Go Fast 74 Stock Class

Forum rules
Welcome Early Bronco owners!
Post up some pictures of your rides and share some of your go-fast or hard-use knowledge in our tech area. Thanks for joining!
Prizefighter
Bronco Info: 1978 Ford Bronco, 74 Bronco

Go Fast 74 Stock Class

Post by Prizefighter »

I will start by saying this is going to be a Go Fast Project. I know where I want to end up (Everyman Challenge) but I have some time before I'm ready for that level of racing. I want to do a major off-road race in the next seven years. Plan is to build a stock class EB: 347/C4/ possibly NP205, 35" Cooper Discover STTs. It all started with a frame, then a tub, then piece by piece... My friend has a sandblaster so everything cleans cleaned up then primed.
Bronco Info: 1979 Class 3 Race Bronco. Built in 2000.

Re: Go Fast 74 Stock Class

Post by 300 »

Looks like a good start!
Mojo
Bronco Info: 96eb 5.8, custom SS exh, C&T/uniball, Heim R-arms, 35"bajas 4.88s F53 w/SOLO shackle PRPs

Post by Mojo »

sounds like a good idea, good luck :)
Prizefighter

Post by Prizefighter »

Thanks. I am open to suggestions, I've never built one like this so comment away. New adventure and new territory. Full width axles from a '79 F150 soon to have a complete rebuild with 4:56, drive flanges, Detroits front and rear. Picking up a 78 Ford Bronco steering box for the 4x4x2 conversion and a NP205 this weekend. Not sure if I ultimately want the NP205 due to lack of low gearing but it's cheap and tough as nails so I'll use it. Moss Bros and Mark Noto run it in "Super Truck" with no issues so I'll give it a go. Also picking up this weekend a 302 from a 75 Bronco for FREE! Still in the initial parts gathering phase.
Prizefighter

Post by Prizefighter »

Do I want a 3.5" or 5.5" lift? Going with a 1" BL.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

why the body lift? & what size tires do you plan to run?
Prizefighter

Post by Prizefighter »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:why the body lift? & what size tires do you plan to run?
1" to give a touch of clearance for everything (tcase, tires, exhaust, etc). 35" tires are the max for stock class.

Just figured out a 205 won't easily bolt up to a C4 after I purchased one yesterday. Got a good deal on it so not really set back.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

run a c6 instead?

Personally I'd say maybe the 5.5" lift and skip the body lift. Or I guess the 3.5" and go with the body lift if that's what you'd prefer. I'm all about keeping things as low as possibly while still clearing the tires though
Prizefighter

Post by Prizefighter »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:run a c6 instead?
I would love to run a C6, have a small block one sitting in my garage. Can't though, have to run a transmission that was available to that make/model/year. That leaves me two options: C4 or that 3 speed everybody hates.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

got it. I'm not well versed in most of these new race circuits, classes & rules.

You gonna go to a different t-case, or see if advanced adapters has something to put the 205 behind the c4?
Prizefighter

Post by Prizefighter »

Learning as I go too. Have a friend who wants to swap me his D20 for it now, so I may go that route and upgrade the output shaft. Isn't there a guy who sells a D20 upgrade kit he designed? AA doesn't make an adaptor for it but there is a Klune trick to get it done from what I'm reading. It does work but not popular so there's not a lot of info from what I've found.
VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

If you want any handling at all on an EB you dont want anything above 3.5"--a 1" bodylift is a great idea but I wouldn't ever add more than that. A 5.5" lift on an EB is way to sloppy for any handling to work. In order to get full and complete upward wheel travel you need to move the tracbar mount back about 1". The 3 speed is good for mockup as its identical to the C4 length wise but its not good for much. If you can run a HP front end you wont be killing front driveshafts-- another reason you dont want to run more than 3.5" of lift.
Prizefighter

Post by Prizefighter »

VintageIronFab wrote:If you want any handling at all on an EB you dont want anything above 3.5"--a 1" bodylift is a great idea but I wouldn't ever add more than that. A 5.5" lift on an EB is way to sloppy for any handling to work. In order to get full and complete upward wheel travel you need to move the tracbar mount back about 1". The 3 speed is good for mockup as its identical to the C4 length wise but its not good for much. If you can run a HP front end you wont be killing front driveshafts-- another reason you dont want to run more than 3.5" of lift.
Great info. I've never heard the tracbar trick of moving it back, will give it a shot.

Picked up my steering box, tcase, and engine this weekend. I want to dig into the engine but going to stay focused and stick to Stage 1: Axles and suspension. Goal is to have a rolling chassis that is fully set up before diving into other areas of the Bronco.
Prizefighter

Post by Prizefighter »

Bought a 78 Bronco Ranger XLT for $200.... Then I bought a doubler for it so that makes three Broncos I'm building. This 74 EB is slowly coming along, got the engine disassembled and the front D44.
fireheadedone
Bronco Info: 1995 XLT Bronco, 1972 Bronco build in progress

Post by fireheadedone »

Well, you are a bit ahead of me. I'll be starting my build here in the next few weeks. Gonna do the same as far as tearing down, blasting and painting the frame, but I am going in a little different direction on the build. Best of luck, and HAPPY BUILDING! :D
Prizefighter

Post by Prizefighter »

I cannot believe how fast time has flown. I've blasted the tub and primed it and set it on top of a rolling frame. I've bought 2 more Broncos since last year so this build is very slow and won't be a go fast anymore. I bought some Super Duty axles for it so it will be an off-road beast.
Prizefighter

Post by Prizefighter »

Here's a 75 I bought that was a mud racer and my new go fast Bronco to replace the original post. It has a new 351, auto, ps, and 3.5 coils in the front. This Bronco still has the original seats, rubber mat, and a bunch of other untouched things despite what it looks like with the quick red paint job.