Rugged Radios Stretched Bronco - Factory Race Support, Tacos, and Coffee!

SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Well, that did’t go as planned!

The family and I took Wilson to Cal City for Easter... got there around 10pm, set up camp, unloaded Wilson, my youngest daughter wanted to go for a ride so we gave it a quick and mild hot lap around camp.. worked great.

The next morning, I made some adjustments to the front shocks, took it for another hot lap, nothing crazy, just some mild whoops, no more than half throttle and, ZING! No more go. Just revs. All gears gone, fluid still looks like it just came out of the bottle.

Something just plain broke... maybe the pump? Anyway, trans is out and gets checked out soon.

The good news is, it didn’t fail in the middle of the desert, or in San Felipe, where it was scheduled to be in two days!

https://youtu.be/6C4YBcFvEUA
Sho nuff,
SteveG
AussieRod
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.

Re: Stretched GFB by Rugged-Wilson is back!

Post by AussieRod »

Probably took the splines out of the planetary (aluminum) just like what happened to yikes at Pizmo.
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Re:

Post by SteveG »

SteveG wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:41 pm
Well, that did’t go as planned!

The family and I took Wilson to Cal City for Easter... got there around 10pm, set up camp, unloaded Wilson, my youngest daughter wanted to go for a ride so we gave it a quick and mild hot lap around camp.. worked great.

The next morning, I made some adjustments to the front shocks, took it for another hot lap, nothing crazy, just some mild whoops, no more than half throttle and, ZING! No more go. Just revs. All gears gone, fluid still looks like it just came out of the bottle.

Something just plain broke... maybe the pump? Anyway, trans is out and gets checked out soon.

The good news is, it didn’t fail in the middle of the desert, or in San Felipe, where it was scheduled to be in two days!

https://youtu.be/6C4YBcFvEUA

I posted on my ig but never came back here with an update… the center shaft sheared. It looked like it had been fractured for a bit before finally letting go… one too many whoops!!!

A huge thanks to Don Moss for all the help getting it back together!!!
Sho nuff,
SteveG
805BroncoAZ
Bronco Info: 1993 Ford Bronco

Post by 805BroncoAZ »

Is there an original build thread on this truck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

I am pretty sure there is one, but it may be under Chris Wilson. Glen Straightiff built it. I was on a race team with Glen and Ramsey El Wardani back when it was in the shop.
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

The drive train in the Bronco was totally stock until I bought the Mogi unit from Kupiec. It supposedly was a fresh one.
Steve I saw your post last April about you breaking it. but I missed a follow-up on the replacement.
Can you tell me what you are now using?
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

805BroncoAZ wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:56 pm
Is there an original build thread on this truck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
=== = =
I guess you are new to the forum
Will do the search and post the results
Recognize that the rig is now revised since SteveG took it over. Body and cage remain.
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

PaulW wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:24 am
The drive train in the Bronco was totally stock until I bought the Mogi unit from Kupiec. It supposedly was a fresh one.
Steve I saw your post last April about you breaking it. but I missed a follow-up on the replacement.
Can you tell me what you are now using?
Hey Paul,

The same transmission, just rebuilt. The sheared center shaft was replaced with a billet unit. So far so good.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

Sad broken center shaft:
IMG-4334.JPG
IMG-4334.JPG (226.9 KiB) Viewed 4094 times
Sho nuff,
SteveG
SteveG
Admin

Re: Rugged Radios Stretched Bronco - Factory Race Support, Tacos, and Coffee!

Post by SteveG »

Fiiinally getting around to updating the brake system....

I know some people don't agree with it, but I'm removing the ABS system and booster system in favor a simple, manual brake set up with a LONG brake pedal and high ratio to make up for the loss of power brakes.

Right now, the car has an electric brake boost system. if I remember correctly, it's from a Lincoln... maybe Paul will correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway, the new set up will include two (identical) separate master cylinders for front and rear. In the event of a failure, front or rear will continue to work independently.

Also, the bracket is powder coated white because I can't stand dark parts in hard to reach areas... I want to be able to see when I'm hanging upside-down, trying to fix something under the dash!
Attachments
IMG_7821.jpeg
IMG_7821.jpeg (833.34 KiB) Viewed 3728 times
Sho nuff,
SteveG
toddz69

Post by toddz69 »

Looks like a nice piece! What will the pedal ratio be? I'll be curious of your impressions of it after you have it in the truck.

I believe Paul used the ABS Power Brake Service electric kit in the truck.

Todd Z.
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

toddz69 wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:28 pm
Looks like a nice piece! What will the pedal ratio be? I'll be curious of your impressions of it after you have it in the truck.

I believe Paul used the ABS Power Brake Service electric kit in the truck.

Todd Z.
Hey Todd, I don't remember the ratio. I'll have to look it up. As you can see in the photo, it's pretty long pedal (I think about 4" longer than stock), and the cylinders are way up there.

I'm curious to see how it feels, too. I like manual brakes because of the great feedback they provide. I assume and hope this will be no different.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

So I'm working on doing a better job of documenting things and stuff... people often ask about wheel travel numbers, droop versus bump travel.... Well, the truth is, these days, life is busy... family, work, and everything in between, means I don't usually think about that kind of stuff, but Broncos are a passion I love to share, so I'm working on it! Here's a full droop photo. I know I took measurements at the time of this photo but I couldn't locate them during a quick search. I'll either find them or measure again soon.
Attachments
64495401950__A01F7C6A-5B13-48BE-B8C5-0B2E3C869816 (1).jpeg
64495401950__A01F7C6A-5B13-48BE-B8C5-0B2E3C869816 (1).jpeg (961.05 KiB) Viewed 3715 times
Sho nuff,
SteveG
Nick
Founder
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target

Post by Nick »

Nice!
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
24hours
Bronco Info: looking for a white, ex-police 5.8 with brown interior (Found!) 1996, 5.8 XL

Post by 24hours »

In my opinion it remains the pinnacle of the stretched Broncos. The b Pilar retains the OEM aesthetic, it has links, but everything still tucks under the sheet metal. It looks as though it could have been delivered that way directly from Ford.

I personally can’t get enough of Wilson and was sad when I realized I missed it by just a few weeks when it was for sale.
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

Of course the build desire was to make it look OEM as possible.
Front fenders are glass by Autofab with the least amount of width. Rear fenders are just pushed out as far as possible without creating any wrinkles. Fitment and rear fenders were done by Glen Strightiff. The rear axle housing is the same width as any Econoline with a 9" which is slightly wider than stock Bronco/F150
24hours
Bronco Info: looking for a white, ex-police 5.8 with brown interior (Found!) 1996, 5.8 XL

Post by 24hours »

Well you guys did a phenomenal job. I took a ton of pics at the 1000 this year.
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

24hours wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:55 am
In my opinion it remains the pinnacle of the stretched Broncos. The b Pilar retains the OEM aesthetic, it has links, but everything still tucks under the sheet metal. It looks as though it could have been delivered that way directly from Ford.

I personally can’t get enough of Wilson and was sad when I realized I missed it by just a few weeks when it was for sale.
Hi Jay. Thanks. It really is a great truck. We used it often and it has served us very well! Fortunately, it was very well sorted when we got it and we haven’t made any major changes other than front shocks (changed to FOX internal bypass), and some reinforcing of the front, upper shock mounts. Aside from that, it’s really only been updates, rebuilds and typical prerunner things.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

Per usual, Rage to the River was a rad time! A recent re-valve in the front shocks (and removal of internal bypass components) paid off big time. The car drove like I wanted it to and took the rough and big bumps even better than it used to… can’t wait to get it out again for New Year’s.

https://youtube.com/shorts/hkE-p8eOC70? ... KZNh5cQxnm
Sho nuff,
SteveG
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

Pre-R2R shock rebuild (and video above)…

Shocks out… I like using the stock (but extended) inner fender-liners. They provide plenty of protection and remove in about 5 minutes… makes it way easier to get to things!
Attachments
8169D7AA-FAAF-477C-87D3-8AF2076FC76B.jpeg
8169D7AA-FAAF-477C-87D3-8AF2076FC76B.jpeg (236.83 KiB) Viewed 1035 times
Sho nuff,
SteveG