Mom & Dad's Thanksgiving Bronco

1Hondalover
Bronco Info: Having so much fun with friends in Baja, we're not sure if we want to race NORRA.....

Re: Mom & Dad's Thanksgiving Bronco

Post by 1Hondalover »

New 33" tires with alignment to include all new tie rods, bushings, ball joints and associated components are next on the list. The pumpkins have factory 3.55 in them now, but I'm guessing this won't be great for power or mileage with the 33's.

Mom & Dad's Thanksgiving Bronco is 5.8L and obviously E4OD. Keeping in mind we will not tow anything, and this will be my DD for a little while to burn the freeways.....what do you guys think for a new gear ratio?
Tchajagos
Bronco Info: 1993 xlt stock on 33' BFGs

Post by Tchajagos »

Mine is perfectly fine with stock gears and 33" tires. With the 5.8l I'm getting 15 mpg combined.
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

4.10sm
VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

My thinking is this- there's at least a 50/50 chance you'll want 35's at some point. I have 4.56's and 35's and wish they were 4.88's- personally with an overdrive and 33's I think 4.56's are a better choice- but hey that's just me ;-)
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
1Hondalover
Bronco Info: Having so much fun with friends in Baja, we're not sure if we want to race NORRA.....

Post by 1Hondalover »

Think we'll go to 4.10 when the time comes. Tuesday we go for the all-new front end pieces, alignment and 33" BFG show. This will officially kick off Daily Driver duty.

Based on the few short drives, I can already feel the wallow in the brand new Rough Country shocks. 5100 Bils are in the cards I'm sure, but I come to find out they're only available 4" lift and up. This means they'll bottom with the 2.5" lift Mom & Dad will be running.

What to do now without custom fab?
tcm glx
Peanut Butter

Post by tcm glx »

hollandermotorsports
Bronco Info: 1990 Bronco lifted, 1995 Centurian F-150 with body lift delete

Post by hollandermotorsports »

If you get the lengths you need it can get quoted through fox at my dealer price for oem replacement stuff if that will help save some cash and get you on the road quick. It's looking good.
1Hondalover

Post by 1Hondalover »

Thanks guys.....unfortunately 4" lift is too much for Mom & Dad and the Fox option sounds expensive. With few exceptions I'm trying to keep this thing original, which means nothing removed that isn't bolted on from Ford or holes drilled in the frame etc. Looks like the rear 5100's will work but I'm going to try calling Bilstein tech to see if there's some 5100's from another vehicle that will fir the 2.5" lift. The valving might not be right though.....

Anyone know anybody in off road engineering at Bilstein? It's a fine line between stock Bronco goes pretty fast and Solo parts.

Sort of a game.
tcm glx
Peanut Butter

Post by tcm glx »

Call up Wally at ORW in San Diego Jim.....he may be able to wrk with you on a bolt in Bilstein from a different truck. Maybe Fox as an option too, I know they have a 2.5" bolt in option for newer f250s with leveling kit, lengths might work.
hollandermotorsports

I understand. Last set of oem replacements I ordered for a buddy were like $80 a shock pretty comparable to bilsteins that's why I threw it out there. Let me know if there is anywhere I can help.
1Hondalover

Post by 1Hondalover »

I assume the 5100 Bils are not OE valving, in that they're obviously much more capable and advanced to deliver a reasonable street ride but better control the bumps off road. This is why they're only offered for lifted rigs?

Is the Fox offering same kind of thing?
hollandermotorsports

You can get all sorts of lengths in 5100 with all sort of ends for mounting. The problem is you have to find someone willing to go above and beyond to find the shock best for your exact application (mounts and valving) or you have to do the research and just provide a part number. There are a few good part guys that I know willing to go the extra mile. Both are at ORW in escondido one is Jason Edwards the other is Wally. I bought 60% of the parts for my build from ORW because of Jason's help and our killer racer discount. If I cannot buy from them I set up dealer pricing with the manufacturer and do the work my self. Its kinda like when they ask you if your truck is 2wd or 4wd at auto zone when you are buying headlights or windshield wipers. Good parts guys are hard to find these days.

Fox has their generic valving for particular shocks for particular vehicles. But they can be re valved as well. Another thought is a few of my good friends started a company called Agile Off-road they do ttb conversions for ford vans. They custom valve fox shocks for customers around the world for these 4x4 vans the package is called RIP. Maybe call them and pick their brain. Ramsey, Glen, and John all know their stuff when it comes to shocks. They can get you 100% dialed for sure.
1Hondalover

Post by 1Hondalover »

Still working on the shocks and bumpers while getting ready to put Mom & Dad's Thanksgiving Bronco on the road. We cleaned up the thingy with new brake lines and vent fittings/hoses, flushed the brake system, new front rotors & pads, misc other tidbits to clean up the unserviceable stuff. I see the 'ol 8.8 is going to need some love.....it's pretty loose and a little weepy. No 9" here but I may extract it for Giant truss, check it for straight, rebuild it with 4.11 and see if there's a bolt-on F150 style disc setup to use OE Ford parts and a parking brake.
7-12-16 Reeves Bronco brake service.JPG
7-12-16 Reeves Bronco brake service.JPG (114.49 KiB) Viewed 879 times
IMG_0809 (Large).JPG
IMG_0809 (Large).JPG (330.66 KiB) Viewed 879 times
1Hondalover

Post by 1Hondalover »

......and just now I got a call that we're done at the alignment shop with new shoes.
IMG_0801 (Large).JPG
IMG_0801 (Large).JPG (384.12 KiB) Viewed 879 times
Tchajagos

Post by Tchajagos »

Super shiny wow. I wouldn't even bother with rear disk brakes. Like 80% of braking is done by the front. Upgrade the fronts first.
Hit me up if you need stuff done :)
toddz69

Post by toddz69 »

1Hondalover wrote:see if there's a bolt-on F150 style disc setup to use OE Ford parts and a parking brake.
Other than redrilling the hole pattern in the rotors, the 95-01 Explorer setup should bolt right in.

Todd Z.
1Hondalover

Post by 1Hondalover »

1Hondalover wrote:I see the 'ol 8.8 is going to need some love.....it's pretty loose and a little weepy.
Thanks for the comments and help guys. Think I'm going to consider a budget for a pretty stiff rehab on the 8.8, and would appreciate feedback as applicable. Please remember this is Mom & Dad's Thanksgiving Bronco aka Jim's DD until then. Good road manners are a must. GoFast in the dirt is as much as Mom & Dad will go.....nothing like any of us would do, so we're trying to keep it basic but strong in rebuild or OE-style upgraded parts. Prime resale is key, so most things OE will remain that way except necessary GFB things like minor (and bolt-on) suspension, tires and other necessities. I already hate the OE rear springs and crappy Rough Country pogo stick "Nitro" shocks, but these pieces have to live for a bit. How I may consider dropping the 8.8 out for rehab:

* Disconnect it, drop it and strip it. Make sure all housing components outer and inner are good and to spec.
* Have Giant install their backside truss, then straighten.
* Paint or powder coat it.
* All new seals, bearings and etc.
* New 4.11 gears with stronger carrier/LS.
* Reuse 31 spline axles as long as they're not worn down at the outer bearing. Slightly upgraded axles if need new.....1/2" studs to remain.
* Economical OE Ford disc conversion using only OE Ford parts but no re-drilled rotors. Rear disc only for cool, resale and a bit more safety since C-clip exists.

I get the truss is a little out of character here, but it will insure no future issues for the "normal" off roader. Seems like such investment for an old 8.8 is a bit much, like I should maybe find a newer used 8.8 with OE discs, regear it and bolt it up? Is there such a thing out of an F150 or are they all wider? 9" and any other swap is out of the question. In whatever form, I'd like to have a single shop or at least as few possible stops at multiple locations to complete this. What really sucks is that we're up here and everyone else is somewhere well south of here.

Does anyone know if Geoff/Giant is capable of straightening a housing and setting up a R&P? What about Bobby/Solo? This industry is too full of "we can do it no problem/we do it all the time" skidmarks. The time & money it cost us in Baja when the 9 loosened up will never happen again. I'd like to do it right and once, but this is not a trophy truck budget. Another fine line.....

Thoughts?
Tchajagos

Post by Tchajagos »

The only problem I've had with a stock 8.8 is the inner pinion bearing going out and puking fluid out. Still drove home 100 miles and no damage. I think it was messed up when I bought it and lasted another 4 years. I've seen the axle tube bend out of the center but I think they were jumping their bronco. I've done 40-50 through good size woops, light jumping, and other floggings. The 8.8 that's under it now has held up with no issues. Ruffstuff makes a nice heavy duty truss you can easily and cheaply put on.
hollandermotorsports

I have had 8.8 issues on broncos and explorers in the past. They separate where the tube presses into casting. We have welded and got a little more life out of them. As Bobby told me he has seen some live for years of abuse and others break soon as they hit dirt. If you can find a decent junk yard 9" it will cost the same to rebuild either the 8.8 or 9" maybe a little cheaper on the 9". Solo can re gear. For straightening I use Bob Myers down in El cajon I know it would be a drive but he is good. I know of a guy that has a stock bronco 9" from mid 80s if you want I can see if he wants to sell. He lives u please by you as well I believe.
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

I had the same issue with the 8.8 in my Bronco with the tubes separating from the cast housing.
With in a year I bent it again and went to a 9+ Currie rear end. It is still going strong after 15+ years of hard use.

David...