How Cool is this one?

Forum rules
Welcome Early Bronco owners!
Post up some pictures of your rides and share some of your go-fast or hard-use knowledge in our tech area. Thanks for joining!
ntsqd
Bronco Info: '70 Early Bronco SuperCab Shortbed Pick-up "Bronc-up" aka "Frank(entruck)", '96 OJB "Blanc-Oh!"

Re: How Cool is this one?

Post by ntsqd »

This is how I normally bleed brakes:
Short tube/long hose goes to intake manifold vacuum. Short hose/long tube goes to the bleed screw.

Never thought of using it that way, but I do have an automation/robotics air powered vacuum generator that would be about the right size for brake bleeding.

I think that ultimately for regular brake bleeding I would still prefer to push brake fluid in through the bleed screw. I have it on good authority that this is how aircraft brakes are bled. With a decent low pressure regulator, say mcmaster p/n 9892K12 set just a couple psi, should do the trick. The cal gas bottle will need a siphon tube, but that's an easy thing to add.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

PaulW wrote:X2
The one I use is item 92924
Worked as advertised easy for use the first time. No do overs.
Is that the same one you have Andy? May need to grab one of those!
Silverslk
Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Baur Bronco......GONE to a better home

Post by Silverslk »

Yes. Paul's shows online but this is exact same but shows as in store only.

http://t.harborfreight.com/pneumatic-br ... 61912.html
ntsqd
Bronco Info: '70 Early Bronco SuperCab Shortbed Pick-up "Bronc-up" aka "Frank(entruck)", '96 OJB "Blanc-Oh!"

Post by ntsqd »

Well, my "power bleeder" squirts fluid pretty well with just a couple psi. The newest problem is that it takes about 5 psi on the front reservoir to get it to even dribble fluid out of the open hard lines on the axle (no caliper hoses in place). It will not gravity bleed, no level change in 24 hrs. It was pushing fluid out of the rear caliper bleeder at about 2 psi. Going to move to the '88 D150 M/C (thanks TZ!) and then check that the H-B push-rod is the correct length for it.
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

What do you is restricting the lines?
ntsqd

Post by ntsqd »

I think that it is the m/c itself or the length of the push-rod coming out of the H-B unit causing an unacceptable pre-load on the m/c piston. If it were a pre-load issue I would have expected there to be residual pressure in the front brakes but that wasn't the case. I'm just not going to rule it out, yet.

The hard line from the m/c to the hose block on the frame, and the flex hose from that block to the block on the axle are both new, as are both blocks. That leaves the hard lines from the axle block out to the anchor tabs for the caliper hoses as original. None have kinks or any sign of damage. The previous frame to axle hose had kinks, but did not appear to be holding pressure.

Current m/c has the ports on the passenger side, which makes LH rocker cover removal more of a pain. The D150 m/c has it's ports on the driver's side. Means that I get to practice my tube bending skills a little more, but I've gotten rusty so this is a good thing.
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

Why not spring for a different MC?
That is what I did on my 72. I used a Chevy unit with the ford to chevy adapters.
===========
ntsqd wrote: Current m/c has the ports on the passenger side, which makes LH rocker cover removal more of a pain. The D150 m/c has it's ports on the driver's side. Means that I get to practice my tube bending skills a little more, but I've gotten rusty so this is a good thing.
ntsqd

Post by ntsqd »

That's the plan. No idea what the original application is for the existing m/c. I'm going to use the m/c that TZ is using on his H-B system.
ntsqd

Post by ntsqd »

Pulled the old m/c off last night and got a good look in the reservoirs. There's clearly been some water resting in the bottom under the silicone fluid. Nice rust "bath ring" around the sides about a 1/4" from the bottom. Just barely high enough to make it into the system. Am going to guess that the front calipers have a similar problem and that is why they're partly seized. I'm hoping that the Exploder rears are still good as they are new, not rebuilds.
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Rust will do it. When do the new parts go on?
ntsqd

Post by ntsqd »

Been working on adapting the m/c adapter, should be able to bolt on the m/c today. It needed more spacing for the reservoir to clear the HB's accumulator body and there is a .003" increase in register pilot OD. Thankfully the previous m/c had quite deep push-rod bore in it's piston so I had to shorten that rather than lengthen the push-rod.

Slow progress of late is due to prep for, and then going on this trip:
http://machinegenesis.smugmug.com/TRIPS ... 14/n-Z7mDc
Really hoping to do the next such trip in "Frank" as my wife calls it. There were a couple of roads that we both really wanted to go on where the CTD was not appropriate. Maybe we'll even find a mini-truck version of a pop-top for it? That's been on my mind a lot during and since this trip. Too far out there right now, need to focus on getting the truck to the point where such a use is even considerable.
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

Cool photos! That looks like a fun trip.
ntsqd

Post by ntsqd »

Usual life in the way stuff lately. Do, finally, have the brake system sorted out. Now it runs like it's a got a 351 in it! I would guess that until now the brakes have been dragging to varying degrees since I got the truck. I think that the brakes were the real smoking gun. It runs like I think a mild 351 should now, can't shift the NP435 fast enough at WOT, and it will break both rears loose in dirt just by romping on it.

Staged & waiting on one part is an NV 4500 swap. That is very likely next. Staged and waiting on getting the Alt back from Unit II and the PS pump back from Lee Mfg is a '97 Exploder serpentine belt front dress swap. When that happens I'll be looking at using the radiator out of my '79 3/4t Suburban. It will be close, but won't be able to say yea or nay until the current radiator has been removed. And I'm in the heavy parts acquiring mode for SEFI. I'm down to needing a MAF and an A9L/similar ECU. Have a Lightning lower and an Exploder upper/injectors/fuel rails. I've an in-bound box of harness parts and Ric Kolibar is lined up to build that harness.

I'm going to try the SEFI'd 351W and see if it results in the range I'm looking for. If it doesn't I'll sell it as a complete running serpentine belted SEFI'd 351W for an EB and go diesel.
ntsqd

Post by ntsqd »

Well groan. I'm the third owner of this NV swap "kit". Turns out that the first guy was a little HUA. He bought a new gasser application NV (23 spline output) but an AA D20 adapter for the diesel version (29 spline). AA will sell me the 23 spline spud shaft for a reasonable price, but they won't have any until after the first of the year. And they wouldn't accept a back-order order. The ~$300/whole lot of work on a brand new trans option is to put an aftermarket 29 spline main-shaft in the trans. Not sure that's necessary at my anticipated power level.

So that moves the Exploder front dress conversion to the top of the list. I've had the 4G inspected by my local starter/gen/alt guy (GTG) and Lee Mfg rebuilt the pump & supplied me with their special -6AN/JIC adapter output fitting. I need to push the 3 idler bearings out and replace them and then I can tear it down and start the swap.
Bronco Info: 1979 Class 3 Race Bronco. Built in 2000.

Post by 300 »

ntsqd wrote:I think that ultimately for regular brake bleeding I would still prefer to push brake fluid in through the bleed screw. I have it on good authority that this is how aircraft brakes are bled.
Aircraft brakes are indeed bled that way. The fluid is also red like ATF and it makes a mess because you push fluid until it overflows the MC. The MCs are buried behind the pedals and the tops don't come off. Not sure how effective that would be in an automotive application but it should work fine. Some master cylinders and brake systems have pressure restrictors that maintain some pressure to the brake cylinders and you would have to provide enough pressure to overcome these if they had them. I think 2 psi restrictors are common.
ntsqd

Post by ntsqd »

RPV's- Residual Pressure Valves. Nearly all drum systems have a 10 psi RPV to keep the shoe retraction springs from retracting the shoes too far. When OE these are usually behind the brass sealing cone in the m/c outlet port. Some disc systems have a 2 psi RPV, but usually those are only present when the M/C is mounted below the calipers, like on a Sports Racer. Occasionally see them on other vehicles to solve some problem or other, like excessive caliper piston knock-back due to a loose floating rotor.

The rear system filled fine using the pressure bottle. The front was more of a challenge because the bleed nipple thread fit to the caliper thread fit was very sloppy. I used dielectric silicone grease in all of the bleeder threads, but in retrospect I should have used teflon tape on the fronts. Bleeding was a different story. For whatever reason the process didn't want to bleed all of the air out. Final bleed was the traditional 3 pumps and hold process.
ntsqd

Post by ntsqd »

First outing.

Took it out to Calico for the So CA EB's event there last weekend. After a major scramble to address all of the issues that I was pretty sure would cause trouble I was left with an AFB carb, which aren't known for their tolerance of other than street attitudes. It ran flawless all weekend save one short hick-up. What I/we think was a minor spot of vapor-lock. What ever it was cleared up fairly quick. Fairly ironic that I was just a couple steps away from having a by-passing fuel system in place and didn't have the time to finish it before leaving.

Sure was fun to stab the throttle in Afton Cyn's sand wash and have the truck take off like a rocket. OK, so maybe not a rocket, but when compared to the 22R's 4 squirrels that I've been driving for the last ~13 years.....

Cab roof needs to come off and be inspected for sources of the veritable cacophony of squeaks and rattles. Suspect that most are cage vs. cab roof kinds of issues. Some are lack of enough bolt holes to eliminate relative motion of the roof to the tub.
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

It sounds like a successful trip. No photos? Not even a poser shot? You're as bad as me!

How was the EB turn out?
ntsqd

Post by ntsqd »

Took a bit, smugmug doesn't talk to Macs very well I guess. No official count was taken, best estimate is 22-24 EB's. Saturday I started out with 11 on the Moderate/Scenic Run, but that includes a Sub, a well built FJ-40 (that didn't look like much), and a bitchin F-100 SWB. About that number again on the run over to Afton Cyn. on Sunday.

Odessa Cyn, Overlook "Parking Lot":
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

That looks cool!

Someday, GFB should crash an EB get together. Like a surprise family reunion.