Rugged Radios Stretched Bronco - Factory Race Support, Tacos, and Coffee!

SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Rugged Radios Stretched Bronco - Factory Race Support, Tacos, and Coffee!

Post by SteveG »

PaulW wrote:Buy Pauls Bronco....
We did! Thank you for building such a great truck.

Thanks to Bondobob for letting such a gem go!

So the cat is out of the bag and Wilson will be in Baja for the 2019 Baja 1000, touring for tacos and helping provide communication tech support to anyone that needs it.

This is an impressive build that has seen countless Baja miles and adventure. Probably pulled more cars off race courses than a lot of other rigs out together? I've lusted over this truck for years and, now, my employer owns it and I get to play... uhhh, I mean WORK in it. Anyway, we did a very quick and dirty refresh of critical items and will get to the details later.

I wish I had time to give this truck the post it deserves, but there’s still packing to do and I hope to get a few hours of much-needed sleep tonight as we head out in the morning I’ll fill in the details later. Thanks for reading. Stay tuned!

Here’s a few pics to whet the appetite... stay tuned!
C7ACC2E2-A440-456A-871D-C00514174F24.jpeg
C7ACC2E2-A440-456A-871D-C00514174F24.jpeg (396.41 KiB) Viewed 4216 times
28073CE2-0310-4C3E-BA22-E8F8A83E51F5.jpeg
28073CE2-0310-4C3E-BA22-E8F8A83E51F5.jpeg (363.27 KiB) Viewed 4216 times
CD94AA73-2136-41C5-B1BA-FAF474FE458F.jpeg
CD94AA73-2136-41C5-B1BA-FAF474FE458F.jpeg (559.02 KiB) Viewed 4216 times
Sho nuff,
SteveG
funinthesun95
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco MAF UsShift

Re: Stretched GFB by Rugged-Wilson is back!

Post by funinthesun95 »

Nice
Good people + Great info = GFB
@csracingteam
@Cockstarmotorsports
Nick
Founder
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target

Post by Nick »

Sweet!
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Rad!!! So I guess disregard my comment/question in Chris' bronco thread.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

I'll add that most of us can only DREAM about having a "work" vehicle like this. I see your name on the door and everything! Super jealous over here!!
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
toddz69

Post by toddz69 »

Cool! And I guess having the name on the door is just the icing on the cake.

Todd Z.
BDKW1
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!

Post by BDKW1 »

It's not the same without the mail truck pinstripes.

Good to see it still has the Alcoas on it.
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

BDKW1 wrote:Good to see it still has the Alcoas on it.
We looked at a lot of wheels but nothing we’ve come across fits the truck as well as the OE Alcoas do.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

Have fun at the race. Look for you if you are near an Felipe.
Boy I sure miss that GPS.
Bondobob
Bronco Info: 1987 XLT 5.0 in the family since new in May of 1987

Stretched GFB by Rugged-Wilson is back!

Post by Bondobob »

My wife and I had a blast with Wilson..I proposed to her on a Playa north of ErenderiaImageImageImage

I was glad to have the opportunity to enjoy this iconic Baja Rig. So “Wilson” is in her next chapter now... I still have my 1987 White One so I’m not without a Bronco and some of Wilson’s parts are being resurrected on my Bronco.....
Bondobob
Bronco Info: 1987 XLT 5.0 in the family since new in May of 1987

Post by Bondobob »

I keep finding more pictures of Wilson on the internet from her time with PaulImageImage
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

Steve's 2wd Blazer and the stretch Bronco at Coyote Cal's marking for SCORE.
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Post by cs_drums »

I think I eyeballed that Blazer like 20 years ago. Random awesome truck parked in my neighborhood. Does it have quarter elliptical a in the rear with a coil on menzini arm in the rear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BDKW1

Post by BDKW1 »

PaulW wrote:Steve's 2wd Blazer and the stretch Bronco at Coyote Cal's marking for SCORE.
Where was Chris and Todd's? Pretty sure we were all on that trip.
BDKW1

Post by BDKW1 »

cs_drums wrote:I think I eyeballed that Blazer like 20 years ago. Random awesome truck parked in my neighborhood. Does it have quarter elliptical a in the rear with a coil on menzini arm in the rear?
Mezi, has air shocks to add spring rate when needed.
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

Bondobob wrote:My wife and I had a blast with Wilson..I proposed to her on a Playa north of Erenderia...

I was glad to have the opportunity to enjoy this iconic Baja Rig. So “Wilson” is in her next chapter now... I still have my 1987 White One so I’m not without a Bronco and some of Wilson’s parts are being resurrected on my Bronco.....
Love this, Brother. So happy for the two of you and so happy that I get to play in Wilson now!
Sho nuff,
SteveG
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

Before I expand more, I have to say, this is an INCREDIBLE truck. I've known about it for a long time and have always known it handled well. After taking it out and prerunning some ROUGH sections of the 1000, course... WOW! It exceeded my expectations in every single way. At one point, I ran down what had to be a $250,000 prerunner in Wilson. To say it was an absolute blast is an understatement. Bechard and I couldn't stop grinning after that run. Hell, we even hugged our boss when we stopped after that run!

Anyway, before it's maiden voyage (with us), we wanted to update a few things and just do a quick check to make sure it was good for a quick prerun and running around Baja before the 1000. It was a scramble toward the end, and we didn't think we were going to get it back together in time, but everyone kicked it into high-gear and we got a lot done in a few weeks. As is usual with off-roading, we were working on it right up until we loaded it on the trailer.

Updates so far are front and rear bumpers, lights (on bumpers), a quick chassis and suspension check that revealed a few cracks (which were repaired) and a rebuild of 6 shocks and 4 bump stops. All bumps and the rear shocks seem good to go, but the right front shock is still leaking at the front cap, despite being sealed and inspected twice. I'm guessing there's a crack we didn't catch. We also removed the interior fuel tank, installed a new radio, antenna cables/mounts, and intercom. Oh yeah, we also relocated the batteries. They used to be inside, at the very back of the cargo area. They're now, basically, in the same location, just under the floor.

The plan from here (in no particular order)

For the record, we love this truck just as it is. There are no plans to make any major cosmetic changes to it. Even the stock Alcoa wheels will stay. Anyone that knows me, knows I love the Ford Alcoas. We are considering having OMF add bead-locks, however... we'll see.

Replace cracked headers
Rebuild Exhaust
Replace front shocks with FOX to match the rear
Replace all aftermarket wiring with sPODS
Build center console with multiple radios, Magellan GPS, lighting controls, etc.
Replace instrument cluster and aftermarket gauges with AiM Sports digital dash
Possibly replace stock dash with a simple, custom-fabricated dash with lots of access panels for when we need to work on things
Replace seats with reclining seats, add folding seat feature (like the factory passenger seat) to both front seats
re-upholster rear seat
Add lots of Dynamat
Build a sliding rear floor so items stored in the cargo area can be easily accessed
Move spare to driver rear instead of passenger side to create a bit more visibility from the driver seat
Add ARB dual piston air compressor
Repair the diff skid-plate I broke lose when I tagged a rock
Replace the Transfer case skid plate Bechard banged up on a rock
Replace the speed sensor one of us damaged with a kicked up rock
... yeah, we played hard!
Replace A/C High-Pressure switch that is intermittently failing
Replace 5-point harnesses with camlock type instead of lever lock (for convenience)
Update rear amber light
Add back-up camera
Add complete communications test / service / work bench at tailgate area, including antenna tester, radio tester, test power cables, etc. Everything it takes to service race and chase cars in the field
Add inverter for AC power
****I know there's a lot I'm missing, but I wanted to update the GFB crew on what the plan is

Photos to follow.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

All you want to do has always been on my to do list. Glad you had fun.Next to do for me since teh Bronco lived in Baja. Many of my Bronco wish list have been incorporated on my Jeep. All good things, but more limited.
Hillbilly Heaven
Bronco Info: 1979 Bronco 545 swap 6R80 D60 front and 10.5 rear. Use for expedition camping go fast when at home

Post by Hillbilly Heaven »

Nice Bronco!! That is a long list of updates. Would love to see pics of how you mounted the batteries in the rear under the floor.
Becks_Bronco
Bronco Info: 96 Eddie Bauer, 5.8

Post by Becks_Bronco »

Hillbilly Heaven wrote:Nice Bronco!! That is a long list of updates. Would love to see pics of how you mounted the batteries in the rear under the floor.
i second this. I plan in running a "house" battery in mine and would like to look at putting one or both underneath.