1996 Eddie Bauer

Becks_Bronco
Bronco Info: 96 Eddie Bauer, 5.8

Re: 1996 Eddie Bauer

Post by Becks_Bronco »

RyanDS650X wrote:You would be surprised how much steering slop comes from clapped out beam bushings... you'll have the ball joint press out anyway to do ball joints and the beam bushings might take an hour to do. Having the steering tie rods out of the way makes it much easier too. Anyway welcome back to the bronco world!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
well shit, i guess i may as well.

Thanks man! happy to be back.
Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

Stopped by GooseGear this morning, and Brian used my truck to finalize a design for a rear modular deck plate. This will be bolted to the floor, and I can secure my fridge to it, along with other tie downs or drawer modules for camping gear or tools.

Once mine is done, I believe they will be posting it up on the website. Should fit all 80-96’s. We also talked about a rear seat delete kit for a full length flat smooth floor.

Anyone that is at all interested in woodworking would love this place.

RyanDS650X
Bronco Info: Autofab '96 XLT 5.8

1996 Eddie Bauer

Post by RyanDS650X »

That's rad, good idea.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

Spent most of the day tearing my tailgate apart. My back window was going up and down crooked and binding and stalling. I could hear something had fallen off and was rattling around in the bottom.

Turns out the passenger side bottom mounting bracket that holds the regulator arm to the window glass cracked at the rivets and fell apart. Those bushings happened to be the one part I didn’t order. So I ordered that today...

Put in a new latch mechanism, new inner and outer window seals, and new window guides. Spend some time adjusting the strikers and handle mechanism, closes and opens much more easily now.

New vs old guides

New vs old latch. Looks like too many attempts to open the tailgate without rolling the window down all the way.

The gaskets at the ends of the tailgate were also completely toast. Ordered a new pair today... these tailgates are money pits.

My destroyed outer wiper seal vs the new one.
THEJESUS
Bronco Info: WHITE 1992 BRONCO XLT w/ 4" LIFT ON 35" TOYO OPEN COUNTRY'S

Post by THEJESUS »

I built a box for the back of my bronco also its perfect if you put the back seat down you can lay a small air mattress down in the back and sleep. Mine is not as nice as that one is coming out but still does the job!

where did you pick up the wiper seals? dealership wants an arm for them.
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough!
Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

THEJESUS wrote:I built a box for the back of my bronco also its perfect if you put the back seat down you can lay a small air mattress down in the back and sleep. Mine is not as nice as that one is coming out but still does the job!

where did you pick up the wiper seals? dealership wants an arm for them.
Jeff’s Bronco Graveyard, $55 for both inner and outer. Recommend grabbing the left and right weatherstrip ends while you have it apart, mine were thrashed but everything else was clean and fine.
Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

Do these trucks have a warning buzzer if you get out and leave your headlights on? I killed my battery once leaving them on over the weekend, and almost left them on after dropping it off at the retailer yesterday. No buzzer at all. Wondering if it’s just missing or broken?

Also, my e-brake warning light does not work. Is there a sensor or adjustment I need to do to get it to work?

Making a JY crawl this weekend. I’m not skilled enough to de-solder the junk capacitor in my overhead console, so I’m going to try and find a replacement board before I pony up $90 + shipping to send it out for repair. I know some people would just say fuck it, but I’m a huge sucker for OEM doo-dads, and I love having the full stock interior in good working condition.
Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

*detailer not retailer.... iPhone autocorrect + no edit sucks...
Bajaluv
Bronco Info: Bone stock, ready to build

1996 Eddie Bauer

Post by Bajaluv »

My 91 has a faint chime if headlights are left on, so yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
toddz69

Post by toddz69 »

Love the rebuild and fixes on this truck!

Todd Z.
Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

Bajaluv wrote:My 91 has a faint chime if headlights are left on, so yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Well super, get to track it down and fix that too!
Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

toddz69 wrote:Love the rebuild and fixes on this truck!

Todd Z.
Thanks! There’s so much little stuff that needs to be done. Keeps eating into my suspension budget!!
Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

Made it to the JY today, grabbed two overhead consoles out of 95-01 Explorers.

Took them out to the parking lot and plugged them into my overhead console pigtail, and they both worked!!

Once I got home I stripped the computer module and map lights out of the Explorer console and they snapped right into the Bronco console. All the screws fit right in. They’re different, but mount perfectly, and work almost identically. Score!

My bronco console is on the left with the Explorer guts in it. The extra Explorer console is on the right.
Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

Bronco main console on top with garage door opener, Explorer main console on bottom with pigtail for the sunroof control. The garage door and sunroof sections snap right into the map light/compass module.

Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

When researching this swap, I read that the explorer temp sensor was required, since the Bronco sensor and Explorer computer wouldn’t talk. I pulled what I think was the temp sensor out of one of the Explorers, but I didn’t hook it up. My temp reading seems to be about as accurate as can be expected, extra bonus!
Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

Have a pretty decent oil leak. Leaves a 3” diameter puddle when parked overnight.

I’m going to tighten all the oil pan bolts, hopefully some have just come loose and that’s it.

My front diff is also weeping, so I shot LubeLocker an email to confirm their D44 gasket first the front of the Bronco. I’ll probalt upgrade the trans pan gasket and rear diff as well. Might as well open them up and do a fluid refresh and new filter for the trans.

Fluids looked decent in the front diff and trans when I had the oil changed about two weeks ago. The rear diff was dark, but not bad.
Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

All the pan bolts are tight except for the two on the passenger side that are completely missing lol. Really hoping it's not a rear main. I'm going to saturate it in simple green and see how much that + pressure washing will clean up underneath. I've seen Ford quote $750-850 to replace the oil pan gasket. Honestly I'd rather pay them to do it than experience the nightmare I've read through on the how-to's. I'm really hoping due to all the caked on crud that this is my oil leak, and not the rear main. I don't want to pull the transmission, but i will if i have to. Leaks just suck.

Thanks to Travis (s00tlyfe) i now have a K&N intake. The filter he was running is honestly hilarious, so I'm going to order one of the Volant PowerCore filters. Should be enough for putzing around the desert.

I am also ordering 9mm Ford Racing plug wires, Motorcraft Coil, and Motorcraft distributor cap with all new copper plugs. The 5.8 runs pretty damn well, but it never hurts to get a good baseline on important stuff like the ignition system.

I got a great price on LubeLocker gaskets for the front and rear diffs, as well as the transmission, so at the very least the trans will be getting a new filter and new fluid. Is there any truth to the myth that flushing the trans will cause it to fail prematurely?

The badass Donaldson/Volant filter;
Attachments
3719c.jpg
3719c.jpg (13.73 KiB) Viewed 1320 times
3719b.jpg
3719b.jpg (11.82 KiB) Viewed 1320 times
3719a.jpg
3719a.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 1320 times
toddz69

Post by toddz69 »

I looked at that filter or one similar to it for a few years - wondering if it had enough capacity for my 5.0. Somewhere I found its original application to be a 4 cyl car.

Last fall, I decided ask the Volant guys about it at SEMA. I stopped in their booth and explained my application to them and the use of this filter. They agreed that it is probably undersized for what we want it to do.

Food for thought.

Todd Z.
Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

toddz69 wrote:I looked at that filter or one similar to it for a few years - wondering if it had enough capacity for my 5.0. Somewhere I found its original application to be a 4 cyl car.

Last fall, I decided ask the Volant guys about it at SEMA. I stopped in their booth and explained my application to them and the use of this filter. They agreed that it is probably undersized for what we want it to do.

Food for thought.

Todd Z.
Interesting, it's marketed as an "off-road / heavy duty" filter, and it's quite large at; Flange ID: 6.0" Height: 8.0" Dia.: 8.0"
toddz69

Post by toddz69 »

Ok - that’s larger than the one I was looking at. Mine was more like 7-8” long, 5-6” diameter and 3.5” flange diameter. Maybe you’ll be just fine!

Todd Z.