Epic Baja Adventure. Anyone up for it???

Races, meets, etc
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Re: Epic Baja Adventure. Anyone up for it???

Post by tcm glx »

Nick, what if we did it the week prior to the Baja 1000 this year... To soon?

We could head down on a sunday.... have some fun in SF, and then come back up to Ensenada for the mil
Nick
Founder
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target

Post by Nick »

tcm glx wrote:Nick, what if we did it the week prior to the Baja 1000 this year... To soon?

We could head down on a sunday.... have some fun in SF, and then come back up to Ensenada for the mil
There's no way i, or my friend could do that. I think the further out we plan, the easier it will be for more people.
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
tcm glx
Peanut Butter

Post by tcm glx »

Nick wrote:
tcm glx wrote:Nick, what if we did it the week prior to the Baja 1000 this year... To soon?

There's no way i, or my friend could do that. I think the further out we plan, the easier it will be for more people.

Roger that Nick!
gunit

Post by gunit »

Anyone else want to throw up some dates?
I suggest the week before easter next year.
Growing up, my dad used to take us as a family for easter break every year, and then I continued doing so with my buddies for many years. It is a great time to go weather wise, a lot of people have some time off and it is in between races.
I can reccommend several great places to go that are off the beaten path. We used to go most of the time to Mulege or Loreto as our destination but we made several trips to Cabo as well. To go all the way down and explore a little takes at least two weeks, whereas most of our trips were 9 days(2 weekends and the week in between).
billy1911

Post by billy1911 »

Why dont you try to do it with DA, as support vehicles Might be able to get better rates on places to stay and maybe some gas money.
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

PaulW wrote:I would host such a trip based in SF October thru March. I sure have some interesting stuff near SF especially for the ones who have never done all the washes. (Figure 2-3 days for all the washes at a senic pace). However our San Ignacio to the East coast was pretty neat. We also made a leg to the west coast since we based that trip in SI. (3 or 4 days allowing some leasure time). Schedule to work around the races and marking which happens a month before each race. Lots of side trips are always fun.
Got tracks for dozens of trips that you can view on Trackmaker.
Paul
That sounds cool, too. I loooove San Felipe. I've been trying to convince the wife to take a family vacation to SF for a couple years now.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
tcm glx
Peanut Butter

Post by tcm glx »

If we do a week in San Felipe, that would be badassss!! My wife has been wanting to go down there as well for a long time. But that changes the trip... are we taking a family trip type of thing, or a camping on the road guys trip?
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

Lots of options.
For a SF week long trip camping is great at Pete's Camp. OK for wifes and kids. Of course that time of the year rental places are plentiful with a huge range of prices.
Day trips can deal with various places. Like 2 days for washes would allow sight seeing. The west canyons could be another 2 different days. Of course if one has never done the powerline then that could always be worked in. I can even show places for mild rock crawling.

Longer trip heading south would always include Gonzaga and a day for exploring there abouts. Then off to Coco's to check him out on the way to Bhia Los Angeles the hard way . After that the choices are desert back countrey or highway to San Ignacio which could be used for another base for several side trips.
Nick
Founder

Post by Nick »

A san felipe based week sounds good, and might work out better logistically.
bajascott
My belly is my best friend
Bronco Info: its black, its fun to drive,and i dont have enough money to build it the way i want to!:)

Post by bajascott »

that would work out better for me to do a S.F. trip, less milage on my bronco,i would already have 900 there.....or i could fly to S.D. and talk my cousin into heading down in his ride.hhmmmmmm
FRONT YARD FABRICATION
http://ssfab-n-offroad.com/
Nick
Founder

Post by Nick »

Ok, we'd be looking at October-March correct Paul?

Let me see if that time frame works for my friend. He's a teacher in North Carolina, so he'd get the long distance award.
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

Nick wrote:Ok, we'd be looking at October-March correct Paul?
===
Yes, I am comitted to the B1K Oct 11 thru 18. The actual race is Nov 17-21. I will go to contingency on Nov 17, and just watch when they pass nearby on Nov 18. I probably wil work the race on the 18th, but no commitment yet.
Weather is nice for camping mid Oct and early Nov.

Later, say in Feb or March is also a good time for campers. SF 250 is usually mid March? This year I spent over a month making new tracks for the race. Possibly there will be new tracks for the next 250 that will require me out in the boondocks for a week or so in Feb? Depends on the locals and if they want to move the track again.
Paul
Nick
Founder

Post by Nick »

Ok, how does Dec 17th-24th of 2011 grab everyone?
gunit

Post by gunit »

Nick wrote:Ok, how does Dec 17th-24th of 2011 grab everyone?
What about Christmas? I think most of us have plenty to do during that week. Besides, spring or fall will be nicer if you are camping.
Nick
Founder

Post by Nick »

gunit wrote:
What about Christmas? I think most of us have plenty to do during that week. Besides, spring or fall will be nicer if you are camping.
I know. I'm throwing out dates that my friend said will work for him. He has march 8th-13th, or december 15th-31st. Just seeing if we can get something that will work for him. He's never experienced baja, and is very excited to go down there.
gunit

Post by gunit »

Nick wrote:
gunit wrote:
I know. I'm throwing out dates that my friend said will work for him. He has march 8th-13th, or december 15th-31st. Just seeing if we can get something that will work for him. He's never experienced baja, and is very excited to go down there.
March would be nice, many of us will already be in SF prerunning for the 250 on the 8th to the 13th of March 2011.

I would really like to take a non race related trip to Baja with some others that would like to explore a little and maybe bring a surf casting rod.

How about a trip like this:

Day 1 Everyone travel to San Felipe arrive meet n greet

Day 2 San Felipe south to Bahia Gonzaga via old road, camp on beach

Day 3 Bahia Gonzaga south via the back way through El Crucero and CoCos to Bahia de los Angeles, camp on beach

Day 4 Bahia de los Angeles south to Bahia San Francisquito camp on beach

Day 5 Bahia San Francisquito west through El Arco to Miller's Landing (El Tomatal) camp on beach

Day 6 Miller's Landing north all off road along coast to Punta Canoas camp on beach

Day 7 Punta Canoas North to Hwy 1 through El Rosario to San Telmo road East to El Coyote then back way to Mike's Sky Rancho for final night party.

Day 8 head home

There is a fair amout of off road driving on this trip and we could add a day somewhere if necessary for a total of 9 days.

In any event, it would be an "Epic Baja Adventure"
Nick
Founder

Post by Nick »

Dave, that sounds like a great itinerary!
gunit

Post by gunit »

So how about 16 - 24 April 2011?
Broncodawg
Bronco Info: Ole Yeller- 89 Bronco prerunner, 77 Bronco rock rig, 79 F100 prerunner barn find

Post by Broncodawg »

Awesome itinerary Dave! We just blazed down from SF to Coco's, then to B of LA and I want to go back and see it at a slower pace. 4/16-24th might be the week before next years NORRA Mex 1000 which would be cool. How about trying to do it at the same time as the Mex 1000?
Subscribed to this thread!!
Ole Yeller-89 Bronco Prerunner/77 Bronco rock rig/79 F100 prerunner yard art
bajascott
My belly is my best friend
Bronco Info: its black, its fun to drive,and i dont have enough money to build it the way i want to!:)

Post by bajascott »

i think i can work that in.i love B.C. that time of year
FRONT YARD FABRICATION
http://ssfab-n-offroad.com/