Love the odd Aussie only stuff Rod!
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
AussieRod
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.

Re: Introducing a new APEMFB member!

Post by AussieRod »

Update 24 September (got the date right, this time):
A lot has got done over the last week or three, and it is finally drive-able.
Built a harness to run the propane AND gasoline (if Mick decides to go back to dual fuel) with new relays, wiring and corrugated jacket. Made a mount similar to the one on my truck to hold the propane convertor and re-plumbed slightly to make it work. Added P clips to brake lines and propane hoses to make everything secure (and legal) and did some serious re-wiring of the engine and body harness to tidy up the shit nest I started with. Most of the fittings, hoses, etc. came straight off my truck (I'll make replacements later as required) to save time and keep things tidy. The power steer pump had new O rings fitted to the pressure fitting and now it's bone dry.
I found the problem with the steering box, some IDIOT rebuilt the box using a Falcon sector shaft. These are 1/4" shorted at the bottom and have a slightly smaller spline area. That means the F truck pitman arm goes further onto the spline area and the splines stuck through, requiring a step washer to clear the shoulder. The pitman arm hits the bottom of the box before the nut can even come close to tightening everything up. So, I took the arm to work, carefully ground a 1/4" deep groove around the spline end and after pre-heating, laid 2 VERY hot passes to fill the groove with the MIG. I allowed it to air cool and after an hour, ran it on the linisher to smooth it up. Came up a treat. It now fits almost spot on, goes tight and leaves about 3/32" clearance to the box. (The welding shrank the end, in case no-one understands why I welded it.) The radiator support and both fenders got their respective areas wire brushed (rotary brush on my 5" grinder), sand blasted, sanded and painted white inside. The rad support was done on the front side and painted satin black. Once the paint was dry, they were reinstalled and the front re-aligned to the hood. I've used my radiator, brackets and hoses to finish the job and panel-beated the LH grille bracket back straight. Many other small details were taken care of, and the Bronco looks a million bucks under the hood.
RH fender painted:
P1010021.JPG
P1010021.JPG (83.84 KiB) Viewed 1052 times
Front partially assembled:
P1010016.JPG
P1010016.JPG (74.22 KiB) Viewed 1052 times
P1010017.JPG
P1010017.JPG (87.99 KiB) Viewed 1052 times
P1010019.JPG
P1010019.JPG (73.85 KiB) Viewed 1052 times
New King +1" springs in place:
P1010018.JPG
P1010018.JPG (85.85 KiB) Viewed 1052 times
To be cont.
AussieRod
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.

Post by AussieRod »

Sept 24 cont:
Front re-assembled, ready for the filler panel and bumper:
P1010022.JPG
P1010022.JPG (86.85 KiB) Viewed 1051 times
A few engine bay shots:
P1010025.JPG
P1010025.JPG (76.72 KiB) Viewed 1051 times
P1010023.JPG
P1010023.JPG (87.29 KiB) Viewed 1051 times
P1010026.JPG
P1010026.JPG (83.64 KiB) Viewed 1051 times
I'm currently in the process of repairing the Y pipe, it will get welded up at work tomorrow, and I've ordered a muffler and some straight pipe, so I can build the connector and tailpipe to complete the exhaust. Once that is doen, I will attack the auto and rear diff. The auto needs some O rings in the shift levers and kick-down spindle to stop leaks, the dipstick tube will be replaced with a TCI replacement and it will have a filter change while I have the pan off. The T-case lever(s) need a slight bend to clear both the exhaust and the shifter cable. The 9" will get a new pumpkin gasket and axle bearings, and the brakes checked, bled and cleaned up. Oh yeah, the master cylinder took a major dump when we tried to bleed the "new" calipers, so a new one was ordered and fitted. Once the Y pipe is back on tomorrow, along with the old muffler (temporary), I'll start putting the dash back together and finish tidying up all the loose wiring, etc.
I'll take more pics tomorrow as progress happens. Cheers.
AussieRod

Post by AussieRod »

October 12, time for another update.
Been doing a lot of OT lately at work, so we can get the crossover bridge for the hospital finished. This has been a mammoth project for us, and it's finally going together for transport in sections to the fit-up area for the big lift. This has made it hard to find time for the Bronco. Last weekend, I managed to pick up a disposable bottle and gauge for my MIG, and made up the connector with muffler and a tailpipe for the beast. I was forced to take it all to work to weld on the flanges, because I needed some gas to do a cooker repair at the fish and chip shop. Nevertheless, I welded on the flanges and hangers, slapped on some paint and got the exhaust done:
P1010027.JPG
P1010027.JPG (87.62 KiB) Viewed 995 times
New 3" Flowmaster and 3" mandrel tailpipe, ready to install.
P1010028.JPG
P1010028.JPG (89.32 KiB) Viewed 995 times
Made it exit out the side right behind the mudflap, to keep fumes out.

In between work on the exhaust, I pulled the axles and pumpkin out of the 9" and had a look to see where the leaks were coming from. The LH axle bearing was almost new, so it stayed, but the RH bearing and seal were done. The splines showed some heavy wear from the trac-lok gears, so I fitted a new Timken bearing kit to my spare axle and installed that. The pumpkin gasket hadn't been replaced when it was removed some time previously, and the centre was re-installed with bathroom silicone. The diff oil has basically dissolved that and it leaked around the lower stud holes. I made sure both surfaces were scrupulously clean and re-fitted the centre with a new gasket and a liberal coating of UltraCopper sealant. It now has zero leaks. This weekend, I will re-assemble all the dash and interior, start on the auto and 4WD shift lever and then attack the rusty bodywork. The Flowmaster has a nice healthy note and with some minor tuning on the Impco carb, it boogies along nicely. Almost ready for inspection and hand over. More updates soon.
AussieRod

Post by AussieRod »

November 15, how time flies.
Well, the engine is currently being removed (again) to replace the rear main seal. I've been meaning to update progress, but I've either been too busy or too lazy, sorry. Sue me.
I did the auto seals, although the selector shaft seal was ok, the O ring on the kick down lever was missing and without the lever installed, there was a leak. That was fixed, and the lock nut on the band adjuster was leaking too, so I replaced that. It was a herculean effort at night with only my little floodlight, but I got it done, the valve body back in and the pan on and re-filled. The next morning, there is pink fluid on the ground: the pan gasket (firm rubber) won't seal on the stamped steel pan, will it. So, I carefully cleaned all my drain pans until I could eat out of them and re-removed the pan, used Ultra Blue silicone carefully around both pan and casing and tried again. This time, the auto is bone dry. However, after an extended test drive to work and back, plus in town to pick up random stuff needed to finish the Bronco, I got home and checked for fluid leaks, only to find engine oil (a lot of oil) on the rear of the oil pan, dripping off the bell-housing and on the trans pan. So, it's coming out to replace the crank seal. I'm hoping it is the neoprene seal, as it will be easy to replace. Otherwise, if it's a rope seal, I'll have to pull the crank to change it to the neoprene one. I also have to fit the adjustable cams for a wheel alignment (it tramlines badly with those big square shouldered tyres) and pull the front quad shocks off. The ride is like running over 4 x 4 timber on even small bumps and corrugations are hell on earth. With those Monroe gas shocks (2 on each front) it is way over damped with the new springs. It's worth the experiment to see what difference it makes, anyway.
We are also going back to the factory steel styled wheels with 32/11.5R15s, to get rid of those heavy tractor tyres. I hate Cooper tyres. The slightly rounded tread surface on the new tyres will help stop or limit the tram-lining and make it drive better (hopefully). The old rims and tyres will be sold on eBay. Mick and I are both going to use the same type wheels and tyres, so we can swap or use each other's spares in an emergency out bush. I'll snap some pictures tomorrow.
Cheers.
AussieRod

Post by AussieRod »

April 7, and a new year to boot.
Would you believe I am STILL working on this thing? Every time I touch something to fix it, I find 2 - 3 more fuck-ups someone else did. I've been busier than a one legged man in an arse kicking contest at home and with work, and now I'm working FIFO in QLD, at a copper mine, 2 weeks on, one week off. This is my week off, so I'm trying to get this bloody thing finished for Mick. :oops:
The engine had to come out (again) due to an oil leak, which turned out to be the rear main. I had hoped it was a neoprene seal, but no, it had to be a rope seal, so out came the crank. Once the crank was out, it became apparent why it was leaking, half an inch of the upper part was MISSING! Gone. NADA. So, after a careful cleaning, I fitted a Fel Pro neoprene seal, new ACL main and big end bearings and buttoned it all back up. I tell you, getting the crank out past the rod bolts AND back in by myself was an effort. Luckily, I didn't damage anything and while the engine was out and apart, I replaced the worn out Erson TQ20 cam and lifters with an Elgin RV cam and also fitted a Edelbrock Airgap intake. After refitting the engine and a little tuning, the Hulk gets along nicely. The oil pressure has improved 10 psi, too. The rims were replaced with the local 15 x 7 steel styled rims they fit here, powder coated satin black and Comforser 32x11.5R15 M/T's to replace all the odd 15 x 8 rims and Coopers it had on it. I also installed my adjustable cams and did a "home" wheel alignment and it looks great now, no more old VW camber on the front wheels. Wouldn't you know it, I hit the alignment perfect, it tracks straight, no squeal or pull and the camber is spot on at zero. The M/T's are really quiet on the road, and now, with a rebuilt steering box, it drives nice. I'm arms deep in the tailgate right now, trying to get the locks to work properly and I hope it will go back together tomorrow. Monday, I'll take it for the first inspection and see what else I have to do, and try and get it done before I go back next week for my next swing away in QLD. I'll take pics tomorrow and post them up when I have time.
Cheers.
AussieRod

Post by AussieRod »

May 1st:
The Hulk (the nickname we have given the Bronco, Shrek is the Discovery is FINALLY on it's way to it's proud and impatient owner. I finished up the roadworthy inspection today, and I will drive it down to Melb to deliver it this arvo. Tomorrow I head back to QLD for another 2 weeks, then it's back to the F100, waiting patiently for me in the garage. Hopefully, I can finish assembling the engine and get it installed before the next swing back to work. It's so good earning decent money now, I can order parts and they are ready when I get home to install. I have a shitload sitting there right now, but I'm waiting for some more engine bits to finish the assembly and get 'er running again. My camera finally shit the bed this morning, so I'll have to wait until next break to buy a new replacement.
Cheers.
AussieRod

Post by AussieRod »

Sunday 30 September:
A small update. The re-occouring brake problem has reared it's ugly head again, although now it is confirmed that the proportioning valve is the culprit. The rear cylinders had been recently replaced, but the valve started leaking badly through the warning light switch and air keeps getting into the rear circuit. I made a short hi-tensile bolt plug with a copper washer to seal the switch hole while we wait for the replacement valve to come from America. After a good bleed, the rear brakes are working again and we did a few other things. I forgot to get a pic of the resonator install, but I cut the tailpipe just behind the hanger and installed my 12" bullet muffler. The note is much subdued now, a lot easier on the ear inside the Bronco, and the neighbours will be happier. I also swapped out the speedo drive gear from a 20 tooth to an 18 tooth to get the speedometer more inline with actual road speed. Mike has had 2 camera fines in a month, so that needed to be addressed to save his licence. They were only a few Km/h over the limit, but still cost him some money and points. My GPS puts the speedo at 2 km/h faster than road speed, to give him a safety buffer.
A couple of pics:
Needs a wash:
P1010161.JPG
P1010161.JPG (75.44 KiB) Viewed 666 times
His wheel and tyre combo. Factory steel 15" x 7" steel wheels with 32-11.5R15 Comforser M/T's:
P1010162.JPG
P1010162.JPG (89.05 KiB) Viewed 666 times
No need for flares, they are quiet and grip good in the dry. The wet, without sipes, they can be a little hairy, but still good control and grip if he is light on the gas pedal.
I'll have more once we get some more things done to it.
Cheers.
AussieRod

Post by AussieRod »

Sunday July 21:
The Hulk is back for some TLC. It developed a miss a couple of weeks ago, and with Mum passing away, work and the funeral, I finally got to go down to Dad's house with a tandem trailer and bring her back to my place to diagnose the miss. We'd tried everything else the previous Saturday, but the miss just got worse. I figured it was either a cracked seat in #3, or a head gasket. I'm too bloody old now to go crawling over the fenders of these things, so out came the front radiator support so I could access the engine. Work smart, not hard ;)
P1010060.JPG
P1010060.JPG (75.47 KiB) Viewed 545 times
Anyway, first thing was pull the right side head to see what was going on. This is what I found:
P1010062.JPG
P1010062.JPG (86.68 KiB) Viewed 545 times
I blew the head gasket between #3 and #4. These were cheap shit head gaskets fitted 10 years + ago when these heads went on to replace the 302 small chamber heads that were on it. The valves were all nice coloured from the propane:
P1010061.JPG
P1010061.JPG (85.32 KiB) Viewed 545 times
AussieRod

Post by AussieRod »

Sunday July 21:
The Hulk is back for some TLC. It developed a miss a couple of weeks ago, and with Mum passing away, work and the funeral, I've hardly had time to scratch myself. I finally got to go down to Dad's house with a tandem trailer yesterday to bring her back to my place to diagnose the miss. We'd tried everything else the previous Saturday, but the miss just got worse. I figured it was either a cracked seat in #3, or a head gasket. I'm too bloody old now to go crawling over the fenders of these things, so out came the front radiator support so I could access the engine. Work smart, not hard ;)
P1010060.JPG
Anyway, first thing was pull the right side head to see what was going on. This is what I found:
P1010062.JPG
It blew the head gasket between #3 and #4. These were cheap shit head gaskets fitted 10 years + ago when these heads went on to replace the 302 small chamber heads that were on it. The valves were all nice coloured from the propane:
P1010061.JPG
#3 clearly has oil coming through from the reversion in the intake and a broken valve stem seal. There is a lot of compressor oil through the intake due to using propane (from the propane filling stations as they don't use filters in-line). I'm going to pull the other head tomorrow arvo, and replace both gaskets with Felpro ones. Believe it or not, it was far cheaper to buy a FULL Felpro gasket set than to buy a VRS. Once the gasket set arrives, I'll clean up one head at a time, replace the valve stem seals and re-fit the head completely, then do the other one. That way, I can gauge how the valve heads and guides look and replace any that need it. I have a full set of valves in my box of spares if needed and I might even change the exhaust valves just in case. Couldn't hurt none. The power steering hi pressure hose is also leaking, so I might repair that at the same time, plus the PS box plug on the top cover also leaks. The oil and filter will get done, too. Anyway, I'll update more once I get started on the re-assembly.
Cheers ;)
AussieRod

Post by AussieRod »

Oh FFS. Why can't we have edit? :evil: :evil:
Dunno what happened there, but the pic, in order:
P1010060.JPG
P1010060.JPG (75.47 KiB) Viewed 548 times
P1010062.JPG
P1010062.JPG (86.68 KiB) Viewed 548 times
P1010061.JPG
P1010061.JPG (85.32 KiB) Viewed 548 times
AussieRod

Post by AussieRod »

What the blazes happened there? :? :?
AussieRod

Post by AussieRod »

I must have hit submit instead of preview on the first one, then stuffed up the second one somehow........ my bad.
LvSteve
Bronco Info: 1995 XLT Sport. 96 427w e4od obd II system........ SOLD IT

Post by LvSteve »

You may want to look into The Comrtic head gasket. Most engine shops here have switch over to them. Here is a example

https://www.cometic.com/i-24769244-ford ... -each.html
LvSteve
Bronco Info: 1995 XLT Sport. 96 427w e4od obd II system........ SOLD IT

Post by LvSteve »

sorry no edit Cometic
AussieRod

Post by AussieRod »

LvSteve wrote:sorry no edit Cometic
I've always used the Felpro fire-ring head gaskets with 100% success. This is the first head gasket failure I've ever had on a Clevland engine, period. If my remebering is correct, it was 14 years ago I fitted these heads, so that's not too bad. I've heard good reports about the Cometic gaskets, but really never had the opportunity to try them.
AussieRod

Post by AussieRod »

July 26:
I pulled the other head last night to see what the other gasket looked like, and sure enough, between 5 & 6 and 7 & 8, the gasket is discoloured and on the way out. The heads are flat and so is the block on both sides, so I'll put this down to poor quality head gaskets and running propane (it burns hotter than gasoline in the chamber). I'm waiting for a new set of Comp Cams single springs to replace the heavily shimmed stockers and I have a brand new set of TRW 2V inlet and exhaust valves to use as well. Several of the old valves look a bit thin on the edges, so I'll pull one head apart at a time, check everything and fit new valves, seals and springs before re-install. I'll take some pics tomorrow during clean up.
Cheers.