Rugged Radios Stretched Bronco - Factory Race Support, Tacos, and Coffee!

toddz69

Re: Rugged Radios Stretched Bronco - Factory Race Support, Tacos, and Coffee!

Post by toddz69 »

SteveG wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:17 pm
Per usual, Rage to the River was a rad time! A recent re-valve in the front shocks (and removal of internal bypass components) paid off big time. The car drove like I wanted it to and took the rough and big bumps even better than it used to… can’t wait to get it out again for New Year’s.

https://youtube.com/shorts/hkE-p8eOC70? ... KZNh5cQxnm
Working really well!

Todd Z.
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

toddz69 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:11 am
Working really well!

Todd Z.
Thanks! I’m REALLY happy with it. The car has always handled well and is super comfortable in the rough, but I’d never made time to tune it… finally decided to do something about it and, of course, I should have done it sooner!

Next up… just received my ported intake manifold. Still waiting on the throttle body.
Attachments
IMG_1270.jpeg
IMG_1270.jpeg (182.45 KiB) Viewed 872 times
IMG_1269.jpeg
IMG_1269.jpeg (201.38 KiB) Viewed 872 times
IMG_1271.jpeg
IMG_1271.jpeg (215 KiB) Viewed 872 times
Sho nuff,
SteveG
toddz69

Post by toddz69 »

Nice looking job there! And how are the brakes working with the new pedal setup?

Todd Z.
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

Wilson Truck Comments

- The ABS kit was not one of my great ideas. They worked ok after a bunch of tweaking. Looks like Steve is making it more conventional. My decision for ABS was the significant increase in line pressure versus stock. Oh well. Yes it is a 7000 # rig and needs really good brakes.
- Front shock were never altered since new. For sure I think a rebuild is in order. I did move the reservoirs from on top of the motor to a much better location.
We played with the King bumps to try to get rid of some of the harshness by lowering the pressure. Never had them apart since new.
- The rear is another story. The bumps are crap. We rebuilt them, but had a hard time with internal parts. They went back together in a marginal way. I would suggest replacing them.
- Steve, What is your comment the unconventional rear shocks. Happy or not? For others those shocks are setup as air shocks.
- The motor when Steve got WIlson was a stock unit. I always wanted to upgrade it. Single exhaust. I did add the heavy duty mounts that required mods for the radiator shroud because of the 1" lift at the stock fan. (Maybe 3/4").
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

PaulW wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:41 am
Wilson Truck Comments

- The ABS kit was not one of my great ideas. They worked ok after a bunch of tweaking. Looks like Steve is making it more conventional. My decision for ABS was the significant increase in line pressure versus stock. Oh well. Yes it is a 7000 # rig and needs really good brakes.
- Front shock were never altered since new. For sure I think a rebuild is in order. I did move the reservoirs from on top of the motor to a much better location.
We played with the King bumps to try to get rid of some of the harshness by lowering the pressure. Never had them apart since new.
- The rear is another story. The bumps are crap. We rebuilt them, but had a hard time with internal parts. They went back together in a marginal way. I would suggest replacing them.
- Steve, What is your comment the unconventional rear shocks. Happy or not? For others those shocks are setup as air shocks.
- The motor when Steve got WIlson was a stock unit. I always wanted to upgrade it. Single exhaust. I did add the heavy duty mounts that required mods for the radiator shroud because of the 1" lift at the stock fan. (Maybe 3/4").
Hey Paul!

I keep telling you we’ll meet up during the 250 but never manage to make the time… maybe next year? Lunch or something on me!

Honestly, for what they are, and what the truck is, the brakes work pretty damn well. Funny enough, I recently lost a brake line, which resulted in no front brakes… I realized this as I was mid turn, applying brakes, which turned into blowing an intersection, sideways at speed. Wilson was true gentleman and took it in stride. My passenger asked me, “What the f$%k are you doing!?” Haha. Could have been bad but turned out fine. Anyway, I replaced that line and bled the brakes… I don’t know that they’ve ever felt better. It makes me question the brake change, but I still think the simplification is a good idea.

We rebuilt the bumps when we first got the car. They seem to work fine. The recent re-valve was night and day. The car has always done well and, if I’m fair, most people would think it was phenomenal. But in the big stuff, the front packed a little and it just didn’t push off bumps the way I like. Now it keeps the front end up through the whoops and takes big hits event better… super happy with it an looking forward to dialing it in further.

Rear shocks: The air shock coil-over is cool. Having the ability to adjust for load is handy. I have found, however, that since if I’m taking the car out, all my gear is in it, so my load doesn’t change all the much. In light of this, I’m planning to re-spring the rear for my most common load, so then the air shocks will only come into play when i have extra.

While we did rebuild all the shocks on the car, we’ve never changed valving in the rear. In fact, I’ve never even adjusted the bypasses. On some rolling bumps or bug hits, the rear will “grow” and I keep saying I’ll make time to tune it but, you know… has worked well enough to have a damn god time so I never did it. Life hasn’t slowed down, but I’m prioritizing the things that make me happy, and Wilson is one of them, so it’s getting extra love these days. More shock tuning eminent.

Oh, I should mention that people love the air shock set up. Some of the guys from Fox were drooling over it at the 500 last year. Haha.

Engine: Despite 156-ish thousand miles, a lot of them hard, a leaking air intake tube that caused it to eat A LOT of dirt, lean out an melt a head gasket, that 5.8 still runs great! The AFR cylinder head upgrade certainly helped. Still, the new engine is going to be next level… can’t wait.

Good to hear from you!
Sho nuff,
SteveG
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

Throttle body came in today… parts are starting to accumulate for the engine rebuild!
Attachments
IMG_1304.jpeg
IMG_1304.jpeg (196.19 KiB) Viewed 776 times
IMG_2023-12-20-192748.jpeg
IMG_2023-12-20-192748.jpeg (168.87 KiB) Viewed 776 times
Sho nuff,
SteveG
ntsqd
Bronco Info: '70 Early Bronco SuperCab Shortbed Pick-up "Bronc-up" aka "Frank(entruck)", '96 OJB "Blanc-Oh!"

Post by ntsqd »

Who did the massaging of the TB? Why not a BBK TB?

I had Ryan at JGM Motorsports build my 408. I have yet to install it, but I am very happy with his communication and follow-thru even when I asked him to do something that goes against the grain for most - paint the AL cylinder heads. Contrast that with a prominent, old school name in the SF Valley who didn't listen to anything that I asked for when I had the first 408 built. That engine would have NEVER run right or have done what I needed it to do.

FWIW I put the correct 49 state (mine is originally a FL truck) Magnaflow cat system on the truck and I could not be happier. Granted I was working with a severely constipated exhaust system, but just changing to the Magnaflow feels like I gained 100 HP. This from an all stock engine with 231k on the odo. It is now 3.0" from the Y to the exit and all mandrel bends. I do have one little leak that I have yet to be able to track down. Only happens under load and lacking a chassis dyno I'm having a tough time simulating that in the driveway.
Cross-threaded is tighter than Lock-Tite.
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

The guys that did the intake manifold porting also do throttle body so I figured it would be good to have it all matched. I’ve also not heard good things about aftermarket throttle bodies… I like stock, so it seemed like a win to me.

Regarding Magnaflow exhaust on Broncos… well, I just got back from a visit to them last night. They did a complete new system with two new cats and two new mufflers, one with their No Drone Technology. To say I’m impressed is a complete understatement. The exhaust was obnoxiously loud before and had a drone that you could feel in your eardrums.. not pleasant! The new system is quieter, looks WAY better, makes more power, engine runs smoother… so, so good!

We also got a tour of the facility and a history lesson. It turns out Magnaflow is a family owned business with tons of long-term employees… incredible facility with even better people. Between that, and seeing everything (raw materials, fitment, assembly) they put into their product, it makes me a huge fan. It’s dark out, but I’ll shoot some photos of the new exhaust and post later. Here’s a teaser ;)
Attachments
IMG_2024-01-16-200159.png
IMG_2024-01-16-200159.png (991.06 KiB) Viewed 657 times
Sho nuff,
SteveG
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

It started with a giant air cleaner....

ImportedPhoto.734463484.615146.jpeg
ImportedPhoto.734463484.615146.jpeg (202.7 KiB) Viewed 172 times

And escalated to manual brakes!

ImportedPhoto.734463484.615929.jpeg
ImportedPhoto.734463484.615929.jpeg (200.48 KiB) Viewed 172 times
Sho nuff,
SteveG
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

Did the porting ever get done on the intake Steve, or did that ever happen? The exhaust looks great. Why manual brakes?
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
ntsqd
Bronco Info: '70 Early Bronco SuperCab Shortbed Pick-up "Bronc-up" aka "Frank(entruck)", '96 OJB "Blanc-Oh!"

Post by ntsqd »

At first I thought maybe it got in the way of the intake plumbing, but looking at the engine cage it's more in the way than the booster could ever be. FWIW Bill Wood once commented to me that those brake bias adjusters are the singular largest headache his tech people have and he'd discontinue them if he though he could.

Must admit to being curious what the solenoid looking device on the frame rail is. The unit with the mostly obscured blue ano'd housing.
hobbyturnedobsession

No edit and I missed it. Sorry Steve!
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

hobbyturnedobsession wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:57 am
Did the porting ever get done on the intake Steve, or did that ever happen? The exhaust looks great. Why manual brakes?
No worries! Yes. Porting is done and waiting for the new engine. Although, I'm tempted to install it on the current engine just to feel the difference.

The current system was a hotrod braking system that used an electric hydraulic pump for brake assist (power brakes). It's worked well for a long time, but the master cylinder has been bypassing occasionally for some time now. I was talking to Mark Newhan about the brakes on it some time ago and he suggested putting a giant brake pedal in it and going full manual. I'm a fan of the brake feel in manual brakes and he said with the additional leverage (from something like 6:1 to 16:1), there would be plenty of braking power. Plus, it frees up a lot of space under the hood... looking forward to that!
Sho nuff,
SteveG
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

ntsqd wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:12 pm
FWIW Bill Wood once commented to me that those brake bias adjusters are the singular largest headache his tech people have and he'd discontinue them if he though he could.
Good to know. I hadn't planned this brake change now, especially considering I a have a trip into Nevada next weekend, but it's started and I'm looking forward to putting it to bed! Fortunately, the shop doing the work says they're familiar with tuning these bias adjusters and said he'd set it "very close". Fingers crossed!
ntsqd wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:12 pm
Must admit to being curious what the solenoid looking device on the frame rail is. The unit with the mostly obscured blue ano'd housing.
It's part of the hydraulic assist brake system that's being removed. Lincoln Continental part if I'm not mistaken.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
ntsqd

Post by ntsqd »

When I was working for Bill my mentor there came up with a simple formula for manual brakes. The overall leverage ratio target is 95:1 when considering the front calipers only. It can drop as low as 93:1 before the pedal feel becomes too stiff for almost everyone, but it can range up to about 100:1 before nearly everyone will complain about the pedal feeling 'mushy.' The overall ratio is the hydraulic ratio times the mechanical (pedal) ratio. Based on that I'm assuming that the m/c bore size being used is rather large so that the m/c piston "take-up" stroke is short (lots of fluid volume for very little movement) and the really large pedal ratio keeps the pedal travel from being excessive. I'd have expected those two factors to zero each other out, but I'm gonna go off and play with an Excel file to see.......
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

Well, sir. You clearly have way more experience and insight on this topic... since I'm, fortunately, not doing the work, I'll either get it it and love it, or learn it. Either way, I'm excited to have this project started. It's been in the works for a long time.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
hobbyturnedobsession

SteveG wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:13 pm
hobbyturnedobsession wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:57 am
No worries! Yes. Porting is done and waiting for the new engine. Although, I'm tempted to install it on the current engine just to feel the difference.

The current system was a hotrod braking system that used an electric hydraulic pump for brake assist (power brakes). It's worked well for a long time, but the master cylinder has been bypassing occasionally for some time now. I was talking to Mark Newhan about the brakes on it some time ago and he suggested putting a giant brake pedal in it and going full manual. I'm a fan of the brake feel in manual brakes and he said with the additional leverage (from something like 6:1 to 16:1), there would be plenty of braking power. Plus, it frees up a lot of space under the hood... looking forward to that!
I would be too. From flow numbers I've read, there is alot that can be done on the intakes. I have a 5.0 explorer waiting for me to scab the rear brakes and the motor out of for a rebuild, and was considering having it ported. I was concerned about slowing down the air speed velocity though. Ah, I gotcha. I like the simplicity of manual brakes. My bug has them and you can feel what is going on when you hit em. Also, less to go wrong, so that definitely helps. I remember Tom going to manual brakes and he said he didn't really notice a stiffness issue at all. I just stuck a 350 mc and booster in Carlys and it does eat ALOT of room.