looks perfectly suited for a stock Explorer with 31's. Will you be dragging the trailer along with you?
Broncodawg
Bronco Info: Ole Yeller- 89 Bronco prerunner, 77 Bronco rock rig, 79 F100 prerunner barn find

Post by Broncodawg »

Awesome trail and scenery! Good fishing at a few lakes and half the trail is above 10,000 feet. Some serious wheeling on the hillclimb out of Courtright Res., but with a team effort, very doable. Should say there are a number of narrow squeezes through the trees that have kept alot of full size rigs out of there. Some of the writeups should mention that if I remember?
Love to go, but already doing the Rubicon in August and have to get the 77 back on the road for that. Lots of links and writeups on the trail in google, but you're probably way ahead of me.
MOSS2

Post by MOSS2 »

We ran the first third of that trail with the Poly Goats in college. Great trail. Had no problems with 79 Toyota pickup with 33s and open diffs. We had a 79 Bronco along on 35s and it did well too but Greg is correct it is tight in spots. Is that first climb on granite 'chicken rock' Greg? That gets your attention and weeds out bad carb setups.
Broncodawg
Bronco Info: Ole Yeller- 89 Bronco prerunner, 77 Bronco rock rig, 79 F100 prerunner barn find

Post by Broncodawg »

Ah yes, Chicken Rock! Quite the rush for first timers. Thompson Hill is the roughest part of the trail, but you are rewarded with amazing camping the first night at Thompson Lake at the top. Asked an avid wheeler buddy who ran it last year about the narrow trees and he took out the snorkel and dinged the windshield on his Rubicon. Not trying to rain on Brians' great run idea, but body damage might be likely with FSBs. Most amazing scenery I could ever imagine driving through though and there's nothing like fresh caught pan fried trout for breakfast in a postcard campsite, so what's a little body damage.
Right!
dtbback
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Post by dtbback »

Could you make it to Thompson lake before it gets too narrow?
flyinbronco
HuckMASTER

Post by flyinbronco »

I think Brian is losing his mind. A trip to Hammertown and he's ready to put a straight axle in and go bash some sheet
metal.
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

I think he'll be ok. If he takes the front and rear glass and doors off, there's really not much sheet metal to trash. It gets a little drafty in the cab, but rock crawlers are into that sort of thing.
Broncodawg

Post by Broncodawg »

dtbback wrote:Could you make it to Thompson lake before it gets too narrow?
The trail is in the trees the whole way, so short answer is no. I remember commenting that we rarely went over 15 mph on the trail because it is rocky and tight. Only portions are harder wheeling, but whole trail is a slow slog of rocks and tight twisty trail. When squeezing through trees, the roots are the problem as you drop off or climb them your body rolls and bang!
Brian's right about bringing everything you may need on this as LONG way out to get parts. One trip a bud broke his rear axle housing and couldn't keep the passenger wheel on it. Had to rig a travois type set up (indian deal with two poles up to a horse for hauling gear) to drag his rig out of there. Lashed a strong log to the TC crossbar and ran it out the back next to the brake backing plate and the passenger rear rested on it! He actually drove a good portion and we pulled him through rough sections, but what an adventure that was! Pics are on old computer darn it.
Travisfab
Bronco Info: 95 XLT 5.8 C6 Prerunner

Post by Travisfab »

Any pics of the trail? My Explorer is only on 32's but it's pretty capable.
Travisfab
Bronco Info: 95 XLT 5.8 C6 Prerunner

Post by Travisfab »

"This is one of the toughest expedition trails in the United States. This statement is made NOT based on the difficulty of any one obstacle, but because you are not likely to traverse this 33 miles of trail in any less than three days! It can be done, but you must be lucky and willing to quickly by-pass some of the most beautiful vistas in the Sierra Nevada mountains! Four or Five days makes this trail far more leisurely and enjoyable. The Forest Service says that you should not attempt this trail with out 32" tires and at least one locker, but I recommend that the best way to enjoy this trail is fully locked with the minimum of a 4" lift and 33" tires."
bajabuck
Bronco Info: 87 Bronco with some Autofab parts held on with bailing wire and duct tape

Post by bajabuck »

Broncodawg wrote:
The trail is in the trees the whole way, One trip a bud broke his rear axle housing and couldn't keep the passenger wheel on it. Had to rig a travois type set up (indian deal with two poles up to a horse for hauling gear) to drag his rig out of there. Lashed a strong log to the TC crossbar and ran it out the back next to the brake backing plate and the passenger rear rested on it! He actually drove a good portion and we pulled him through rough sections, but what an adventure that was! Pics are on old computer darn it.
C'mon Greg!!! I suppose you've limped home on a wooden piston and filled your windshield washer reservoir with gas and plumbed it to your carb when your fuel pump went out. Old computer... hmmm.... Proof is in the pictures brother. Ha ha. I'll look forward to the those pics.

So Brian I would love to do this trip. I just can't commit right now. I will be back from a dive trip to Bonaire on Aug 2 so it just depends on when you go and if I can figure out a way to minimize the time off from work. I'll power drive up and back if I have too but it will still be tough to take time off right after I get back from vacation. I'll figure it out once you finalize the date.

I did some internet research; body damage on a fullsize for sure. I might throw my kayak on the roof if we can factor in some fishing time. Looks like a fantastic trip!
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Post by cs_drums »

Enterprise rents jeeps right?
flyinbronco
HuckMASTER

Post by flyinbronco »

I was thinking of a trip towards Mammoth/June Lake area this summer but body damage was not in the plan. Carry on.
1Hondalover
Bronco Info: Having so much fun with friends in Baja, we're not sure if we want to race NORRA.....

Post by 1Hondalover »

flyinbronco wrote:I was thinking of a trip towards Mammoth/June Lake area this summer but body damage was not in the plan. Carry on.
Don't say it unless you mean it Rick.....
yikes
Founder

Post by yikes »

Travisfab wrote:Any pics of the trail? My Explorer is only on 32's but it's pretty capable.

yikes
Founder

Post by yikes »

My old Bronco is no stranger to the rocks and has no fear of a little trail carnage. Everything is fixable.

yikes
Founder

Post by yikes »

I'll be bringing a small group of as many as 5 RZR XP1000 UTV's and as few as 3. Would like to get at least 2 more full size vehicles. By full size, I mean not UTV's. Bring the Explorers!! Greg! Get that EB going. Let's do this!
yikes
Founder

Post by yikes »

SteveG wrote:I think he'll be ok. If he takes the front and rear glass and doors off, there's really not much sheet metal to trash. It gets a little drafty in the cab, but rock crawlers are into that sort of thing.
Good idea!!