1996 Eddie Bauer

hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

1996 Eddie Bauer

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

I was looking into those after seeing your setup. I was thinking I don't need some of the flashier stuff but not having a bunch of relays and excessive wiring and the display with setup is really nice.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
Becks_Bronco
Bronco Info: 96 Eddie Bauer, 5.8

Re: 1996 Eddie Bauer

Post by Becks_Bronco »

hobbyturnedobsession wrote:I was looking into those after seeing your setup. I was thinking I don't need some of the flashier stuff but not having a bunch of relays and excessive wiring and the display with setup is really nice.

You could do the more simple system, with the push button panel;

https://www.4x4spod.com/universal_8_cir ... w_hd_panel

I got a screaming deal on the touchscreen version, like 40% off, so i snagged it. Otherwise i probably would not have gone for the fancy fancy version.
mobil1syn
Bronco Info: 1996 - operation mijo hauler

Post by mobil1syn »

hobbyturnedobsession wrote:I was looking into those after seeing your setup. I was thinking I don't need some of the flashier stuff but not having a bunch of relays and excessive wiring and the display with setup is really nice.

i have a switch-pros and love it as well. basically the same thing as the spod but the controller was slightly smaller and fit perfect where the push button tcase controls go since i have a manual tcase. rocker switches are thing of the past. no reason to use them anymore with these solid state options.
mobil1syn
Bronco Info: 1996 - operation mijo hauler

Post by mobil1syn »

Becks_Bronco wrote:Found out the lower radiator hose is wrong for trucks with the oil cooler built into the lower hose. The 90° and the proper lower hose together cost me another $140ish, and the guys at Johnny Lightning had to go pick them up for me. Felt like a dummy and it cost me extra $$
is there a fancy blue option out there or did you just get a black one? i am assuming that was because you have the inline heat exchanger?
Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

mobil1syn wrote:
Becks_Bronco wrote:Found out the lower radiator hose is wrong for trucks with the oil cooler built into the lower hose. The 90° and the proper lower hose together cost me another $140ish, and the guys at Johnny Lightning had to go pick them up for me. Felt like a dummy and it cost me extra $$
is there a fancy blue option out there or did you just get a black one? i am assuming that was because you have the inline heat exchanger?
No fancy blue option that i'm aware of, we just did the standard black one down low because yes, i have the inline heat exchanger.
Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

I started this project April 24th, and finished it Tuesday. Probably the longest Auto to Manual hub conversion on record lol.

Cap off, spent 3 days fighting with the damn main snap rings...

What fails in these? Nothing broken, missing, or exceptionally worn?

Guts out, cleaned out the schmoo and slathered it all in new Timken wheel bearing grease.

Shiny.... Side note, my last set of Warn Premiums were stiff, and this set is the same. The driver's side is quite difficult to rotate the last 1/2 - 1/4". Common thing? Passenger seems easier. My Tacoma slid in like butter.
toddz69

Post by toddz69 »

I've often found that to be the case with Warns. I recently switched back to MileMarker premiums and am happier with them.

Todd Z.
Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

Been hunting down some cooling issues. Found my coolant reservoir empty. Topped it off, and the cooling issues lessened, but developed a leak somewhere in the radiator core. Must have had something to do with actually building pressure. Decided to replace the radiator, and do a new fan clutch while it was all out. Had my suspicions that the clutch was getting weak anyways...

Clutch, fan, and shroud out, coolant draining.

Radiator out.
Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

New radiator back in, filled, and the clutch was definitely bad. I can hear the fan full tilt all the way through first, halfway through second, and the AC is perfect even at idle.

That condensation volume tells you how frigid the system is now.
Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

While i was in there eliminating the throttle body coolant lines, i found that the coolant temp sensor was broken, and had been rtv'd back together by the PO, or maybe even Johnny Lightning's when they did all my hoses. Hopefully not the latter.

Quick trip to the dealer, and it now has a shiny new motorcraft replacement.

Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

Capped off TB coolant lines.

Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

I've also been battling some awful door panel rattles. Travis and i were talking about using nutserts and bolts to clamp them down, so i decided to give it a try on the passenger door.

Drilled a hole behind the door handle, in the map pocket (ended up being a bad call, oops) and opened up the hole in the armrest.
Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

Also opened up the hole in the door pull bracket, and installed a nutsert there, as well as behind the door handle hole.

Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

Grabbed some stainless 1/4-20 hardware and some anodized aluminum washers I've had lying around, and sandwiched those in. I also replaced all of the ancient Christmas tree clips on the back of the door panel.

The result is a dead silent door panel, no rattles, no squeaks, nothing. Solid and quiet. Soooooo much nicer to drive now.

Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

ended up with a leak at the factory hard line adaptor into the lower radiator connection, snowballed into mostly new trans cooler lines....

This is what i ended up doing;

5/16 tube nut/sleeve to -6an adaptor. Used the factory hardline from the trans to just below the fan shroud.

5/16 flare to 3/8 pushlock on factory cooler

all 3/8 pushlock
Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

Lines should be easier to service now. Should be...

24hours
Bronco Info: looking for a white, ex-police 5.8 with brown interior (Found!) 1996, 5.8 XL

Post by 24hours »

Which radiator did you go with?
Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

24hours wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:02 pm
Which radiator did you go with?
Mishimoto.

It was their fittings that caused the problems.
24hours
Bronco Info: looking for a white, ex-police 5.8 with brown interior (Found!) 1996, 5.8 XL

Post by 24hours »

Good to know, I’m shopping for a new radiator right now. I think I’m leaning towards an all aluminum Champion.
Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

24hours wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:45 am
Good to know, I’m shopping for a new radiator right now. I think I’m leaning towards an all aluminum Champion.
Definitely cant go wrong with them, only ever heard great things.