June 13-15 Eastern Sierras trip

Races, meets, etc
Broncodawg
Bronco Info: Ole Yeller- 89 Bronco prerunner, 77 Bronco rock rig, 79 F100 prerunner barn find

Re: Eastern Sierras trip?? June?

Post by Broncodawg »

Yep, that's the trail. Don't have gps of it, sorry.
Don, were you able to drive up the Pine Creek Mine road back in the day?
It's amazing up in there. Lots of Bighorn sheep too.

Closed up tight now by the Forest who would like to see the whole mine disappear.
Unlike the importance of preserving every Indian site, the mining history and culture that helped build this country is BAD and folks don't have any business wanting to explore those nasty polluted mines!?!?

Try and come over Don and hitch a ride with one of us if you don't have a rig.
Lovin' all this interest and no permits needed to camp, but I'll get a campfire permit.
HotRod82
Bronco Info: 99 Explorer -Dixon Front, Giant 64 rear.

Post by HotRod82 »

Lurking.....can't commit yet.
Broncodawg
Bronco Info: Ole Yeller- 89 Bronco prerunner, 77 Bronco rock rig, 79 F100 prerunner barn find

Post by Broncodawg »

Know that I stirred up interest in camping Saturday night, but concerned about trying to get in two runs over the weekend. To pack up camp Sunday on Wheeler Crest would make it hard to get a run in, versus camping in town? Just a thought and happy to go either way, but anyone who loved the campsite after visiting it, would know how to get back there anytime on their own.

Also, Go faster run into the White mtns, wouldn't have any whoops, just graded forest roads with a little 4 wheel drive, so not to worry for those less whoop inclined.

We could also head up Wheeler Crest Friday evening (if folks can make it to Bishop Friday afternoon) for a little night run. Camp up there, do a side run up there Saturday and then return to Bishop in the late afternoon to camp or motel. Quick Sunday run into the whites and back in time to make drive home easy? Let's see what the group-think is, but this sounds good to me?
guard
Bronco Info: 1996 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by guard »

I was looking forward to the cool campsite but don't want to lose too much seat time. Would be nice if we could do the pretty setting on Friday night. I'm also hoping we get exposure to some decently challenging off-road trails since this is the high Sierras. As long as we get one night of camping we're good, happy to have a shower on Sat night. I grew up fishing at Hot Creek Ranch every May and Sept through the at of 15 but we never did any wheeling with our Volvo wagon, just some hiking and dry-fly fishing.

Oh, we could be there Friday early afternoon easily enough. We'll probably want to get started home around 9-10am on Sunday.
Broncodawg

Post by Broncodawg »

Posting up to keep this moving forward. Like to get in two runs for you guys on Friday and then Saturday and to do that would need to camp near Bishop. Don't see how we could break camp up there Sat morning, drive out of there and still get in much of a run Saturday? If only one run is cool with folks then camping up Wheeler Crest works too, so will leave it up to you guys.

Thinking that once you all knew where this campsite is you could easily go back to it another time. Really want to get you guys up into the White Mtns. too, which are east of Bishop and almost as tall as the Sierras. Some fun graded forest roads along with some cool two track and the views will knock your socks off.

Post up what you think and we'll plan from there.
yikes
Founder
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff

Post by yikes »

I'm game for whatever you recommend Greg. Being a short trip, I would prefer to set up camp just once though.
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

yikes wrote:Being a short trip, I would prefer to set up camp just once though.
Agreed. Again, I can't and won't do high speed stuff but the family and I are up for any trail that doesn't tear up equipment and leads to/through beautiful country and sight seeing. Are there any ghost towns near where we're camping?

Driving to different camp sites would be cool but it's also nice to be able to set up camp and not worry about it for the weekend. I'd be up for keeping it relatively simple... we're currently set up pretty well for having a base camp for dinners and breakfasts. Trails in the morning, lunch on the trail and more trails after lunch... back to base in the late afternoon. We could certainly breakdown camp and set up again the next night but it consumes a lot of time that I'd rather spend exploring and sight-seeing.

Are there any ghost towns, mines and such near the camp?
Broncodawg

Post by Broncodawg »

We'll be on an old mine road on Wheeler Crest, and a couple of mines and cabins in the White mtns. on Saturdays run.
No speed whoops, or hard wheeling (except maybe one spot haha), but you'll want four wheel drive.

Setting up camp once near Bishop Friday and Sat night makes good sense so we can get in two killer runs.
Brown's Town is right past the golf course coming into Bishop and has nice lawn and is convenient as it gets.
They also sell the best home made pies in the world in their store! Won't be a problem getting spaces then.
Broncodawg

Post by Broncodawg »

June 13-15 are the dates folks to save you having to go find it.
Any way to put the dates in the title, oh yeah, no editing....hehe!

Was up in the woods near Mammoth Saturday and amazing how little snow there is, so we
shouldn't have any trouble in the high country by early June.

Anybody carbureted, because that can be fun above 10,000 feet.
Fortunately for this crowd, the solution is easy..... punch it.
Broncodawg

Re: Eastern Sierras trip-June 13-15

Post by Broncodawg »

Thanks for the title update. That's service with a smile and you should get a raise!
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Uh-oh... problem on my end. The 13th is the kid's last day of school. They get out a little early (noon) but that still puts us in Bishop (I' don't know how far from there we're camping) at 7 or 8pm. I'd planned on leaving Friday Morning but now I'm not sure what we'll do. The kids won't want to miss the last day of school....
guard

Post by guard »

Just tell them you'll sign their yearbook and be done with it... LoL
Broncodawg

Post by Broncodawg »

Bummer about kids last day, but will be camped right on the edge of Bishop in a campground. Since leaving camps set up for Saturday night, better to use a campground to keep your camps safe. Camping near town also makes for easy connection with hotelers.

Come on up Friday night and head for home a little later Sunday.
guard

Post by guard »

Will I need to make campground reservations? If so, can you provide contact info?
MOSS2

Post by MOSS2 »

guard wrote:Will I need to make campground reservations? If so, can you provide contact info?

http://www.brownscampgrounds.com/browns.html

U.S. 395, Bishop, CA 93514
(760) 873-8522
guard

Post by guard »

MOSS2 wrote:
guard wrote:Will I need to make campground reservations? If so, can you provide contact info?

(760) 873-8522
Thanks!
Broncodawg

Post by Broncodawg »

Thanks Don,
Stopped by Brown's town campground and asked about Reservations.
No need for reses. unless wanting a hookup.

Even though highway is on one side, other 3 sides have either golf course or pasture and nice lawn to camp on. Did I say they have the best homemade pies in the world. haha.
Bronco Info: 1979 Class 3 Race Bronco. Built in 2000.

Post by 300 »

I have heard that they are also the only place in town that you can get soft serve ice cream other than McDonalds. Important details!
Tchajagos
Bronco Info: 1993 xlt stock on 33' BFGs

Post by Tchajagos »

My favorite camp is just up line street a little bit. Four jefferys. Good fishing up there as well.
guard

Post by guard »

So, I went ahead and made reservations at Browns Campground for check-in on June 13 for two nights, checking out on June 15th. I let them know I was with the GoFastBronco group so that it would be easier to assign us adjacent camp sites. It might be easier to coordinate a breakfast or dinner if we end up wanting to do that. I booked with Tristin and she said you'll want to let them know you're with the GoFastBronco group at reservation time and also when you check in on arrival in order to get positioned close to each other. It's $23 per night for a "dry camp" site with no hookups, first night non-refundable. We are actually driving up to Mammoth on Wednesday for a couple nights to do some exploring in Yosemite and surrounding areas before dropping down to Bishop on Friday.

(760) 873-8522