1996 Eddie Bauer

Becks_Bronco
Bronco Info: 96 Eddie Bauer, 5.8

Re: 1996 Eddie Bauer

Post by Becks_Bronco »

Bftank wrote:
ChaseTruck754 wrote:
Bftank wrote:ill have to remember that, i wouldnt have expected that kind of quality from rockauto
RockAuto has all levels, from good stuff to crap. Just had to order some O2 sensors for my Tundra and anything but Denso throws them off supposedly. Rockauto had denso for WAY cheaper than Vatozone, O'Reilly, etc. Even cheaper (for 2 of the 4 at least) than straight from Denso. They also had super budget level sensors available. Funny thing was 2 of the 4 sensors I had to buy were cheaper straight from Denso. Go figure.
Good to know, i have a couple customers with Tundras. weird that they were cheaper from the manufacturer.
Full carpet kit from ACC is like $500. IDENTICAL kit from Rock Auto was $250. It's ACC brand and drop shipped from ACC lol. go figure.
Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

Well, i'm glad i decided to go ahead and replace the old head unit. Not all of the functions worked reliably. I discovered the hack job install some previous owner did... I will never understand why people cheap out on a $25 harness from somewhere like Crutchfield. Makes things plug and play, and nothing is irreversible.

unclipped zip ties and electrical tape... oh joy.

"Bypassed" the factory head unit plug. Again, why???

"Bypassed" the factory amp.

Under the electrical tape... Better than just a knot tied i guess?
Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

Cut off all the junk wiring. Kept as much length as i possibly could. Did i mention i hate hack job installs? It would have been 10x easier to just get the plug and play harness. RAGE.

Started splicing in the factory wires for power and ground. Printed a cross reference checklist for myself so i could easily double check to make sure i was splicing into the right wires. Ran my RCA cables for the pre-amp signals and the remote turn-on wire. Wish i had pre-run this one under the carpet to keep things clean. I could probably omit it, as the amp is supposed to be signal sensing, but redundancy in an off road rig wont hurt.

Since I'm running all speaker power/signal through the amp, I only needed the switched hot, constant hot, ground, and remote trigger. Clipped back and insulated all of the speaker signal wires from the Kenwood harness.

Also capped off what was left of the factory amp harness and 3 wires i can't use. One was the factory illumination/dimmer input. The other two i couldn't identify, so i guess they're not important :lol:

All put back together! The amp is mounted to the center console bracket, so this will all be hidden once i get around to installing that.
Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

Since the Bronco was all in one piece again, I drove it home for the weekend to start putting some miles on it and identify any gremlins, or other maintenance issues.

Discovered some electrical problems that i believe are pointing to my battery giving up the ghost after being left sitting for 8 months. I also think my alternator was on it's last legs, and has now become the "squeaky wheel". Picked up a new motorcraft battery based on Philo's recommendation, and ordered a PowerMaster 140amp 3G alternator. Once the truck is back from Desolate, i will probably attempt to tackle upgrading all of the battery cables.
madmatt1
Bronco Info: 1995 White XLT, daily driven work in progress.

Post by madmatt1 »

Nice execution on mounting the amplifier! I can't wait to see this all done. Think I'll be copying some of your ideas! :P
Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

madmatt1 wrote:Nice execution on mounting the amplifier! I can't wait to see this all done. Think I'll be copying some of your ideas! :P
Thanks! Please do!
Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

In my run-up to the Bronco's first real trip, I've been exercising all of the systems. Windows, HVAC, transmission, engine all work fantastic for 25 years old.

However, my 4x4 is giving me a not so fuzzy feeling. First thing in the morning, everything cold, I push the 4x4 button on my dash, and the light on the button comes on, i hear the relays etc click in the dash, but no 4x4 light comes on. 70-75mph all the way to work for 30 miles, and actuating the 4x4 below 55mph results in a distinct engagement feel, and front drivetrain whir, with the correct 4x4 light illuminating on the dash. Anytime in the afternoon, 4x4 engages no problem, all the proper lights and sounds.

Is there a computer engaging the transfer case that doesn't like that the truck isn't up to operating temp or something? I always thought these trucks were pretty rudimentary, meaning you push the 4x4 button on the dash, and the actuator shoves the transfer case into gear. No fancy speed or torque inputs etc.
Bftank
Bronco Info: 1996 bronco 6 inch dick cepek front, deavers in the rear

Post by Bftank »

thats been my experience with my push button tcase in my 96. sometimes there is a short wait while the gears line up to mesh, but thats it. nothing over a minute or two. even in the winter.
@outdoorexplorationgear on Instagram, focused on Krustythebronco, building a towrig, creating a prerunner/rockcrawler business.
Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

Bftank wrote:thats been my experience with my push button tcase in my 96. sometimes there is a short wait while the gears line up to mesh, but thats it. nothing over a minute or two. even in the winter.
Ah, good to know. There was a short delay this morning, but it engaged within 50 ft. Nearly instant from that point forward.
Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

Boring updates, bit the bullet and drilled the holes i had marked out on the roof. Ignore the masking tape glue mess and my blasted clear coat.

Fancy fancy weather caps for when the antennae are off.

Cables run up the b-pillar behind the trim, under the carpet, and behind the cab to shell trim. Routed up through the dome light hole.

Now you see em, now you don't...

Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

140 amp alternator installed.

Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

Guys, i'm in love...

The crew at Desolate did their thing, installed all new Napa Blue ball joints, heavy duty upgraded steering, and their Stage 1.5 kit with dual 5100's up front, and 5165's in the rear.

While they had the front end apart cleaning, painting, and installing, Greg noticed my front brake pads were pretty worn, so he resurfaced my rotors and slapped on new pads at just the cost of pads. That's some serious above and beyond attention to detail and customer service i really appreciate. Can't wait to take it out and enjoy it.

Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

Also, as much as i love being told how clean my bronco is, jokes on them, it's actually filthy lol

ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Looking good!
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
RyanDS650X
Bronco Info: Autofab '96 XLT 5.8

1996 Eddie Bauer

Post by RyanDS650X »

Looks good Will!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
mobil1syn
Bronco Info: 1996 - operation mijo hauler

Post by mobil1syn »

is there room to connect the radius arm brackets with that trans pan? i bought one and there was no way i could fit it without some serious rework, curious if desolates runs theirs farther back then others
Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

mobil1syn wrote:is there room to connect the radius arm brackets with that trans pan? i bought one and there was no way i could fit it without some serious rework, curious if desolates runs theirs farther back then others
Maybe? Might be suuuper tight. Could always put a slight bend a few inches from each end so the brace makes a really shallow \________/ shape.
madmatt1
Bronco Info: 1995 White XLT, daily driven work in progress.

Post by madmatt1 »

I saw the Bronco on Desolate's Instagram this morning and knew right away who's it was! :)
It looks AWESOME!! Let the fun begin!
Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

madmatt1 wrote:I saw the Bronco on Desolate's Instagram this morning and knew right away who's it was! :)
It looks AWESOME!! Let the fun begin!
Thanks man! She got an oil change, power steering flush/fill, and rear diff service this morning.

Going to drop it off at Johnny Lightning Monday morning to have all the coolant hoses replaced.
Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

Bronco is at Johnny Lightning, should be done this afternoon. They'll replace the upper and lower rad hoses, since the upper has some nicks in it from the fan, and the lower as seen better days. Steve over there already knew to zip tie the upper to the radiator. Also replacing the heater hoses while the system is more of less drained just for piece of mind, and any others that they can easily knock out.

They also said they'd just go through it and call me if anything else needed attention. I'm sure i'll hear about the oil pan lol. Hopefully the rest checks out more or less fine.