PaulW's 72

Forum rules
Welcome Early Bronco owners!
Post up some pictures of your rides and share some of your go-fast or hard-use knowledge in our tech area. Thanks for joining!
FlogginHarvey
Bronco Info: 1975 EB 302, C4, D20, d44, F9", Battlment Fab radius arms, king 2.5 smooth body reservoirs

Re: PaulW's 72

Post by FlogginHarvey »

Awesome pics and explanation! Thank you VERY much! Great touch on the tether...I'm sure I would have banged-up a fender learning that the hard way... ;)
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

Update
* Gauge pod final. Now for the wires. Pod is flat black
* Ram is done and steering on the highway is much improved. Modified Sag PS pump low BCB mount with res. Low mount needs AC delete pulley or AC compressor so I have a cheap AC compressor. Ram parts & modified pump & 4x4x2 box done by West Texas (Red Ram). Install by Drew at BC Fab.
Attachments
P7180953.JPG
P7180953.JPG (81.85 KiB) Viewed 9903 times
P7180951.JPG
P7180951.JPG (80.4 KiB) Viewed 9903 times
P7180946.JPG
P7180946.JPG (79.61 KiB) Viewed 9903 times
P8010977.JPG
P8010977.JPG (80.56 KiB) Viewed 9903 times
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Looks like first class work, Paul. We'll done.

I used an in-line radiator cap like yours on my v8 Ranger (bed mounted radiator) years ago. It alleviated my cooling system filling dilemmas.
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

SteveG wrote:Looks like first class work, Paul. We'll done.

I used an in-line radiator cap like yours on my v8 Ranger (bed mounted radiator) years ago. It alleviated my cooling system filling dilemmas.
= ====
Thanks. Represent lots of fiddling.
After a couple of times draining and filling the coolant I added that high point filler and a quick drain on the crossover pipe under the radiator. Yup the radiator comes out for work on the front of the motor.
The full size cars of the day had a nice recovery tank mounted up high. No way it will fit on my rig so the next best is the high filler cap. The trucks of the day had no such thing and recovery bottle and motor bleed had to be added.
Did I say tight?
The hydroboost/master comes out when plugs have to be changed. Sigh.
Underneath is also tight with a non stock tranny and headers. Never ending hassle.
Looks like the BCB AC requires the top of the motor to come off to get to an easy place on he firewall?.
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

Update
Put the HD motor mounts on and sure enough it raised the motor and increased the angle . Hood clearance is not an issue but the EGR gadget at the back of the intake is a tight fit. The brace shock to shock has to have a do over. It hit the AC compressor before the new motor mounts and is worse now. The brace do over was a planned mod anyway to allow connections to the AC comp.
I chose the vintage under dash Evap and its going to be close for the transfer shifter clearance. Not sure about the hoses to the evap. Fiddling continues next spring.
Instructions from Vintage Air and BC Broncos are for something different than my setup. Called BCB and got the sales guy and no help. No big deal as I have done AC before and will just wing it. Looks like hoses will have to have mods. Good news is the cond. fits between the core support and the rad which means my trans coolers stay put.
Just found the latest upgrade for future. That is the vent window delete with a one piece door windows. Reports are that the air leaks and noise go away with the kit.
More later.
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

Hey Paul
I know this is a old thread, but did you ever put the one piece door windows in the 72 Bronco?

I have been layed up with a severely herniated disk in my back and my 72 Bronco project with the 86 Bronco chassis is on hold. When I get back on my feet, I want to do the one piece window conversion. Where did you get the conversion kit and were there any difficulties putting it in?

I hope you and the family are doing well. I heard Chris sold his Bronco like mine, that is a bummer.

David

David Wright

PaulW

Post by PaulW »

Vent window delete
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/showt ... ght=window
Titan Mike is the source
Send him a PM and see if he is still selling the kit
$650 back in 2015
When I did mine his mirrors were not available. I moved both door mirrors as far fwd as possible and used a remote mirror for 60s Mustang/Full size on the driver’s side.
Install was easy with only one issue which was the clips for the new weather strip can damage the paint if not careful
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

PaulW wrote:Vent window delete
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/showt ... ght=window
Titan Mike is the source
Send him a PM and see if he is still selling the kit
$650 back in 2015
When I did mine his mirrors were not available. I moved both door mirrors as far fwd as possible and used a remote mirror for 60s Mustang/Full size on the driver’s side.
Install was easy with only one issue which was the clips for the new weather strip can damage the paint if not careful
Thank you Paul

David Wright

toddz69

Post by toddz69 »

Wild Horses also sells a kit now too:

https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/O ... co_windows

Todd Z.
Wrightracing.net

Yes, thank you.

David Wright

PaulW

Post by PaulW »

toddz69 wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:35 am
Wild Horses also sells a kit now too:

https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/O ... co_windows

Todd Z.
===
Smart to grab a good product I hope Titan Mile benefited
Wrightracing.net

Hew Paul
Thanks for the information.

Another question, I was thinking of an on board air system. I saw the on board air you have in the engine compartment. I am torn between a electric air compressor or one mounted in place of the smog pump on my 1986 351w that had the smog pump mounted under the alt. since I am putting the 351w in the my 1972, I am removing the smog pump. I have a Quick Air 2 compressor already in the portable metal box, but it seems a bit slow when airing back up after airing down tires. I do have a tank that will get mounted, but I don't know if that will make it faster airing up tires. I would like to be able to run my mini plasma cutter welder combo, that is why I am going to run a 250 or 300 amp alt in it. When running the plasma cutter and the electric compressor, it may be to much for the alt. Also I am not sure how much horse power the engine mounted pump would take. I am not sure if I can get a good high output compressor that has a clutch like an Air Conditioner pump uses, so it does not effect the horse power when turned off.

What do you think?
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

What I know
For a 72 your options will be very limited due the very tight engine compartment. Go to classic bronco forums and search. I am sure you will find something to meet your needs. The 351 makes it will be rare. That is a lot of stuff for a 72 as compared to a full size Bronco.

Electric compressors: ARB, and VIAIR both have a 40A fuse protection, but I think the load is less than 30A. The dual ARB fills the fastest and the best VIAIR is slightly slower. No other electric pumps are comparable until you get above the 500 buck price point and the amps go up accordingly.
Alternatively, for pumping up tires:
// A CO2 setup for tires is an option. Way faster and any normal price electric setup. Get them filled at the weld shop or go with the 20# and just exchange for a full one at any gas supply place. Stay away from Power Tank because of initial price and re-cert for their tanks.
// York compressor kits are available, and they all come with a clutch. Output for tires is comparable with a CO2 setup. I have seen York’s on big broncos. The kits usually come with custom brackets. For the 72 not a good choice.
// Sanden compressors are setup like York but are easier to package due to physical size. You will have to search to find a kit otherwise you will be on your own for brackets. Easiest because AC brackets and kits are a common way to go.

I have no experience with welders or plasma, but I have a buddy that has welders in two of his rigs. He said he got alternator kit designed for welding. His were bought used and he saved money because when new they are very expensive. He said those alternators put out a lot of amps. Kits are available that replace the stock alternator and come with electrical stuff for weld operation – vehicle specific otherwise custom fab is required to mount the alternator. The way I understand the details for the controller is the big deal and a robust high amp alternator not so much.
Wrightracing.net

Thank you for the info.
I have seen the York compressor and I was not sure if they were faster than an electric pump. On my 72 Bronco, I am fortunate that the engine compartment will be 13" wider than a stock 72 and I will be doing custom inner wheel wells to accommodate the coul-overs and the engine cage. I will most likely have to fabricat a bracket to fit the York compressor to fit in the place of the smog pump. My 72 will basically be a full-size Early Bronco with the 1986 chassis under it and body similar to Chris's old Bronco. I think I will go with the York unit because I don't want to refill CO2 tanks.

With the welder/plasma cutter, I will be running a 220v inverter to run the welder/plasma cutter. With the compressor being run by the motor, I won't have to worry about electrical overload.

Thanks again, that helped alot.

David Wright

PaulW

Post by PaulW »

Ha I forgot you were using the full size on the 72. Great plan.
Carry on
PW