The Owyhee Mustang - Idaho Adventure Bronco

madmatt1
Bronco Info: 1995 White XLT, daily driven work in progress.

Post by madmatt1 »

As a long time "old Ford truck enthusiast" from the God forsaken part of the rust belt known as Wisconsin, moving to southwest Idaho a few years ago presented a whole new world of opportunities and necessities to me. For the first time in my life, I was able to find locally, and afford, rust free OBS Ford trucks. That blew my mind, and I went on the hunt immediately. (Let me tell you, car guys who have spent their whole lives "out west" have no idea just how good they've got it!)
First came the 1989 F150. It was a great deal, and it's taken me a lot of amazing places here in the high desert very reliably. That being said, it's slow, its thirsty (300 six) and it rides like a donkey cart. I soon became obsessed with the idea that there had to be some way to make these old trucks comfortable to take across the rocky desert and up into rough mountain roads.
Up until this point in my life, making a truck more off road worthy had consisted of things that I'm now embarrassed to go into a lot of detail about.
Well, long story short... I learned what "long travel supsenion" was, researched how to make TTB work in such a manner, and ended up at this forum at some point. I've always been an F150 guy, but always wanted a Bronco. It didn't take too long before I was obsessing over a number of builds on this forum, and began to look for a Bronco of my own. Fall of 2018 finally presented me with one that would suit my needs and my budget perfectly....

madmatt1

Re: The Owyhee Mustang - Idaho Adventure Bronco

Post by madmatt1 »

The Bronco was kind of a strange one. It's an XLT with the majority of the options, but came with the oddball bench seat. I hate bench seats. My Bronco came with the added bonus of being littered with mouse nest debris, a strong stench of farm, as well as underlying notes of fuel vapor, antifreeze, and mouse piss. All of the important trim panels were really good, though. This is the important part. Finding good interior panels these days is one thing, and then there's blue ones.... :roll:

First step was to do everything within my power to make the cabin inhabitable. Better, but still gross.

madmatt1

Post by madmatt1 »

I drove the Bronco around for as long as I could stand to, with the general funkiness of the interior. I shampooed and steam cleaned the seats several times, which helped immensely. I knew that the carpet was just as much, if not more of an offender in this scenario. I figured I could pull the seats and the carpet and go crazy on them with my pressure washer. Things started looking worse as I progressed...

madmatt1

Post by madmatt1 »

Upon tearing out the cargo area carpet, I discovered the source of my "notes of fuel vapor" I previously mentioned. I've seen a lot of questionable, laughable, and pitiful repairs over the years, but this little piece of redneck engineering is one of my favorites! Someone really poured their heart and soul into this repair. Some strips of duct tape and a license plate literally would have been an improvement to what we see here. To top it all off, the last time someone was monkeying around in the tank, they failed to seal it back up.... :|
Every time I'd hit a good bump in the road, or take a stiff corner, fuel would spill out, as evidenced here.

hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

Welcome! Not too shabby. Unfortunately it appears often with these old Ford's that someone spent more time drinking the fix rather than working on fixing it.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
madmatt1

Post by madmatt1 »

To remedy this little fiasco, I ordered up an F150 bed floor patch panel. If memory serves, I ordered it from Summit Racing. It's been a while now...
Solo Motorsports sells pre-made panels for this purpose if you're not wanting to mess around. I wanted to have control over the size of the panel, as well as be able to make one for my pickup down the road. I used rivet nuts in the floor to secure the panel. I used a butyl type seal around the perimeter of the panel. I shot the panel in a few coats of Rustoleum, and after the fuel sender was fitted with an o-ring, everything was well and good again. I'm now actually pretty happy that someone chopped that hole in the floor, because I wouldn't have had the heart to do it myself. I can, however, definitely see the overwhelming advantage this setup will give me when I need to get in there!

I decided that I wasn't going to mess with the carpet. It was too gross, too stained with grease and oil, and probably a health hazard to disturb it. I did some shopping around, and found a great price on the carpet set ACC makes. I've used them before, and it's a good product. In the mean time, I tossed things back together as the new carpet was a little ways out. Again, that blue color is always a little bit harder to track down than your typical gray or tan.
It was time to go do a little test and tune on this Bronco while I waited for carpet. I'd been driving the truck around quite a bit, and could tell it was in dire need of some maintenance...

madmatt1

Post by madmatt1 »

hobbyturnedobsession wrote:Welcome! Not too shabby. Unfortunately it appears often with these old Ford's that someone spent more time drinking the fix rather than working on fixing it.

Thank you! Yes, I think that's true. I never met the previous owner of this Bronco, he lived in Oregon and had a friend in Idaho sell it for him. I got the impression that all he did was drive it, put gas in it, and pay someone else to fix things when he could.
madmatt1

Post by madmatt1 »

The first time I took the Bronco out to the desert, I started running into fuel system problems. One area I go to has some large sandy hills that are rather steep. I'd get about halfway up them and the engine was starving for fuel and dying. It'd restart every time, but it was progressively running worse and worse as the day went on. I figured it was pretty obvious that I'd have to open that fuel tank back up soon. Good thing it's got an access panel for that!
Equipped with Napa Response shocks up front, a set of Monroe Max-Air's out back, and 30 X 9.5R15 Wild-somethings, she was just gliding across the sections of whoops I found that day. :P I grinned from ear to ear thinking about what it would be like to even have a decent mid travel setup. The Bronco in it's lowly form was clearly already superior in ride quality to my F-150 with the "good Rancho shocks". The stock mobbing continued for the afternoon, and eventually all this mayhem added up to a slow and painful death for the fuel pump. It screamed in agony to keep up with the fueling demands of the 10 or so miles back home at 45 mph...
I think this was the day that I decided that I had made an excellent choice, but it was going to be a long road, with a lot of work, and money spent!

madmatt1

Post by madmatt1 »

At this point of ownership, it should be noted that the Bronco had been treated to the finest $40 Ebay taillights and a set of headlights that weren't much more expensive. These aftermarket clear headlights would be a lot better if the adjusters worked better. I also used a set of LED bulbs (just something off of Amazon) and they would be pretty darn effective if the adjustment was better, I believe. That being said, the setup was cheap and still is a major improvement over the yellowed cataract inflicted headlights it previously had.
I remember seeing that there is / was a guy on this forum that made and sold a projector lamp upgrade.... if someone could put his contact info up, that'd be much appreciated!
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Guy on here who makes the headlights is Tony - "TCM GLX" is his screen name.

As for the carpet - have a look here:
http://www.gofastbroncos.com/forum/view ... &start=180
Will got the ACC carpet from Rock Auto for cheap & was happy it seems
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
Becks_Bronco
Bronco Info: 96 Eddie Bauer, 5.8

Post by Becks_Bronco »

madmatt1 wrote:I drove the Bronco around for as long as I could stand to, with the general funkiness of the interior. I shampooed and steam cleaned the seats several times, which helped immensely. I knew that the carpet was just as much, if not more of an offender in this scenario. I figured I could pull the seats and the carpet and go crazy on them with my pressure washer. Things started looking worse as I progressed...

Good interior panels are the business!! Highly recommend watching some of ACC's youtube videos on carpet installation, even if you've done it before. They had some nice tips and tricks that would have made my life a lot easier when doing my carpet.
madmatt1

Post by madmatt1 »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:Guy on here who makes the headlights is Tony - "TCM GLX" is his screen name.

As for the carpet - have a look here:
http://www.gofastbroncos.com/forum/view ... &start=180
Will got the ACC carpet from Rock Auto for cheap & was happy it seems
Awesome, thank you for that info!
As far as the carpet goes, I actually already have that done, and went with ACC from Rock Auto. (Spoiler alert! :P )
I'm just writing up the first part of this thread retroactively to get to catch up to where the Bronco sits today. It's kind of awkward but it's the best Idea I had :lol:
madmatt1

Post by madmatt1 »

At this point, I did some fuel pressure testing and came up with some hilariously low numbers, and I knew that a new pump was in order. I had no idea the surprise I was in for when the pump was pulled. I had anticipated to find varnish and / or mud, but the tank was actually full of rust. I used several sources to put together a new pump, sending unit, and hanger. The molded-in connector on the hanger had a few terminals / wires that were green and fuzzy, and the fuel gauge didn't work due to the sending unit being complete toast. I ordered a new plastic fuel tank, because why wouldn't you go that route?! I figured now was also a good time to go back to the interior, since down time was already inevitable.

madmatt1

Post by madmatt1 »

Things quickly snowball / escalate when I begin working on them. I'm sure some of you guys can relate... I tore out ALL of the interior panels because I I KNEW that there was bound to be plenty of mouse cadavers and feces to be found. Boy, was there ever. Everything got scrubbed down, I bleached what I was safely able to, and I left it sit open to air out for a few days while I waited for boxes of sound deadening material to arrive. For that, I went with the Noico mats from Amazon, and was not disappointed. The price was great, and the product was easy to work with. Would recommend! I completely covered the floor from front to rear, and went up the sides of the quarter panels as well. When the ACC carpet set showed up, I got to work on that. All in all, it was rather time consuming, but more worthwhile than I can possibly put into words. Nothing beats a fresh interior, free of odors!

Becks_Bronco
Bronco Info: 96 Eddie Bauer, 5.8

Post by Becks_Bronco »

madmatt1 wrote:Things quickly snowball / escalate when I begin working on them. I'm sure some of you guys can relate... I tore out ALL of the interior panels because I I KNEW that there was bound to be plenty of mouse cadavers and feces to be found. Boy, was there ever. Everything got scrubbed down, I bleached what I was safely able to, and I left it sit open to air out for a few days while I waited for boxes of sound deadening material to arrive. For that, I went with the Noico mats from Amazon, and was not disappointed. The price was great, and the product was easy to work with. Would recommend! I completely covered the floor from front to rear, and went up the sides of the quarter panels as well. When the ACC carpet set showed up, I got to work on that. All in all, it was rather time consuming, but more worthwhile than I can possibly put into words. Nothing beats a fresh interior, free of odors!

Carpet looks awesome! That transfer case shifter does a great job of holding down the carpet in that area.
madmatt1

Post by madmatt1 »

Carpet looks awesome! That transfer case shifter does a great job of holding down the carpet in that area.
Thanks! Yes, it definitely does help. On the flipside, getting the shifter boot & bezel to fit back on correctly is a pain in the ass, you have to cut the hole in the carpet just so! I always struggle getting those boots and bezels back on as well. I've started tossing out the sheet metal screws and using rivnuts and socket head bolts to hold them to the floor, that goes much better.
One trick I like to use when installing carpet is to put weights on areas that need to do some flattening out, or conform to humps in the floor, etc. I let it sit for a few days with weights in strategic areas and it seems to help the end result.
madmatt1

Post by madmatt1 »

Getting the new carpet in gave me a big boost in motivation to start addressing some other things I didn't like about the interior. The steering wheel was driving me crazy, for one thing. (Typical 25 year old,150,000 mile Ford leather steering wheel.) I went down to O'Reilly and picked up one of those leather steering wheel covers you stitch on, one that was a little oversized. I got some very thin sheets of what I'd call medium density foam. (Amazon) I adhered strips of that into strategic spots and sat down for an evening of stitching, which is not one of my stronger abilities. I'm not super pleased with my stitching around the spokes, but the look and feel of the steering wheel is incomparable to what it was. For a couple hours and $30.00 or so, I'd definitely go that route any day. Next time, I think I could really nail it. One day, I might do the stitching over when I'm really, really, really bored.

madmatt1

Post by madmatt1 »

.... And it looks like I have given away what came next :lol:
madmatt1

Post by madmatt1 »

hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

Steering wheel is awesome! I've never seen a kit like that at O'Reilly's. Interior came out clean and good choice on colors for the seats.