Standfast's EB Build

Forum rules
Welcome Early Bronco owners!
Post up some pictures of your rides and share some of your go-fast or hard-use knowledge in our tech area. Thanks for joining!
standfast
Bronco Info: 76 Bronco, 5.0, AOD, D20, FW 44 & 9"

Re: Standfast's EB Build

Post by standfast »

Well, I played around with cycling the suspension for a long time last night with coils on and articulating and with coils off and dropping it to full bump. I will definitely need a little bend in the track bar. If I move the tie rod up to the top side of the steering arm it will crash into the track bar mount (frame side) the way I currently have it mocked up. There really isn't anywhere else for the track bar to go that won't introduce a slew of other problems. I think I may have to leave it on the bottom and sleeve over it to maybe beef it up a bit. I don't inted to get crazy on the rocks with this thing anyway. The alternative is to run a very steep track bar and I don't really want to create that much axle shift and have to match the drag link to it with the same steep angle, or eliminate about 2-1/2" of compression travel and that ain't happenen...

Lots to work on this weekend
Salttoy

Post by Salttoy »

Great to see an EB build. It might motivate me to get mine out of the garage and get back started on the rebuild.
standfast

Post by standfast »

Sorted out the front shock hoops, bump stops, and track bar.
Started on the fuel tank and mounting. Tank is 16GA stainless. Just made the top and bottoms and tacked them together for now to mock up and check clearance/mounting. Still need to make the internal baffling, side plates, holes for plumbing and sending unit. I made a little crossmember last night on the back that is L shaped to capture the tank. I don't like pinning it into the body. I will probably make another similar bracket on the front side.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Looking good! Love the work & the progress.

On a side note - what is that tube & plate/bracket that hangs down as low as the leaf in the last pic? Looks to be welded to the frame.
standfast

Post by standfast »

That is the brace that the tank straps will bind the tank up into. I will make a similar one for the front and a strap at the mid point of the tank. The tank is 25 gallons and I am trying to mount it up in a certain position to keep it as high up as possible without a body lift and without binding it up into the body.
standfast

Post by standfast »

Oh and it is just a piece of 11gauge, bent into a L shape. No tube there.
standfast

Post by standfast »

I just realized what you are looking at. It is the cage to frame piece. It is flopped down right now because the cage is not in.
toddz69

Post by toddz69 »

ESHALLBETTER wrote:I would make 2 plates off the side of the tube to double shear the heim. This will also put the steering force down the tube centerline and help prevent rotating forces.
If your tie rod was a slightly smaller diameter, you could use something like that to tie in your drag link:

http://www.bcbroncos.com/store/product_ ... cts_id=773

Todd Z.
FlogginHarvey
Bronco Info: 1975 EB 302, C4, D20, d44, F9", Battlment Fab radius arms, king 2.5 smooth body reservoirs

Post by FlogginHarvey »

Awesome start and fun to see another EB, although this puts my little Sweet Pea to shame!;) LOL

Any updates?