1996 Eddie Bauer

VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Re: 1996 Eddie Bauer

Post by VintageIronFab »

Were you the one that commented quite awhile back about maluna coolers?
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
Becks_Bronco
Bronco Info: 96 Eddie Bauer, 5.8

Post by Becks_Bronco »

VintageIronFab wrote:Were you the one that commented quite awhile back about maluna coolers?
Possibly, I've had mine since it was a prototype. I absolutely love it.
Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

Small project yesterday, while i work up the motivation to tear the interior back apart...

The factory underhood light leaves a lot to be desired, and i had a Baja Designs dome light sitting around from my Tacoma that i sold. Thought it would be a perfect replacement. Since the factory wiring is constant hot, the dome light having a built in switch works out perfectly.

Funny that nubreed posted his version with a KC light recently as well, but he ran his wiring much more nicely than i did lol.

Factory pigtail removed.

Cut off the factory plug and spliced it into my BD Dome light pigtail.

New light and harness, w/factory connection

Mounted using the included BD hardware, and a pair of nutserts. Used one of the factory holes, drilled the second one. Easy install.
Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

Mounted up my Yaesu UHF/VHF radio head unit to the trim above the windshield using some Ram Mount products. The Yaesu HU uses M5 threads, which is apparently kind of a weird size, so there's no direct fit stuff from Ram Mount. This little online shop called Hudd Expo (they do Land Cruiser stuff) thankfully sells an M5 Ram Mount adaptor kit, sweet!

Tucked the wires up for the sPod SE head unit that will also share real estate above the mirror, but a little closer to the driver.

Yaesu HU control cable, and sPod control cable wrapped together for their run up the passenger a-pillar, and behind the upper headliner trim.

Yaesu HU

Hudd Expo Ram adaptor, with ram arm.

Ram ball mounted to headliner trim. Super convenient that it's made of steel...

View from driver's seat, more or less.

Yaesu HU has convenient cable management built into the back side. No need for zip ties or anything.

Tucks up into the space pretty nicely.
entity-unknown
Bronco Info: 87 Bronco 302 HO w/ MAF/AOD owned since 2001.

Post by entity-unknown »

I like the GPS location above the mirror vs. having to look down and lose focus. Very clean and not distracting :)

I almost went with a single point of light for the hood bay but I decided to use some waterproof LED strips instead. As you said, it's a constant hot wire so I spliced in my LED light strip switch so I now have an on/off button so they're on when I want.

I attached magnets to each strip and put them on the fender rails for the hood to rest on. So if I wanna go mall crawler, I can light em up and set em to the color I want and the light shows through the hood edges but really what matters is they stay in place and since they're located at all 4 points with long wires, I can move them around, stick em where I want, and/or use em as light sticks. They're long enough that I can pull a stick and check the front of my timing cover or anywhere on the sides/back of the block. I can even light up the fuel injectors under the plenum :)

Here's the LED strip set I got:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WW ... UTF8&psc=1
entity-unknown

Post by entity-unknown »

Sometimes you need a pic to tell the story :)
Attachments
IMG_20200309_031237118.jpg
IMG_20200309_031237118.jpg (692.46 KiB) Viewed 2680 times
Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

Those underhood strips are nice! I thought about going that way, and copying what i had on my Tacoma. I don't have any pictures handy, but i used a plunger switch, so it came on automatically when you popped the hood, and turned off when you shut it.
entity-unknown

Post by entity-unknown »

Smart! I have a fiberglass hood so I lost the "pop the hood n turn the light on" function since it's grounded through the hood steel. I think my hood is open more than I drive it too so I'd say my battery is happier but that plunger idea is good if shit stops breakin :D
Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

entity-unknown wrote:Smart! I have a fiberglass hood so I lost the "pop the hood n turn the light on" function since it's grounded through the hood steel. I think my hood is open more than I drive it too so I'd say my battery is happier but that plunger idea is good if shit stops breakin :D
Interesting, the older ones must be different. Mine had a 2 wire pigtail, and i put the plunger on the fender. It would be in the core support.
Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

Drooopy wrote: Quick tip on the electrical. Best connectors I have ever found. Bit pricey, but so easy, fast and done completely right. We use several thousand rings and butt connectors a month at work.

http://www.nspa.com/sealedcrimpandsolder.html
Just ordered a bunch of their terminals to use as connectors at my sPod source. Thanks for the link!
Drooopy
Bronco Info: 94 XLT 351W/E4OD Mostly Stock

Post by Drooopy »

Glad I could help. I just finished a stock order of them myself yesterday. Shop has been going through the ring terminals like they are eating them for candy.
Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

Wrapped up the wiring for the underhood light. Not as pretty and clean as Nubreed's, but it'll work. I used the little zip-tie anchors with double sided tape on them. I've never had luck with the tape holding up, it always falls off and the adhesive fills with dirt instantly, and never sticks again. I peeled the tape off and glued them on with a little epoxy. Should hold it.

Apologies for my dirty hood :oops:

Pickuptrucker
Bronco Info: 1982 c6, 9" gears, lockers,

Post by Pickuptrucker »

Zip tie things look good
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

1996 Eddie Bauer

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

Did you by chance use the peel and stick ones? If so you'll want a tech screw or rivet those also. They don't stick for long.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

hobbyturnedobsession wrote:Did you by chance use the peel and stick ones? If so you'll want a tech screw or rivet those also. They don't stick for long.

Yes, but i peeled off the peel and stick bit because you're right, they never stick for long. I glued them on with epoxy. They shouldn't be going anywhere.
hobbyturnedobsession

Becks_Bronco wrote:
hobbyturnedobsession wrote:Did you by chance use the peel and stick ones? If so you'll want a tech screw or rivet those also. They don't stick for long.

Yes, but i peeled off the peel and stick bit because you're right, they never stick for long. I glued them on with epoxy. They shouldn't be going anywhere.
That'll work!

Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

Finished up the mounts for both the sPod control head, and my radio control head now that i got all the correct parts in from Ram Mounts. I'm really liking how clean it all worked out, and how out of the way they are. Also discovered that they conveniently fill the gap above the mirror that the sun visors can't fill.

Pickuptrucker
Bronco Info: 1982 c6, 9" gears, lockers,

Post by Pickuptrucker »

Wow super. Clean install dude, looks good!
hobbyturnedobsession

Looking good! How do you like the sPod?
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

hobbyturnedobsession wrote:Looking good! How do you like the sPod?
I had their original setup with 6 circuits that required actual fuses and relays for each one, with manual rocker switches in the cab. I absolutely loved it.

This newer version is 8 circuits, all solid state, so no relays or fuses to mess with. In addition, the control head has a lot of options like dimming and strobe settings on the fly, off-road/on-road modes to lock out certain accessories etc.

It makes wiring up aftermarket stuff so painless, i will probably never go back to normal wiring.