Rugged Radios Stretched Bronco - Factory Race Support, Tacos, and Coffee!

SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Re: Stretched GFB by Rugged-Wilson is back!

Post by SteveG »

I’ll try to post some photos after KOH. Basically, they’re under the floor, outboard of the frame rails, in front of the tail lamps.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

I'm interested to see them now, based on that description. In a regular bronco that real estate is full due to the body and then the shackle. I'm wondering due to the stretch the axle on Wilson is a bit forward of the tail lights compared to a standard bronco.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

4 link with coils means that area is pretty open
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Forgot about 4 link, and I guess you can just drop them down below the body at that point. Pretty willing to bet the guys asking to see the pics don't have links and may not be going there though...

That being said - here's how they were done on the Baja F-250. This is under the cab
1 081.jpg
1 081.jpg (78.31 KiB) Viewed 2923 times
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

*Edit* - Baja F250 ones are under the BED, not cab. They are up close to the cab though. There is more room up there (in front of the front spring hanger that is) since that truck is a long bed.
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

PaulW wrote:4 link with coils means that area is pretty open
Yup. I’ll post photos one of these days....
Sho nuff,
SteveG
SteveG
Admin

Dual Fuel Pumps by Paul Wilson-THANK YOU!!!

Post by SteveG »

PaulW wrote:4 link with coils means that area is pretty open
I still need to post those photos. I’ll be working on the rear battery cables soon. Will post then.

Baja 1000 prerun prep is in full swing. You guys know the drill. Time is a commodity I have little of, so I’m focusing on the critical items. But, I hate to do things twice and I’d much rather work on it at home that in Baja so, I’m putting in a couple hours at home most weeknights. The approach has been do at least one thing every night, regardless of how small. How do you eat an Elephant? One bite at a time....

So one of the items on my list was to add a secondary fuel pump that could be [relatively] easily switched to in the event of a fuel pump failure. The plan was simple. Mount it in-line along the fuel hose where it could easily be spliced in if needed. Well, Bondobob and/or Paul probably told me the following a while ago but I probably forgot.

Wilson has two fuel pumps in the tank (that sound you hear is angels singing). The setup is fantastic. Both are fully functioning, plumbed and and ready to roll. Fuel hoses from each pump meet up in a Y-block. In each hose, before the Y-block is a ball valve. One valve must remain open, the other closed. Power connectors for each are also present near the Y-block. One connected, one waiting for it’s turn.

When one fuel pump fails, you close one valve, open the other, swap the connector from one fuel pump to the other and done. It took me about 30 seconds. Freakin’ glorious!

I get to cross one time-consuming project off the list... couldn’t be happier! Instead, I’ll spend a few minutes checking all the fuel lines, adding zip-ties and abrasion protection as needed and swap the connectors to Deutsch simply because I like and have a good stock of them.

Thanks for setting this thing up so well, Paul! We will be in El Dorado Ranch Nov. 17. Hopefully we’ll see you.
CC308C21-7AF3-4D4C-954F-7CDF87E6F732.jpeg
CC308C21-7AF3-4D4C-954F-7CDF87E6F732.jpeg (176.92 KiB) Viewed 2772 times
Sho nuff,
SteveG
Pickuptrucker
Bronco Info: 1982 c6, 9" gears, lockers,

Post by Pickuptrucker »

That is smart
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

Here’s a long overdue photo of the battery relocation. Wilson has two batteries. One in each rear corner.

There are heavy duty, positive battery cables connecting both rear batteries, up the left side and across the engine bay... probably 20 feet of it. If any part of the cable is damaged and shorted to the chassis or body... no bueno! So, we installed 100 Amp Mega fuses at each battery so there’s only short jumpers to the fuses that are not protected... I’ll sleep better now. Ha!
B33BA387-1138-4A78-AF7D-2B0B56BF77D6.jpeg
B33BA387-1138-4A78-AF7D-2B0B56BF77D6.jpeg (178.96 KiB) Viewed 2670 times
611462C3-DBB9-4024-A5A0-F13A63F5714D.jpeg
611462C3-DBB9-4024-A5A0-F13A63F5714D.jpeg (107.38 KiB) Viewed 2669 times
Sho nuff,
SteveG
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Good call! My uncle learned the mega fuse deal the hard way unfortunately! Had a just finished project car (Renault r5 turbo with a nissan transplant in it) catch fire on a test drive. He made sure to show me and have me learn from his mistake. I was doing the battery move in the alfa at that time and it got a short jumper to megafuse too.
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:Good call! My uncle learned the mega fuse deal the hard way unfortunately! Had a just finished project car (Renault r5 turbo with a nissan transplant in it) catch fire on a test drive. He made sure to show me and have me learn from his mistake. I was doing the battery move in the alfa at that time and it got a short jumper to megafuse too.
Yeah, all that live power cable make me uneasy even just parking it in the yard. There's a 1/0 positive cable running across the back of the car, connecting both batteries... right behind 32 gallons of fuel. If it ever got tagged from the back, it could make for a good show and sad day.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
BDKW1
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!

Post by BDKW1 »

Why a fuse instead of a circuit breaker?
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

BDKW1 wrote:Why a fuse instead of a circuit breaker?
I worried about the jarring setting them off like the old Ford inertia switches... was a serious consideration, though.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
BDKW1
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!

Post by BDKW1 »

I have used the Bussman breakers on ore vehicles than I can remember. Have yet to see one trip from impact, not even something that I had considered.
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

BDKW1 wrote:I have used the Bussman breakers on ore vehicles than I can remember. Have yet to see one trip from impact, not even something that I had considered.
Good to know. I based my decision on my experience with the Ford breakers.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
Becks_Bronco
Bronco Info: 96 Eddie Bauer, 5.8

Post by Becks_Bronco »

Nicely done on the dual pumps!! Are those spare bungee cords zip-tied under there too?
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

The dual pumps was all Paul. I just recently realized it had this (even though Paul had already told me).

Haha. The bungees are to pull the limit straps inward so they don't flop out to the tires and get shredded.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

Soooo many hours in Wilson... tired of working on it, in fact! But, all the updates are good and we’re really happy about getting to use it soon.

There’s a still a lot on the to-do list, but they’re mostly small things and except for a small handful of things, it’s pretty much ready for the Baja 1000 prerun and #ruggedtacotour.

I need to take and post photos of the updates, but for now, here’s a couple fun ones.

So this year, instead of Bechard and I driving / co-dogging Wilson, I’m taking one of my daughters... so stoked about this!
D0E0E664-3C84-40FB-8320-D579524A0380.jpeg
D0E0E664-3C84-40FB-8320-D579524A0380.jpeg (225.88 KiB) Viewed 2526 times
Also, because this Bronco is named Wilson... he now wears his mascot proudly! Ignore the shite all around him...we’re bursting at the seams in our current building... can’t wait for the new one!
7BFE6907-EF62-447A-9CC4-AC8A1CC8DBEC.jpeg
7BFE6907-EF62-447A-9CC4-AC8A1CC8DBEC.jpeg (150.7 KiB) Viewed 2526 times
Sho nuff,
SteveG
mounty71
Bronco Info: Mercury Mountaineer

Stretched GFB by Rugged-Wilson is back!

Post by mounty71 »

Is there an original build thread for this thing somewhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

mounty71 wrote:Is there an original build thread for this thing somewhere?
There's no original build thread. There's another under Bondobob (who Rugged bought Wilson from) here on GFB.
Sho nuff,
SteveG