Carly's 96

RyanDS650X
Bronco Info: Autofab '96 XLT 5.8

Carly's 96

Post by RyanDS650X »

Looks good Randy! Good on you for learning a new skill.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Re: Carly's 96

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

RyanDS650X wrote:Looks good Randy! Good on you for learning a new skill.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Thank you Ryan! I'm definitely intrigued how it works. It was born from necessity. If I were to pay to have it done Carly's bronco wouldn't get up and going until after the kids move out lol.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
Becks_Bronco
Bronco Info: 96 Eddie Bauer, 5.8

Post by Becks_Bronco »

Looking good man! And there's a huge sense of pride and accomplishment knowing you just avoided $1000 in labor, and it's been done to your standards.
entity-unknown
Bronco Info: 87 Bronco 302 HO w/ MAF/AOD owned since 2001.

Post by entity-unknown »

Aww yeahz!
hobbyturnedobsession

Becks_Bronco wrote:Looking good man! And there's a huge sense of pride and accomplishment knowing you just avoided $1000 in labor, and it's been done to your standards.
Yessir! Also if it decides to make one hell of a bang I know who to blame Image. It ran me about 550 in parts but I missed stuff in certain kits I needed which had me doubling up on parts. Also I hadn't anticipated replacing the washers and spider gears in the carrier.

entity-unknown

Post by entity-unknown »

Your pattern said you won't care cuz you won't be revisiting this for a while ;)
hobbyturnedobsession

Carly's 96

Lol thank you I hope I don't. I got the shock mount wrapped with plate so now u need to stop procrastinating and cut the rivets off the driver's side. I seriously hate rivets.Image

hobbyturnedobsession

Carly's 96

I finally stopped procrastinating and knocked off the rivet heads. I'm not sure which I dislike more. Rivet heads or the crap that decides to land everywhere, including my eyes behind glasses. Anyway got all but one stingy bastard out. Anyone got ideas on how to cut the abs pump bracket? I was thinking cutting the corner out to tie in my front leg of my hoop and reinforce the bracket with 1/4" plate. Below, in red, would be where I cut out the bracket. The blue would be the 1/4" thick gusset to make up for the missing material. Image

VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

Just delete the ABS
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
hobbyturnedobsession

VintageIronFab wrote:Just delete the ABS
At this point I am choosing not to.
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
entity-unknown

Post by entity-unknown »

Yep rivets were a nightmare. This is just from the 8 rivets I had to knock out in the rear :\

Did you fab up your own hoops?
Attachments
DSC04283.JPG
DSC04283.JPG (718.16 KiB) Viewed 1365 times
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

I also hate rivets. I've done more than I ever care to admit, and as much as I hate them I truly hope I will be doing more in the future. I hope I am because that means I'd be getting to work on trucks again!!

I have a jar in the garage with the heads of all the rivets I've taken off after I decided it would be fun to keep tabs on such a random piece of info. I'd probably done 50 or more rivets before I started keeping them & I've got a broncos worth in the jar...
I've drilled them, ground them, air chiseled them, etc. Any way you go at it it sucks! And it's LOUD!

You've got them out of the way now (aside from 1??) so that is good. That means you can get back to fun stuff!

It';s hard to see your markup on the ABS bracket as the pic is a bit small here, but I think I get the idea and that should work from my point of view.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
hobbyturnedobsession

entity-unknown wrote:Yep rivets were a nightmare. This is just from the 8 rivets I had to knock out in the rear :\

Did you fab up your own hoops?
Ugh. I've tried them all different ways. I cut the heads about 4 times with a cut off wheel then out comes the cold chisel and my trusty old bfh. I am in the process of making them. It's my first attempt so yeah you can tell.

hobbyturnedobsession

ChaseTruck754 wrote:I also hate rivets. I've done more than I ever care to admit, and as much as I hate them I truly hope I will be doing more in the future. I hope I am because that means I'd be getting to work on trucks again!!

I have a jar in the garage with the heads of all the rivets I've taken off after I decided it would be fun to keep tabs on such a random piece of info. I'd probably done 50 or more rivets before I started keeping them & I've got a broncos worth in the jar...
I've drilled them, ground them, air chiseled them, etc. Any way you go at it it sucks! And it's LOUD!

You've got them out of the way now (aside from 1??) so that is good. That means you can get back to fun stuff!

It';s hard to see your markup on the ABS bracket as the pic is a bit small here, but I think I get the idea and that should work from my point of view.
I agree with you although I avoided the driver's side like the plague. Hell I rebuilt the diff before starting the driver's side. Sorry for the pic it is tough to see. I've come to the same that it'll work too. Thank you Steve!

VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

Your truck. Your decision but deleting the abs is an easy, virtually cost free project.

Rivet removal - so here is my technique that imo is pretty damn good - 40 grit flap wheel on a 4.5” grinder (with a trigger!); grind the individual head off and knock out the backside, drill out each individual hole one at a time which insures a perfect fit. I use the 40grit flap because it removes the material quickly and won’t destroy the base part.
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
hobbyturnedobsession

VintageIronFab wrote:Your truck. Your decision but deleting the abs is an easy, virtually cost free project.

Rivet removal - so here is my technique that imo is pretty damn good - 40 grit flap wheel on a 4.5” grinder (with a trigger!); grind the individual head off and knock out the backside, drill out each individual hole one at a time which insures a perfect fit. I use the 40grit flap because it removes the material quickly and won’t destroy the base part.

This won't be a race bronco. It's a bronco for my wife since she had to put up with 3 years of building my bug and dealing with the learning curve on all aspects. Plus she loved my old c/o bronco. I know my wife can handle no ABS but beings this won't be a strict off road truck, I'd rather keep some of the features. I cut the rivet heads into pie shapes then knock them out with a chisel and hammer. Unpleasant but seems to work best for me. I chase the holes with a 1/2" because ford used a mix of standard and metric sizes. It seems to be a bit random what is and what isn't standard. I'm hoping to have the drivers side hoop tacked up for cycling at the end of this weekend.
hobbyturnedobsession

Been a minute, but the engine cage is done. Hopefully I'll be able to get the front bump mounts boogered up so reassembly can happen.
Attachments
imageedit_1_3037866754.jpg
imageedit_1_3037866754.jpg (43.22 KiB) Viewed 910 times
imageedit_1_4825999981.jpg
imageedit_1_4825999981.jpg (46.41 KiB) Viewed 910 times
imageedit_1_9410551277.jpg
imageedit_1_9410551277.jpg (52.72 KiB) Viewed 910 times
imageedit_1_6915700698.jpg
imageedit_1_6915700698.jpg (51.29 KiB) Viewed 910 times
imageedit_1_2427420997.jpg
imageedit_1_2427420997.jpg (43.08 KiB) Viewed 910 times
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Good to see you still plugging away
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
hobbyturnedobsession

Yeah some house projects came up and then we were considering buying a new bronco and sell this one, then the girls racing, put this on the back burner for 6-8 months unfortunately. It worked out for the best because I made some changes having time to think it over so all in all it’s coming along. Bump stop mounts for the front are next.
Andy Jones
Bronco Info: In the Works!

Post by Andy Jones »

Hell yeah, Looks good Randy.!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dont PM me.. I don't get them on Taptalk