KOH 2015

Races, meets, etc
donncdrc
Bronco Info: 1996 fullsize

Re: KOH 2015

Post by donncdrc »

[quote="1Hondalover"] Let's get the Bronco out there Don.....why don't you host a GFB event.
Not a bad idea Jim. We are in Ocotillo Wells twice a month. Terra del sol is March 6th-8th and usually a good time. We will also be out there for Easter week. We have 10 acres with a community fire pit and walking distance to the bar! Not looking to do anything formal but I know the area well and could put a run together. If anyone is interested let me know.
1Hondalover
Bronco Info: Having so much fun with friends in Baja, we're not sure if we want to race NORRA.....

Post by 1Hondalover »

ChaseTruck754 wrote: Wish I would have paid more attention to this thread & seen you guys were in the motel. I hadn't noticed anything other than the Pappy & Harriets call for thurs night, and saw the bronco as we rode out on Sat morning (large group of guys with big hats and 1 HORSE power "vehicles")... By the time we rode back in the bronco was gone. Would have loved to look it over in person & say hi.
I did yell to the guy who was by the bronco as we passed "GFB!" but he looked at me kind of funny. Based on the pics you posted I'd have to guess it was you in the red shirt closer to the motel vs. the guy in the blue shirt (looked like an RDC shirt) that I was yelling at...
That was me.....I was looking a bit bewildered because I was trying to figure out how or why an equestrian dude was calling out GFB. Now I know. We talked to several of your crew on Friday afternoon while we had cocktails on the porch. Cool guys.

We left on Saturday about 11AM, after taking in the relaxing morning including watching a long train of horses head out for the trail. Ptown is a great place and it couldn't have worked out better for visiting KOH. No dust, super quiet, with food, a bar and live music just a few steps away. The Friday show was pretty good but based on the expanse of music P&H books, I'm not surprised about the hipsters on Saturday night. We luckily missed that show but would have left the same way the Cowboys did.
1Hondalover
Bronco Info: Having so much fun with friends in Baja, we're not sure if we want to race NORRA.....

Post by 1Hondalover »

donncdrc wrote:Not a bad idea Jim. We are in Ocotillo Wells twice a month. Terra del sol is March 6th-8th and usually a good time. We will also be out there for Easter week. We have 10 acres with a community fire pit and walking distance to the bar! Not looking to do anything formal but I know the area well and could put a run together. If anyone is interested let me know.
Planned well in advance, we're always up for a trip Don. Unfortunately our next opening would be in the Fall since the Bronco will be on the jacks for Phase 2 over the Summer. It's too bad that so many of us were at KOH and never even made a run together. Ocotillo would be cool and we'd commit to something like that in a heartbeat. We love to plan trips and events but since that's your neck of the woods we'll let you and the other locals orchestrate it. We'd trailer the Bronco down with the RV a la Huckfest since you have some space.

Walking distance to the bar huh?
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

donncdrc wrote:By taking my JK I was able to talk my wife into going with me. I had never drove it offroad. It was slow but I made sure I was moving faster then the other jeeps which made my wife regret her decision but I had to have a little fun! First stop was at the Hammers. Only saw a few Broncos. Tony off in the distance, a green Bronco broke down/ran out of gas in front of me so I gave him some gas and I saw old yeller minus a driver. Moved around the valley and ended at chocolate thunder and stayed until after dark. Went back to Poineer town and had dinner. Got seated next to Jim and Paige without knowing it. Had a nice quite night at the motel, except for the cowboys partying at the camp next door. Met Jim and Paige the next morning and took a tour through pioneer town. My 9 year old loved it especially all the "real" cowboys lined up for a picture (chase truck). Good weekend!
I was the one holding the flag during that pic so wasn't on the horse at the time. Safe to assume you were the guy there with his wife & son & daughter?

That group of rednecks is a club my dad has been in for 30+ years & my grandfather was in before him. Very good group of guys but we can for sure get a bit rowdy/loud on the 3 trips we get together on during the year. We typically camp by ourselves, but on the few places we go where others are around I feel a bit bad for the noise. Sorry if we kept anyone up - haha.

1Hondalover wrote:That was me.....I was looking a bit bewildered because I was trying to figure out how or why an equestrian dude was calling out GFB. Now I know. We talked to several of your crew on Friday afternoon while we had cocktails on the porch. Cool guys.

We left on Saturday about 11AM, after taking in the relaxing morning including watching a long train of horses head out for the trail. Ptown is a great place and it couldn't have worked out better for visiting KOH. No dust, super quiet, with food, a bar and live music just a few steps away. The Friday show was pretty good but based on the expanse of music P&H books, I'm not surprised about the hipsters on Saturday night. We luckily missed that show but would have left the same way the Cowboys did.
Again wish I would paid more attention to this before heading out as I would have made a point to stop by & say hi. Oh well, next time.

Unfortunately for me the Feb. trip/ride typically falls on Hammers, LeDuc or now my daughter's b-day. Known these guys all my life though so they come before truck trips
RyanDS650X
Bronco Info: Autofab '96 XLT 5.8

Post by RyanDS650X »

My Dad and i had a great time. Always good to see Tony and Vic and nice meeting Jose also. TMack was a nice supreise aswell in the raptor. Got to meet Jim and Paige and Drew and his wife at dinner. We hit Parker on saturday and helped a buddy out in the main pit. They went on for a 2nd place finish even after an alternator fire on the second lap. Pretty awesome weekend!
Broncodawg
Bronco Info: Ole Yeller- 89 Bronco prerunner, 77 Bronco rock rig, 79 F100 prerunner barn find

Post by Broncodawg »

Great week at KOH, Monday to Saturday and the weather was amazing! No wind! 75-80 degrees in February.....for a Bishop boy that is heaven! The Every Man Challenge racer I pitted for Thursday ran a smooth race and even though he timed out he finished 16th. Only eleven officially finished on time and broke cars littered the canyons. It was an exciting day thursday out on Bessemer Mine road pitting the car four times during the day! We had four flats during the day and while coming to our pit for the last time late in the race they got their fifth flat with no spare! (Mickey Thompson Tires) They limped into our pit and luckily I was able to borrow a tire to get us to the finish line. Even though we timed out, only about 20 odd racers finished, which makes it pretty special considering its the guys first race!

Friday for KOH, helped an early bronco bud pit two cars out at remote pit 2, then later hiked into Jack hammer for some incredible carnage. 40 cars were bottlenecked and winching over and around each other until dark.

Ran a tank of gas through ole yeller and what a blast. Glen Straightiff rebuilt my shocks recently and there are some great whooped out roads everywhere out there between the rock crawling canyons. Never let it be said TTB can't crawl , because I paced my EB buddies in some rocky washes even if they were pretty tame....haha.

Amazing how big KOH has become as didn't see but a few FS Broncos despite knowing a number of you were running around. Next year we should put together a run to the Slash X for lunch one day. Only one paved road crossing, dry lakes and whoops all rolled into a nice long run.
VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

Next year we should try to have an unofficial/official General GFB spot that the campers and such try to stay at so we can meet up more. There is decent cell service out there so cell communication isn't all that bad. I started this thread awhile back and am just happy as hell I got to meet you all! Having a buddy to go haul ass with is pretty damn fun!