krustythebronco a series of facepalms lol

Becks_Bronco
Bronco Info: 96 Eddie Bauer, 5.8

Re: krustythebronco a series of facepalms lol

Post by Becks_Bronco »

I saw your post on Instagram and read your write-up, i might have to do the reinforcement as cheap insurance while i have the doors apart to do sound deadening and diagnosing a weird rattle in the passenger door.
Bftank
Bronco Info: 1996 bronco 6 inch dick cepek front, deavers in the rear

Post by Bftank »

Becks_Bronco wrote:I saw your post on Instagram and read your write-up, i might have to do the reinforcement as cheap insurance while i have the doors apart to do sound deadening and diagnosing a weird rattle in the passenger door.
awesome! thanks for checking it out. definitely a good idea. :D
@outdoorexplorationgear on Instagram, focused on Krustythebronco, building a towrig, creating a prerunner/rockcrawler business.
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

Looking great bud. Budget builds are fun. Fab work looks great. It'll be a fun toy when your finished.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
Bftank

Post by Bftank »

hobbyturnedobsession wrote:Looking great bud. Budget builds are fun. Fab work looks great. It'll be a fun toy when your finished.

thanks! it has been a great learning experience for me.
@outdoorexplorationgear on Instagram, focused on Krustythebronco, building a towrig, creating a prerunner/rockcrawler business.
Bftank

Post by Bftank »

Its been awhile since I updated this. I did get the exhaust done, used an exhaust for an excursion with the flowmaster y pipe. Seems to be doing fine so far. Still need to get the rear shocks done, but it is registered and insured. I had my boy
move the bronco out of the shop after i got the exhaust in. He was pretty excited. The video is him driving it with some vroom vroom.
[youtube]https://youtu.be/gRV4VlPUUQI[/youtube]

Still have lots of little things to do. Trying to take it to King of the Hammers next month. The major items i need to get done are
-figure out why the speedometer isn't getting a signal, which is also causing hard shifting.
-get oil and nitrogen in rear shocks.
-get electronics on drivers side wheel well supported, since the wheel well is missing.
-itd be nice to get some bumpers done and an air system setup for the front locker, but im just planning on cruising this out there so if it happens great, if not, meh.
20200113_161314.jpg
20200113_161314.jpg (188.31 KiB) Viewed 1568 times
I was hoping to tow Krusty with the yellow truck to koh, but its not going to happen. Colorado wants to much for me to register it right now, and its geared way to low for my taste. Top speed is 55-60, which is no fun going across Utah when everyone else is doing 90mph.
Bftank

Post by Bftank »

since i havent figured out how to embed a youtube video yet, here is the link. if anyone has tips, im all ears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRV4VlP ... e=youtu.be
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Nice! I bet your son was smiling for a week after that.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
hobbyturnedobsession

It's always awesome to get the kids involved in one fashion or another. That's good parenting.

Bftank

Post by Bftank »

hobbyturnedobsession wrote:It's always awesome to get the kids involved in one fashion or another. That's good parenting.

ChaseTruck754 wrote:Nice! I bet your son was smiling for a week after that.
thanks for the support guys! He had a blast, he is super excited about being able to drive someday and to get started building his 71f100. He talked me into downloading a game called "Scrap Mechanics", where you can build vehicles tune shocks, engines etc. great game to get involved with your kids regarding the engineering of how things work. it didnt like the TTB rig i tried building in there though. turned the axles into helicopter blades because it didnt know what to do with all the pivot points. :lol:
Bftank

Post by Bftank »

I went through the rear shocks today, took out the pistons and checked fluid levels. Set the piston height in the reservoir, reassembled and pressured them back up to 200 psi.
20200128_121708.jpg
20200128_121708.jpg (193.12 KiB) Viewed 1449 times
The only weird thing I noticed was that the shims were a little different from one shock to another on the rebound side. Same number of shims, for both shocks. Compression side looks the same though. I'm just going to run them for now, save up to replace them with some bypass shocks.
20200128_115719.jpg
20200128_115719.jpg (147.93 KiB) Viewed 1449 times
20200128_105308.jpg
20200128_105308.jpg (161.89 KiB) Viewed 1449 times
After that I got the whole mess mounted up, with the reservoirs clamped and everything. its tight with the exhaust, but it looks like its going to work.
20200128_152129.jpg
20200128_152129.jpg (188.24 KiB) Viewed 1449 times
20200128_152013.jpg
20200128_152013.jpg (214.26 KiB) Viewed 1449 times
hobbyturnedobsession

The third shim in the bottom picture isn't the right diameter. The side with the slim shim (hahaha) is going to be softer since the top two have the ability to bend more (at least I would think).

Bftank

Post by Bftank »

This is an older pic of mocking up a rear bumper for the bronco. I plan on using the tube bumper as an air tank for the locker. Im hoping to get this put together before we leave for king of the hammers this weekend.
IMG_20191003_085210_754.jpg
IMG_20191003_085210_754.jpg (154.38 KiB) Viewed 1459 times
I am having some issues that I would really appreciate your guys help with troubleshooting. I cant get the speedometer to work. i thought it was a cut ground wire on the abs module, so I looked up the thread on here about bypassing the module and did that as seen below.
20200124_143039.jpg
20200124_143039.jpg (268.98 KiB) Viewed 1459 times
unfortunately there is still no signal. i checked on the fuses in the interior fuse panel, all lit up with my test light, including 8 and 18. I changed out the vehicle speed sensor in the diff, because the old one looked like it had shrapnel in it. Still no signal. I have had the battery unhooked to reset whatever, nothing. I've tested for voltage in the wires by the vss and I get 63 millivolts in one wire, and 11 millivolts in the other wire. I have been looking all over youtube, and forums trying to find new ideas to look for and havent come up with anything else. maybe i'm missing something not sure. Not having a signal to the speedometer is making the transmission shift super hard, and I dont want to mess that up. So if you guys have any suggestions to look for or try I am all ears.
Bftank

Post by Bftank »

hobbyturnedobsession wrote:The third shim in the bottom picture isn't the right diameter. The side with the slim shim (hahaha) is going to be softer since the top two have the ability to bend more (at least I would think).

That's what I was thinking. they were supposed to be brand new shocks from Walker Evans that I bought through a racer that they sponsor. There has been some weird stuff with them though. One of them was low on oil, and had nothing in it for nitrogen. So im pretty sure at least one of them has been messed with.
BDKW1
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!

Post by BDKW1 »

Looks more like they put the #3 shim between 1&2 to make a limited flutter stack. It looks like there is a gap between 1&2.
hobbyturnedobsession

But why only one shock?

Bftank

Post by Bftank »

I started on the front bumper today. The winch mount was the first part I wanted to get done, because it will be buried under the skidplate and bumper. I had an idea in my mind to try and get this as tucked in as possible and close to frame height for strong pulls during recovery, but back far enough so that I could still get a decent approach angle. It is bolted to the sway bar mounting holes, and the back side of the original bumper brackets. It is not very pretty at this point, but it is strong. and fairly light weight considering. Im not going to run the roller fairlead in the position pictured, it just hangs down too far. Eventually I want to get winch rope and an aluminum hawse to help with the ground clearance. Im going to work on the rest of the bumper after KOH. for right now this at least gives me a spot to hook a strap too if i need a recovery, or need to help someone else.
20200129_153250.jpg
20200129_153250.jpg (124.57 KiB) Viewed 1411 times
20200129_153328.jpg
20200129_153328.jpg (127.68 KiB) Viewed 1411 times
20200129_105419.jpg
20200129_105419.jpg (97.22 KiB) Viewed 1411 times
20200129_160414.jpg
20200129_160414.jpg (116.83 KiB) Viewed 1411 times
IMG_20200129_160757.jpg
IMG_20200129_160757.jpg (119.99 KiB) Viewed 1411 times
IMG_20200129_160948.jpg
IMG_20200129_160948.jpg (118.62 KiB) Viewed 1411 times
as far as the speedometer issue goes, I think I have a plan for testing. Ive got the rear up on jack stand, and ill put it in gear to get the tires moving. Then test at the splice bypassing the ABS to see if i have a voltage reading there between the two input wires. if i dont, then i know it is upstream of that point. If I do have voltage there then I know that the speedometer isnt getting the voltage between that point and the speedo. Should work, fingers crossed anyways.
mustacheride
Bronco Info: 90' OJ Style

Post by mustacheride »

Have you checked to see if the sensor is good? You should have some resistance (170-270 ohms is what a quick google says) across the two pins on the vss. If thats good, test the wiring at the next location and see if you're getting similar readings. If good there, move further down the system. You will need a wiring schematic to know where the splices/connections are made.

Heres a good write up on it, but it looks like the schematic links are broken: https://www.fullsizebronco.com/threads/ ... ix.192681/
Bftank

Post by Bftank »

mustacheride wrote:Have you checked to see if the sensor is good? You should have some resistance (170-270 ohms is what a quick google says) across the two pins on the vss. If thats good, test the wiring at the next location and see if you're getting similar readings. If good there, move further down the system. You will need a wiring schematic to know where the splices/connections are made.

Heres a good write up on it, but it looks like the schematic links are broken: https://www.fullsizebronco.com/threads/ ... ix.192681/
thanks i will check that tomorrow. i checked to see if the vss made voltage when metal was passed acrossed it, and it did. i didnt think to check the ohms on it. Also thanks for the link, that one hadnt come up in my searches for some reason.
Bftank

Post by Bftank »

well the speedometer is functional again. 100% my fault. when i put the diff together a year ago, i either totally space putting the tone ring in with the locker, or made plans to relocate the vss, which i later forgot. either way, dumb move on my part. tone ring is installed now, and speedometer works. :lol:
Becks_Bronco
Bronco Info: 96 Eddie Bauer, 5.8

Post by Becks_Bronco »

Bftank wrote:well the speedometer is functional again. 100% my fault. when i put the diff together a year ago, i either totally space putting the tone ring in with the locker, or made plans to relocate the vss, which i later forgot. either way, dumb move on my part. tone ring is installed now, and speedometer works. :lol:
Simple fixes are the best.