July 12-13 GFB Surf and Turf Invitational

Races, meets, etc
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

July 12-13 GFB Surf and Turf Invitational

Post by SteveG »

I'm just throwing this out there for those that might be interested in a quick and easy summer getaway.

Here's what I'm imagining...

An easy, inexpensive, family-friendly, one-nighter. We would meet up Saturday, late morning or early afternoon. Play on the dunes on Saturday afternoon. Everyone fends for themselves for lunch. I imagine everyone eating out of our trucks... cold cuts, sandwiches, etc.

Saturday evening, head to Casa Gonzalez for a campout in the yard (Assuming most are in tents, we have room for many). Dinner would be a potluck smorgasbord, campfire and drinks.

Sunday morning we could fend for ourselves or potluck again... whatever the masses prefer.

After breakfast, everyone packs up camp and we head to Pozo Saloon (the back way) for lunch. The trail goes from Lopez Lake to the Saloon, cutting through the Los Padres National Forest... a fire road that is mostly easy but slow-going with cool sights and lots of off-shoots ranging from easy to very challenging. Personally, I prefer the easy!

4wd is not necessary for the trail to Pozo. Just about any SUV or truck could make it. High clearance is recommended... want to make a cheap weekend? Leave the Bronco at home and bring the family truckster.

For those that haven't been there, Pozo Saloon is in the middle of nowhere, hosts killer concerts and serves great food. Truly, a destination in the middle of nowhere.

http://www.pozosaloon.com/

http://www.yelp.com/biz/pozo-saloon-santa-margarita

https://www.google.com/search?q=pozo+sa ... 34&dpr=1.2

From the saloon, we could part ways or head back to Arroyo Grande and split from there.

Here's a link for a map of the trail. The last time we did it, it took a little over a couple hours, including stops for a few Geocaches.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=21 ... 9057&msa=0

Date: I don't know. Some time this summer?

What say you, GFB?
Rmc
El Jefe
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

Re: New Event: GFB Surf and Turf Invitational

Post by Rmc »

I think it sounds rad, (if my funds allow) it sounds like it would be a great time. I've also been itching to see some of that beautiful country I've seen in pictures.
robertcrav
Let me google that for you
Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies

Post by robertcrav »

Hrrmmmmm
1Hondalover
Bronco Info: Having so much fun with friends in Baja, we're not sure if we want to race NORRA.....

Post by 1Hondalover »

July and August are awfully hot around our digs.....August could be a good test before Huckfest.

What's the temp like from the lake to the saloon at that time of the year?
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Post by cs_drums »

Sounds like a cool trip. My brother was gonn have his wedding at Pozo but the dates didnt work out.

I may be down if my truck is back together by then.
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

1Hondalover wrote:What's the temp like from the lake to the saloon at that time of the year?
Warm to hot. A/C is definitely advisable.
flyinbronco
HuckMASTER

Post by flyinbronco »

Will there be security at this event cause I don't want to get tazed Bro.
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

I think we'll be fine as long as everyone keeps their dogs on a leash like the sign says! Besides, I have a couple C.O.'s that want to go. They can provide badge numbers and security as needed.

Back to the weather, the earlier in the summer we do this, the better the temps.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

This sounds like a BLAST. I think our little one will still be in the "bobble head" stage at that point though, so I'm not sure I could do the road to pozo with her.
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:This sounds like a BLAST. I think our little one will still be in the "bobble head" stage at that point though, so I'm not sure I could do the road to pozo with her.
Bobble heads would be fine. The main road is nothing extreme.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Cool deal. Now to convince the new mom of that. That will be the hard part.

We were on Carmel Valley Road this past weekend and it was paved, yet a small, 2 lane windy thing (very cool road by the way!) and Karen said "it seems like we're off roading right now" as the road was a bit beat up.
PBR
Founder

Post by PBR »

Got any dates you're thinking of?
flyinbronco
HuckMASTER

Post by flyinbronco »

PBR wrote:Got any dates you're thinking of?
ChaseTruck754 wrote:Cool deal. Now to convince the new mom of that. That will be the hard part.

Yeah what dates?

We were on Carmel Valley Road this past weekend and it was paved, yet a small, 2 lane windy thing (very cool road by the way!) and Karen said "it seems like we're off roading right now" as the road was a bit beat up.

I know that road well between Gonzales and Carmel. My Raptor eats it up. Very fun road on week days no motorcycles to dodge.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

I was in the Ford Edge dirving the family, all along dreaming I was in my Alfa. Perfect car for that type of road.

Only saw 1 motorcycle on the whole thing. Saw more bicyclists for sure.
D1cker1
Bronco Info: 93 EB Bronco 12"Over 40" BFG projects 5.13 gears in a 8.8... 1 seat and stripped Interior

Post by D1cker1 »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:This sounds like a BLAST. I think our little one will still be in the "bobble head" stage at that point though, so I'm not sure I could do the road to pozo with her.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399439841.550615.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399439841.550615.jpg (39.62 KiB) Viewed 936 times
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

haha - that & a helmet would look sweet on her! Not sure they make them in her size though.
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

PBR wrote:Got any dates you're thinking of?
Not really. I'm open to suggestions.
Tchajagos
Bronco Info: 1993 xlt stock on 33' BFGs

Post by Tchajagos »

SteveG, move closer to us down here! I'd like to do more of your events but dat 5 hour drive doh.
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

Tchajagos wrote:SteveG, move closer to us down here! I'd like to do more of your events but dat 5 hour drive doh.
Move closer this way. I promise, once you leave SoCal, you'll won't understand how you lived there so long.
Broncodawg
Bronco Info: Ole Yeller- 89 Bronco prerunner, 77 Bronco rock rig, 79 F100 prerunner barn find

Post by Broncodawg »

Move closer this way. I promise, once you leave SoCal, you'll won't understand how you lived there so long.[/quote]

Ditto that! Only good reason for Socal is being closer to Baja, but other than that.