How Cool is this one?

Forum rules
Welcome Early Bronco owners!
Post up some pictures of your rides and share some of your go-fast or hard-use knowledge in our tech area. Thanks for joining!
ntsqd
Bronco Info: '70 Early Bronco SuperCab Shortbed Pick-up "Bronc-up" aka "Frank(entruck)", '96 OJB "Blanc-Oh!"

Re: How Cool is this one?

Post by ntsqd »

Now that Calico is done with, the NP435 is sitting on the driveway almost clean. About to split the Dana20 off of it. Sunday the trans goes to it's new owner. Clutch can comes off for cleaning & a steel flywheel w/ new DF II clutch fitment. While out NV 4500 mating will be checked and pilot bearing size confirmed.

Ordered my best guess of pieces to build an exhaust system from Columbia River once the NV is in place. The FlowMaster in the obnoxiously loud system that was on it will get the tubes cut off & put on CL. Going to use a round 3.0" in/out DynoMax that I've had in the past and really liked.

Waiting on all of that is the Exploder front dress conversion. Once I push the new Timken bearings into the idlers it will be ready to go on. Going to try fitting the '79 3/4t Sub's radiator as it is considerably larger (wider) core size. How EB's ever stay cool with those dinky radiators is a mystery to me.
ntsqd
Bronco Info: '70 Early Bronco SuperCab Shortbed Pick-up "Bronc-up" aka "Frank(entruck)", '96 OJB "Blanc-Oh!"

Post by ntsqd »

One of the Calico attendee's posted her pics & I grabbed those of our truck. Mule Canyon camp.
Large beginnings of a ridge in middle-upper right is Camp Rock. THE Camp Rock that Camp Rock road went to before the freeways went in. Named that because it was a Borax 20 Mule Team nooning spot on the first day out from the original borax mine.
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

What a cool truck. It looks like a Ranger from far away.
ntsqd

Post by ntsqd »

Hadn't noticed that until you said something. Is that good or bad? :)

hum......
http://www.internationalpowerstroke.com/VT275.html
200 HP @ 2700 RPM
440 Ft-Lb @ 1800 RPM
This could work well. Wish that they listed a BSFC number.
Loses a point for missing the mechanical IP goal, but gains one for being more or less a Ford. Waiting on a Ford tech / EB aficionado friend's feed-back. Anyone else know much else other than they're not common?
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Ha! Definitely not bad. I just find it interesting the way car manufacturers will retain certain angles or proportions for years and how those things distinguish them from other makes.
ntsqd

Post by ntsqd »

My newest favorite picture of the truck:

Been working on a rear bumper spare carrier design (wish that I could move the Andataco steeker). I need the bed to be a bed, so putting the spare in there won't work. What I have so far, will have a pintle hitch bolted to those 4 holes. Intent is for it to be structural and mimic the original bumper's shape. Lots of other things that need to be done, so this is both a ways off and subject to change:

The spare carrier that I built for our CTD, driving idea is that my wife weighs less than the spare and she needs to be able to change it if I can't for some reason. I'm heading down the same path with the Bronc-up's spare carrier, but employing a different means of lifting & lowering. I'd mention how, but that hasn't been firmed up yet.

Have had a range of distractions inhibiting work on the Bronc-up. Should be getting the match-balanced steel flywheel back this afternoon. Still need to remove the reducer steel bushing for the NP435's roller pilot bearing. Will have to be split. Bushing ID and small crank hole ID are too close for any puller to work. Going in is the same set-up, sized for the NV 4500. Were it that I could just start the engine & fix a boring bar somewhere......
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Is that tailgate off a 67-72 F series, or is that an original bronco part? Don't know the old broncos well enough to tell...
ntsqd

Post by ntsqd »

Original Bronco tailgate. Note the offset "FORD" and the hinged plate holder, never seen those fitted to the F-series tailgates. F-series bed was narrowed to fit it.
toddz69

Post by toddz69 »

Is Dusty's old bumper? I'm trying to figure out where that Andataco steeker came from......

Todd Z.
ntsqd

Post by ntsqd »

I've wondered that myself. No idea how that steeker or that bumper came to be on a truck initially built in WA.
ntsqd

Post by ntsqd »

Qwik update: Got the NV 4500 in. Working on a period F-series transfer case shifter knob so that I can set the shifter lever where it won't hit the trans shifter lever. Then onto exhaust.
ntsqd

Post by ntsqd »

Well the Dana 20 was allowing it's single shifter to put the front in low and the rear in high when shifted into neutral from 4-Lo. Haven't wrapped my head around that one. Pulled it back out and apart to see what was going on and found that the front yoke had been installed with red lock-tite in the splines. It also had been 'eaten into' some by the end of the splines under the bearing. Clearly there's something missing in there. When I added up the parts that I knew that it needed (never mind those that I hadn't gotten to) and factored in the "rebate" (thanks for the term, TZ!!) that I got from finally selling off the FJ60's ARBs it made the net out of pocket price on an Atlas too good to pass up. So I didn't. 3-4 weeks for that, and I need it for the next step in under-truck work - building the exhaust.

When this Bronco's predecessor was built the 4X4X2 box didn't exist so the only PS option was OEM, and those were spendy. So the PO found a likely box that fit and used it instead. When he built this EB that is one of the things that got moved across. I'm told that it's a 2WD Yota mini-truck application. Turns out that all of the yota steering input splines are the same. At least within the trucks anyway. Which means that the PTO-like real UJ's in an FJ60 column fit the box, and the UJ specific to the box has a real slip-yoke in it - complete with rubber boot. Bought a whole used FJ60 column off IH8Mud and will graft the upper UJ to the bottom of the Ford column. This is why this needs to be done:

These are the parts:
ntsqd

Post by ntsqd »

SteveG wrote:snip.....

Someday, GFB should crash an EB get together. Like a surprise family reunion.
Was just reviewing this thread and saw this post. Big Bear Bronco Bash June 12-14 https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/socalbroncos/info
Centered around the Majestic Moose Resort in Big Bear. Ad-hoc trail runs starting on Thursday. As you might expect from being in Big Bear, most trails run are more of the low range type.
Rmc
El Jefe
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

Post by Rmc »

That would be awesome! I like the crashing the meet idea!
ntsqd

Post by ntsqd »

Life has gotten in the way of working on this truck, again. Current status is that the Atlas t/c is installed, but the supplied shifter linkage would never work no matter what. Stalled at building a twin stick for it. Seems like that should be simple, but it isn't. A lot of constraints involved. Would be a little easier if it wasn't in the truck, but pulling it and the trans aren't in the cards. I'll deal and then move on to new exhaust.
Cross-threaded is tighter than Lock-Tite.
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

How Cool is this one?

Post by Wrightracing.net »

You should look into cable twin shifters like the one from Advanced Adapters.
ntsqd

Post by ntsqd »

Maybe that would solve the problem and maybe not.I want the shifter to be in the traditional location. Without a lot of investigation I would expect that the cables would have to travel in a 180° and that the shifter mechanism would be close to or interfere with the shift rails themselves? A non-traditional location is not an option. I just need to get over throwing out what I've built so far and start over, again.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Cable shifters on a married case are tough. The morse cables are big/thick and don't have a super tight bend radius so tucking them in can be tricky as you suspect. I'm collencting parts to twin stick my NP205, but it's a divorced case so my life is a bit easier.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

How Cool is this one?

Post by Wrightracing.net »

On the Advanced Adapters cable shifter for the Atlas, it looks like the cable does not need to do the 180° turn, but is a straight shot to the front of the vehicle. At least that is how it looks. The cable shifter for the NP205 is a different story.

ntsqd

Post by ntsqd »

In the more or less OEM position (where I want the shifters to be) the mechanical driving links are about 3.5"-4.0" long. I just don't see the cable shifter system working there.